BUG--copy & paste of items between projects

Henry Boleszny

Jan 14, 2021, 7:22:59 PM1/14/21
to Simon

Hi Simon,

Can’t remember if this was raised before, but when I tried to copy items from one project to a new template, it didn’t work.  New scenes were created, but they were all empty.

I shut down the program, then opened it, thinking it was simply a display error.  The scenes remained empty.

Ended up exporting an xml file and doing it the yW5 way.  It works, at least.

Sorry to start the new year this way.  Hope you had a great festive season.

Henry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Peter T.

Jan 15, 2021, 7:47:15 AM1/15/21
to yWriter
I just looked at it with yWriter 7.1.1.9. Copying scenes between projects works for me.
With characters I get the error message "Unable to paste from the clipboard".
For locations and items, a success message appears and an empty object called "N/A" is inserted.

Cheers,
Peter

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 4:59:09 PM7/28/21
to yWriter

I'm just getting to some of the listed yWriter bugs.

" With characters I get the error message "Unable to paste from the clipboard"."

I'm pasting characters now to the lists on the main project screen - in the Characters tab. Also works on the character list view ('View/Edit characters')

Do you remember where you were trying to paste them? Was it in the scene editor? (It works for me there, too)

Items and Locations worked too in the current beta, but the only time I got 'unable to paste from the clipboard' was when I tried to paste an item (for example) into the character list.  It's possible the program was setting the wrong tag on copy in 7.1.1.9 though.

Henry Boleszny

Jul 28, 2021, 8:10:00 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Simon,

I was trying to transfer characters from one project to a new project, Characters tab to Characters tab.  I can’t remember now if it was one item or multiple.

Then I re-read your email and realised I am still using 7.1.1.2, upgraded to 7.1.1.4 and the problem persists.  I looked at the latest Beta (7.1.1.6) but didn’t try it.

Upgraded and re-tested.  The problem persisted.

Also, I can’t copy items from one project to another successfully either.  The pasted records are always “N/A” or “N/A (Copy)”.  The same thing happens with Locations.

I’ve had to work-around either by importing the list from one project to another and deleted what I don’t need, or opening individual records and copying contents one window or cell at a time.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here.

And I can’t find 7.1.1.9, unless this is the Version 8?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 8:56:25 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
The most recent release is 7.1.2.4 at  http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter7_Download.html (is 7.1.1.4 a typo?)

yWriter8 is just a 'technology test' - previously for dotnet 5, and now for dotnet 6.

I've just tried copy/pasting characters between projects in the beta, and that worked.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Henry Boleszny

Jul 28, 2021, 9:01:21 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Simon.

Just downloaded and upgraded to 7.1.1.6 and retested copying characters from one project to another.

Sadly, the problem persists.  Not sure what’s happening on my computer to mess things up, but it must be at my end if you’re able to get it working.

Sigh.

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 9:08:42 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean 7.1.2.6?  (I'm pretty sure you do, but just checking)

N/A means the program can't find the ID/details for that character, as though it wasn't copied properly.

I'm using Beta 7.1.2.6, and here is a copy from one project to another:

image.png

image.png

This is the second project:

image.png

image.png

I did it twice, and so the second one says '(Copy)'

image.png

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 9:09:26 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
If you click Tools - Debug - View Log File and send me that, it will help. If there's anything wierd going on it should be in the log.

Henry Boleszny

Jul 28, 2021, 9:18:59 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Well... I am using 7.1.1.6 (my fat-fingered error there, sorry) and my right-click menu on copying characters isn’t like yours.

I was working from the main window, with no scenes working.  When I saw the difference in your right-click menu, I wondered if working scene to scene was different.  Tested that, but my menus don’t include “Add to all selected scenes” and “Remove from all selected scenes”.

However... working FROM scene in project 1 TO scene in project 2 WILL permit a copy and paste of characters.

Sorry.  Never thought of this test back in January or when I replied initially today.

Repeated copy-paste from main window, no scenes open and ran into the same brick wall.  Ran the Debug  -  View Log as requested.

Sorry to give you a headache which is probably this user being in error.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Do you mean 7.1.2.6?  (I'm pretty sure you do, but just checking)

N/A means the program can't find the ID/details for that character, as though it wasn't copied properly.

I'm using Beta 7.1.2.6, and here is a copy from one project to another:

This is the second project:

I did it twice, and so the second one says '(Copy)'

Log_Henry Boleszny_2021-07-29.txt

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 9:36:38 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Nothing in the file I can see.

I didn't have any scenes open, but I had clicked one and was using the character list below the scene content, not the one on its own tab.

Henry Boleszny

Jul 28, 2021, 9:40:33 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

I have never tried that before...

Saw the same right-click menu as your images... and the copy-past from one project to another worked using what you describe.

So, for some reason, using the Character tab in the main project window (not going from a scene like we just did) seems to be a roadblock?

Curious.

At least I now know what to do in moving a few characters from one version of a story to another...  Thanks for that.

Henry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I didn't have any scenes open, but I had clicked one and was using the character list below the scene content, not the one on its own tab.

Simon Haynes

Jul 28, 2021, 9:42:07 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
It's likely I haven't implemented the copy/paste code for the main tab.  I'll look into that one.

Henry Boleszny

Jul 28, 2021, 9:45:15 PM7/28/21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

I repeated the copy-paste the WRONG WAY again, this time pasting to Notepad.

All that I got was :

<CHARACTERS>

</CHARACTERS>

However, doing it the way you were using and then pasting to Notepad had all the information from the selected characters.

Maybe you’re right about not having implemented it.