type of scene as Action and Reaction.

John Patten

Jun 28, 2022, 10:00:51 PM6/28/22
to yWriter
Hi All,
In the Scene panel, It has type of scene as Action and Reaction.
I read a lot of comic books but I don't think the Scene Actions is a Fight Scene.  Can you point me to a writing guide that explains what a  Action and Reaction scene are?
Given this website
I mush all all my scenes to include both.
Do you all split your scenes into two, Action, then Reaction?

Henry Boleszny

Jun 28, 2022, 10:51:00 PM6/28/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Hi John,

I think of it like this:

            ACTION:                    I heard John’s rumours about my uncle.  I knew they were lies.  I went up and punched him.

            REACTION:               Two days later, I sit drinking bourbon and pain killers, nursing the cast around my broken wrist.  Forget glass jaws.  His was pure granite.

                                                And now I have to reconsider my views about my uncle.  (insert deeply meaningful psychological prose).

Hope this helps.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Peter T.

Jun 29, 2022, 4:59:11 AM6/29/22
to yWriter
On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 4:00:51 AM UTC+2 jasco wrote:
Do you all split your scenes into two, Action, then Reaction?

I don't usually use this scheme from the beginning, but it's helpful in revision when I feel the plot is sagging.

The scheme can certainly be useful in keeping a firm grip on impatient or poorly focused readers, though literature naturally offers a much wider range of creative possibilities.

Incidentally, there is also a microstructure for such scenes in this "framework" theory, which consists of a sequence of feeling, reflex, and rational action.