Help!! Unable to open yWriter 5 file in either yWriter 5 or 7

Lisa S

Feb 10, 2022, 9:09:15 PM2/10/22
to yWriter
Hi Simon and all,

I have an old project in yWriter 5 that wouldn't open in yWriter 7. It opened fine in yWriter 5 and I tried exporting and appending to test projects and nothing worked. Updated yWriter7, no change.

Then I updated yWriter 5, and now it won't open in either version. Here are some excerpts from the log from the initial startup and when I tried to load the project. I *really* don't want to lose this project!!  Thank you for any help.

Lisa,  lstroyan at gmail dot com

18:57:43 Connecting WINDOWS Rtf handler in LibSpacejockWin.clsRTF wrapper. 18:57:43 Could not find file 'C:\Users\Lisa\AppData\Roaming\Spacejock Software\yWriter7\POP3.xml'. in clsFile:ReadUnicodeForced
18:57:43 Could not find file 'C:\Users\Lisa\AppData\Roaming\Spacejock Software\yWriter7\SMTP.xml'. in clsFile:ReadUnicodeForced
18:57:43 Could not find file 'C:\Users\Lisa\AppData\Roaming\Spacejock Software\yWriter7\Accounts.xml'. in clsFile:ReadUnicodeForced
18:58:01 Locked project C:\Users\Lisa\Documents\+ Writing\yWriter Projects\NanoWrimo 2018 Being Home - yWriter\NanoWrimo 2018 Being Home.yw5
18:58:01 Extracting project from xml 18:58:01 Version 5 project
18:58:03 A valid UTF32 value is between 0x000000 and 0x10ffff, inclusive, and should not include surrogate codepoint values (0x00d800 ~ 0x00dfff). Parameter name: utf32 in clsScenes:UpdateFromXML
18:58:03 A valid UTF32 value is between 0x000000 and 0x10ffff, inclusive, and should not include surrogate codepoint values (0x00d800 ~ 0x00dfff). Parameter name: utf32 in clsProject:ExtractEntireProjectFromXML
18:58:03 Project extraction failed

Lisa S

Feb 10, 2022, 9:17:45 PM2/10/22
to yWriter
One more comment: None of my other yWriter 5 projects have any problem in either version.

Lisa

Simon Haynes

Feb 10, 2022, 11:51:38 PM2/10/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Just dealing with the same issue from another user.  As soon as I've resolved it I'll upload a fixed version. (They're hopefully sending their project direct to me)

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Peter T.

Feb 11, 2022, 5:00:07 AM2/11/22
to yWriter
The old yWriter5 version, with which you probably created your project, is still available and runs fine on Windows 10. Until Simon solves the problem, you can install it in parallel with yWriter 7 and open your project with it. In the long run, of course, it is better to use only the yw7 file format.

Lisa S

Feb 11, 2022, 7:20:08 PM2/11/22
to yWriter
Thank you, Peter and Simon!  It's not urgent that I work on that particular project so I don't mind waiting, but I'll install the old v5 if I change my mind. Simon, if you need me to send my project file without the RTF files I'm happy to do so. Or test a new version with my project.

Lisa

Lisa S

Nov 13, 2022, 10:11:59 AM11/13/22
to yWriter
Hi Simon,

I hope things are well for you; I haven't been keeping up with the group posts. I just wanted to update you on this bug. I'm seeing the same issue on Windows 10, on a new laptop with a new copy of yWriter 7 installed.  However, I still had my download of 5.2.1.3 and it works well.

I noticed a preview copy of yWriter 8 on the website - would you like me to try it and see if it opens this project?

Thanks,

Lisa

08:02:04 Loading from commandline: C:\Users\lstro\OneDrive\Documents\2018-2021 Nano - Being Home - yWriter\NanoWrimo 2018 Being Home.yw5 in frmMain:LoadFromCommandline
08:02:04 Locked project C:\Users\lstro\OneDrive\Documents\2018-2021 Nano - Being Home - yWriter\NanoWrimo 2018 Being Home.yw5
08:02:04 Extracting project from xml
08:02:04 Version 5 project
08:02:06 A valid UTF32 value is between 0x000000 and 0x10ffff, inclusive, and should not include surrogate codepoint values (0x00d800 ~ 0x00dfff).

Parameter name: utf32 in clsScenes:UpdateFromXML
08:02:06 A valid UTF32 value is between 0x000000 and 0x10ffff, inclusive, and should not include surrogate codepoint values (0x00d800 ~ 0x00dfff).

Parameter name: utf32 in clsProject:ExtractEntireProjectFromXML
08:02:06 Project extraction failed

Simon Haynes

Nov 16, 2022, 9:39:53 PM11/16/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the scene data is being interpreted as unicode when it isn't. yWriter5 (new) through to 8 all use the same code.

What I need to do is add the scene file to that error message, and then maybe get you to send me the file itself off-list.

Simon Haynes

Nov 16, 2022, 9:43:21 PM11/16/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Actually, it looks like it might be the project file itself. Can you email the YW5 file (not the scenes, etc) to me off-list?

The YW5 file does contain scene descriptions and titles, but none of your writing.

If I can test that file on my PC I can make sure it can be handled properly.