How to restore sequential scene backups - NANOWRIMO Emergency!

anvil...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2021, 7:32:16 AM11/13/21
to yWriter
Hi group!
My computer had a bit of a crash yesterday, but I managed to restart ywriter and check everything was there -- all seemed fine. I closed it down and went out.
This morning, my ywriter project wouldn't load because a scene rtf (000019) file is missing. I read all the info on restoring a damaged project, but before I went ahead with restoring, I checked over the full autobackup files to check that, not only the missing scene file is in there, but that all the changes I made last night are, too.
They weren't.
A full backup was carried out at 9.30 am, but everything I wrote after that isn't there.
After a LOT of file checking, turns out they are in the sequential file backup. Just as well I didn't do a full restore.
How to I update the project with these sequential files? Do I follow these instructions  from the yWriter website (but to unzip the sequential files only)?

If you DON'T have a full backup, you'll need to do a bit more work: First, unzip the most recent YW5 project file to the restore folder.

Next, copy in all the RTF files belonging to the project, putting them in an RTF folder inside the restore one. (They should be in the format RTF_nnnnn.rtf)
(Isn't the format automatic?)

Double-click the YW5 file in the restore folder to open the repaired project.

Then there's the matter of restoring the 000019 file. I could just create another scene file and copy and paste from backups, but will that work?

I'm also confused as to where, exactly, I should be creating a restore folder. The website says:

Create a new folder 'yw5restore' OUTSIDE the project folder. E.g. C:\YW5Restore

My project (Secret Souls) is kept on a thumb drive, so should I be creating the restore folder on:
F:\SecretSoulsRestore
or
F:\yWriter projects\SecretSoulsRestore

?

I can't load my project until I know how to restore these files and I'm doing Nanowrimo, so kind of a problem not knowing how to proceed. I guess I'll have to write some stuff in word, but without being able to refer to material I've already written, that's going to be a real difficulty.

Please help!

Thank you!

Charlie

P.S - I tried sending an error report from within ywriter6, but that feature doesn't work.

Simon Haynes

Nov 13, 2021, 7:46:00 AM11/13/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
First off, don't use YW5 projects. They're obsolete and the YW7 format is far more robust.

The easiest way to fix this is to open the RTF5 folder, duplicate any one existing RTF file, rename the duplicate to RTF_ 000019.rtf, and then open the project.

You will then need to locate the 000019 file in the scene list, open that scene, and paste in the backed-up content from sequential backups.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Simon Haynes

Nov 13, 2021, 7:47:14 AM11/13/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
But yes, the first thing is not to panic, move anything, overwrite anything or similar. Your data is all there, and can be retrieved as long as you don't tinker with the project files.

anvil...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2021, 8:12:14 AM11/13/21
to yWriter
Hiya,
Thanks for the prompt response!

It's ywriter6.

Can't copy and paste into scene 000019 as that file no longer exists, which means creating a new scene file. Will that mess up the reload, having #19 missing?

Also, what about all the sequential scene backups? Copy and paste all those, too?

Cheers,
Charlie.

Simon Haynes

Nov 13, 2021, 8:27:54 AM11/13/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
You can't open the project while that scene file is missing, so you need to manually create it.

Don't worry about the sequential backups yet. Get the project opening correctly first, and then we can hunt down the 0019 content from the sequential backups from within the program. (tools - backups - view autobackups)