the new release!

Giulia Fancelli Clifford

Feb 14, 2023, 5:14:53 PM2/14/23
to yWriter App Beta
Liz,

first of all wow, well done for publishing a fix so early, it's amazing the work you're doing with this app I'm really grateful for all the updates!

Just a couple of things that happened when I opened the file with the app:
  1. initially, everything seemed to be fine. The italics and centered formatting was kept, no more text in bold than it had been chosen by me, and it looked overall very good. The only problem I had to start with was that the paragraphs weren't spaced, but it wasn't too much of an issue. However, then I scrolled to the end and clicked on the page to start typing.
  2. for some reason, the page reset and went blank. I thought I had deleted my writing by accident, and went to the google docs version of the file to copy the content to paste it, but when I came back to the file on yWriter, the text was back, more spaced between the paragraphs, and again all in bold with no other formatting.
  3. I clicked on the screen to highlight all the text and take the bold off and put the other formatting back on, and the text disappeared again. I closed and reopened it and the text was back, but the paragraphs were even more spaced.
  4. I closed the app and came here to let you know, but now that I'm home I can see that the file on drop box and the file on my computer haven't changed at all, for some reason so I went back to the yWriter app on the android making sure that I had definitely updated the beta release (yes I had), but it's now showing the text in bold with no other formatting again. The spacing problem seems to have resolved, but as soon as I click on the page to start typing, it looks as if the whole text gets highlighted and disappears, but when you scroll up the text is there, but the spacing between paragraphs increases each time you try to do something. Again, all other formatting gets lost. This isn't replicated on the file I open with the computer, by the way, even if the app says that it's saved the file. I had also ended up pasting the writing again from google docs and making some changes, which the app said it had saved but then instead, they're not reproduced on the drop box file my computer opens. No idea why!
I hope this isn't confusing to you; I tried to attach a picture to this message to show you but it wouldn't allow me to. I'm sure you can fix it and wait eagerly for the next update!

Giulia

yWriter App Support

Feb 14, 2023, 5:30:49 PM2/14/23
to yWriter App Beta
Hi Guilia,

Thanks for your feedback. It looks like there's still several issues with the rich text editor. I'll have a look.
Are you using the Samsung default keyboard? Could you check if switching temporarily to GBoard fixes the issue where the page keeps going blank? I thought I'd fixed issues with Samsung Keyboard jumping around the scene without user input but it sounds like that could be what's happening.

Regarding the saving issues -
When the project is open, it will show the file path it is saving to at the top. (Project Title by Author (word count) [Current save file path]) Can you check that this path matches your dropbox file location.
Also, make sure that yWriter on the PC is closed while you are editing on mobile.
Local backups will also be saved on mobile in Local yWriter App Storage/AutoBackups which can be opened from mobile if you lose data.

On mobile, you can check that the Beta version has definitely been updated to the latest version by opening yWriter, clicking the 3 dots in the top right on the main page and selecting 'About/Help' - check that it says 2023.12.4.124 (latest version number) at the bottom. If it hasn't been updated, go to google play and check for app updates (Click profile -> Manage apps and devices -> Manage -> Updates available -> check for yWriter).

Regards,
Liz