Themes

Loni

Jan 22, 2024, 11:56:36 AMJan 22
to yWriter
Is there a place to download the Dark and Gray themes listed in the theme list? I clicked "Folder" and I notice neither Dark nor Gray are in the folder.

I still can't figure out a way to change the text color for the selected/highlighted chapter or scene, and I have 7.1.4.2. I thought I'd try Gray to see if it's better, but I don't have that theme file. I also went to see if I could download 7.1.3.0 to compare the text color, but it doesn't look like it's available anymore.

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 12:05:37 PMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
The themes should be included in the 'full install' (possibly not the 'update')

I've attached the ones I distribute to this email.  I've also included the one I use, which has a less glaring editor background.

They go into %AppData%\Spacejock Software\yWriter7\Themes

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 at 00:56, Loni <lo...@lonitownsend.com> wrote:
Is there a place to download the Dark and Gray themes listed in the theme list? I clicked "Folder" and I notice neither Dark nor Gray are in the folder.

I still can't figure out a way to change the text color for the selected/highlighted chapter or scene, and I have 7.1.4.2. I thought I'd try Gray to see if it's better, but I don't have that theme file. I also went to see if I could download 7.1.3.0 to compare the text color, but it doesn't look like it's available anymore.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.
Dark.SJTheme
Grey.SJTheme
MineAmber.SJTheme

Loni

Jan 22, 2024, 12:17:09 PMJan 22
to yWriter
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I still can't change that gray text when highlighted, and it looks the same in all the themes, so it's something I will live with for now, as it's more cosmetic than anything.

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 1:05:59 PMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Some of the theme colours involve using a user-defined colour and making it darker or lighter, rather than specifying something for every option.

Loni

Jan 22, 2024, 1:11:56 PMJan 22
to yWriter
Is there a particular setting I can change to make the indicated text darker?

selected-text.png

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 1:31:05 PMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I'm just adding variables for listhighlightBG and listhighlightFG. They'll default to whatever windows uses.

Loni

Jan 22, 2024, 2:08:36 PMJan 22
to yWriter
Just because I'm annoying and for the sake of record keeping, I did find the 7.1.3.0 link in your change log.

Here is what it looked like before the update. I think it probably did default to whatever windows uses.

selected-text-7130.png
selected-text-7130-2.png

Going back to 7.1.4.2 now...

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 2:28:31 PMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Yep, pretty sure mine uses the header colour (which is derived from the list background) for the bar itself, and windows default for the text.  Either that, or it's a 40% lighter version of the bar colour, to ensure they're not the same.

Loni

Jan 23, 2024, 10:25:23 AMJan 23
to yWriter
Thank you for this change. It works beautifully, and I appreciate it.

Simon Haynes

Jan 23, 2024, 10:28:08 AMJan 23
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
That's good to hear. It should have worked like this in the first place, but I never really worried about it.

Linda Murphy

Jun 10, 2024, 2:52:04 AMJun 10
to yWriter
I downloaded and installed 7.1.4.2 a few days ago:
size: 9,652,327  yWriter7Full.exe
SHA256          4AD1CE61BDC0E9BF15845B186FF6ADD109398315891B1B986B5DCE3084CAB558

Only the default theme was in folder C:\Users\linda\AppData\Roaming\Spacejock Software\yWriter7\Themes

I found the Grey and Dark themes in a post in this group, downloaded them, and put them in that folder. I was able to then load and apply the grey and dark themes. The grey them works okay, but I would like to use the dark one. The problem I have with that is that there's no contrast for the names of Chapters or Scenes in their respective lists.

What is the color format scheme for the bg and fg colors? I am familiar with 0xFFFFFF for white and 0x000000 for black, and so forth. The theme files are using something I'm not familiar with. Please point me to a resource which explains these colors and how to manipulate them. Thanks

If I can work it out, I'll share.

Simon Haynes

Jun 10, 2024, 2:54:04 AMJun 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi - every colour can be set through the software, here:

image.png

image.png

Linda Murphy

Jun 10, 2024, 9:15:16 AMJun 10
to yWriter
Thanks! I actually found that after awhile. It works a lot like TextPad's theme editor. For me, it isn't intuitive to find or adjust in Textpad either.

I fiddled around and got something that's closer to what I want, but still has some flaws. I will attach what I have so far, called TEST2, which is a DEEP black background for almost everything.

I'm still working on it. For example the drop-down menus are okay except for the contrast between the highlighted menu item and the rest of the menu items.

At least I figured out how to get the Chapter and Scene list items to have some decent contrast regardless of selection and/or focus.

What's the name of the entity between the boxes? Some sort of separator that foregrounded "Title" "W" "S" "P" "D" "Content" "Description" "Characters" "Locations" and so forth sit on? What's the name of the foreground and background for those?

I'll re-load it here a better name than TEST2 after I make some more changes.

Thanks!
Linda
TEST2.SJTheme

Simon Haynes

Jun 10, 2024, 10:08:37 AMJun 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Some of the colours are automatically created from user-specified ones, by darkening or lightening them (depending if the colour is already dark or light)

It might be that the amount of lightening or darkening needs to be increased to create more contrast.

Simon Haynes

Jun 10, 2024, 10:09:24 AMJun 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean this line here between menu entries?

image.png

Linda Murphy

Jun 10, 2024, 10:25:20 PMJun 10
to yWriter
Hi Simon,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. That's not the line I meant, but it doesn't matter. I decided not to mess with the colors of the menus.

I created a theme which is very dark. I call it BlackCyan because the default bg is black and the default fg is cyan.

It's attached, for anyone who wants to go even darker than the Grey and Dark themes.

-Linda
BlackCyan.SJTheme

Simon Haynes

Jun 15, 2024, 7:55:43 AMJun 15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Scene List - Text is the colour for the scene list
Chapter List - Text is the colour for the entries in the chapter list

image.png

I've been doing a lot of work on themes (mostly for my yPlay2 MP3 player/library) and I've recently added extra categories so you can set the background and foreground for UI buttons.  This means when you first load a theme, the buttons will be default 3d style.

I've also added a context menu so you can left-click a colour element in the theme editor, then right-click and copy the colour to the clipboard. Next, you can left-click any other colour element in the list, right-click and choose paste.  This allows you to easily clone the colour.

I'm also going to add 'copy colour to all foreground elements' and 'copy colour to all background elements'.  I've spent the past few days creating 23 themes in yPlay (which could be transferred to yWriter and then updated with some of the missing fields) hence these shortcuts.