Trouble getting started

Honzo

Sep 14, 2022, 10:42:09 AM9/14/22
to yWriter
The app looks like what I'm looking for, but the interface is arcane. I've tried several times to start a new project and import a work in progress from LibreOffice. I put "Chapter 1" at the top of the file. I put '* * *' at the scene break. I saved the file as .rtf. I named the file Chapter 1. I tried to 'import to new project.'  I found the .rtf file, and imported it. I added the numeral 1 to the Chapter heading. I looked at the preview. It all seemed to be there. I clicked next.
The program told me my chapter count is 0, my scene count is 0, and my word count is 0. When I go ahead anyway, and then try to reopen the file, there is in fact nothing there. I have done this three times, same result every time.

How can I actually start a project and import an existing project into it?

William Long

Sep 15, 2022, 12:15:24 AM9/15/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
If it's nota ywriter project you should convert it manually by copy and pasting.

Peter T.

Sep 15, 2022, 4:23:05 AM9/15/22
to yWriter
On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 4:42:09 PM UTC+2 hkhan wrote:
How can I actually start a project and import an existing project into it?

As a LibreOffice user, you could try the yWriter converter extension:

The extension has an Export to yWriter function for which it is enough to format all the chapters with "Heading 2" and separate the scenes with "* * *" (note the blenks between the asterisks).
it is not necessary to convert to rtf format, and you can use the extension to import your novel back to LibreOffice to print it, for example.

Morgan

Apr 14, 2023, 11:05:39 PM4/14/23
to yWriter
I'm having this issue. I used the LibreOffice extension. Exported to .rtf, and everything is 0 count when I import through yWriter. It shows "unsupported" format when trying to import back to yWriter via LibreOffice.

Peter T.

Apr 15, 2023, 9:45:25 AM4/15/23
to yWriter
On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 5:05:39 AM UTC+2 Morgan wrote:
I'm having this issue. I used the LibreOffice extension. Exported to .rtf, and everything is 0 count when I import through yWriter. It shows "unsupported" format when trying to import back to yWriter via LibreOffice.

That's right.  As I told above, do not export to .rtf. The extension works with LibreOffice's native .odt format, but not with .rtf.
You might wish to read the help pages before using the extension.

Morgan

Apr 15, 2023, 10:12:55 AM4/15/23
to yWriter
Thank you Peter. I think I confused myself between using yWriter's direct export and the extension.