Technival Question for the use of external RTF-Editor in non-english Enviroment

trapcode4077

May 4, 2024, 12:18:17 PMMay 4
to yWriter

Hello,

I'm new to this group, and after testing numerous writing apps, I've found yWriter to be my favorite. However, I've encountered a problem. I primarily write in German, and when I collaborate with my co-writer, I use the function to edit my scenes externally in the RTF editor (in my case, it's Word 365). Word is much better for correcting errors in the text. However, the export is in RTF format, and there's a language switch that causes an issue. Every time I switch from yWriter to Word, I have to adjust the language settings in Word from English to German. This results in my entire text being marked with red underlines because Microsoft Word assumes I'm writing in English. It's not a major problem, but I'm wondering if there's a way to change the switch '\lang9' implemented in the RTF file to a different code, such as '\lang1031', so that Word recognizes that my text is written in German and not in English.

Thanks for reading and hope in a possible solution.

Oliver

Message has been deleted

Simon Haynes

May 5, 2024, 3:05:35 AMMay 5
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
One thing I could do is add 'edit scene with external DOCX editor' as well - that may work?

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Simon Haynes

May 5, 2024, 3:36:03 AMMay 5
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
By the way, if you use 'export selected chapters for proofing' you can already choose the docx format.  When you apply those edited chapters back to yWriter, it will read the DOCX in again.

Peter T.

May 5, 2024, 5:29:24 AMMay 5
to yWriter
The point is that every RTF file exported by yWriter has English explicitly set as the document language. This is done via the RTF code “\lang9” somewhere near the beginning of the RTF file. If there is a way to simply omit this code, the problem would be solved for all other languages.

This problem does not occur with DOCX export. LibreOffice assumes the system language for the proofreading document exported by yWriter.

By the way, my post from yesterday on this topic was deleted. Is there a specific reason for this?
Never mind, my proposed solution is no better than the DOCX proofreading export in this case.

Simon Haynes

May 5, 2024, 5:33:38 AMMay 5
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I didn't delete any posts. Was it held up as spam? (I set the group to delete spam with no notifications. All posts from all cleared members go straight through to the list with no interaction from me, it's only posts from new members that are held.)

If the lang9 isn't needed, I can omit it.  I just altered the program so the lang9 portion is now a replaceable variable. I just need to change the UI somewhere so the user can put their own variant in if they want to override it.

Peter T.

May 5, 2024, 5:37:25 AMMay 5
to yWriter
On Sunday, May 5, 2024 at 11:33:38 AM UTC+2 Simon Haynes wrote:
If the lang9 isn't needed, I can omit it.  I just altered the program so the lang9 portion is now a replaceable variable. I just need to change the UI somewhere so the user can put their own variant in if they want to override it.

I have tried it out: It works perfectly for me without the “lang9” setting.

Peter T.

May 5, 2024, 5:42:55 AMMay 5
to yWriter
If the language can be set by the user, this only makes sense if the user writes in a language other than the system language. In this case, however, the document language should be a property of the project, shouldn't it?

This is how I implemented it with my self-written yw7 converters (they read the ODT document's locale):

<PROJECTVAR>
<ID>1</ID>
<Title><![CDATA[Language]]></Title>
<Desc><![CDATA[de]]></Desc>
<Tags><![CDATA[0]]></Tags>
</PROJECTVAR>

<PROJECTVAR>
<ID>2</ID>
<Title><![CDATA[Country]]></Title>
<Desc><![CDATA[DE]]></Desc>
<Tags><![CDATA[0]]></Tags>
</PROJECTVAR>

Simon Haynes

May 5, 2024, 5:43:10 AMMay 5
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that's good to hear. To me, RTF is like a Jenga tower of a standard. Pull one thing out and the whole thing is liable to fall over.

However, back then there was no alternative.  And now, to be honest, I'm leaning more towards docx because it's supported in Libreoffice, and there's a free library to read and write the format too.

Peter T.

May 5, 2024, 6:01:48 AMMay 5
to yWriter
Nice, time to say goodbye to RTF. If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft wants to drop Wordpad anyway.
For me, yWriter's HTML export has always been the better alternative. At least until I had my own ODT converters that take the document language into account.

Simon Haynes

May 5, 2024, 6:59:18 AMMay 5
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Yes, wordpad is schedule for removal from Win 11.  My own yEdit2 does the same kind of thing though.

Slightly more troubling is the fact I use the Rich Text Control in my software.  This is the same text editor control Wordpad is built around, and it wouldn't surprise me if they end up dropping support for it eventually. (They have history with this. The Flexgrid control was ditched between visual basic 6 and vb .net.)

I've been tempted to write my own text editor control, as the RTF one is a real pain. It would make life a lot easier, and I've already written the text display portion for yBook2, years ago.