The app looks lush, but I have couple of suggestions

Giulia Fancelli Clifford

Feb 2, 2023, 8:54:08 AM2/2/23
to yWriter App Beta
I have just opened the app on both my computer and phone, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed already; I wanted to jot down a couple of ideas:
1. It would be nice to have cloud compatibility for different clouds than drop box. I use normally One Drive and Google drive, I had stopped paying for my dropbox account, but I had to resume my subscription to use this app
2. There needs to be a formatting option in the mobile app. The text only shows as plain text; you cannot centre it or use any bold or italics. To do this, you need to open it on the computer (and the format is *not* kept on the android version, which makes the big block of text very hard to read on a small screen). Also, the spacing of the paragraphs gets lost: I have mine set up as 200 between paragraphs and 1.2 line spacing, book antiqua font, but when I open the android app, all that is lost (this makes the big block of text very hard to read on a small screen).
3. It would be nice to allow a comment feature on both versions so that writers can share the folder with an editor or a beta, and the person can add comments to the work, which the writer can work on. Since you allow cloud sharing, this could be possible if the beta or editor also uses yWriter.

I'll keep exploring the app, but these are my immediate feedback ideas. I hope it's helpful! The app looks good :)

Giulia

yWriter App Support

Feb 2, 2023, 9:20:11 AM2/2/23
to yWriter App Beta
Hi Giulia,

Thanks for your feedback!  It's very helpful - your interest in these features has been noted (I'm making up a list for feature requests to help prioritise them).
More cloud options and rich text editing are definitely in the plan for the near to medium future for this app.
A commenting feature is an interesting idea as that possibility is definitely opened up by the use of cloud storage.
At this stage I'd be cautious having 2 people working on the file at once - if you both worked on the file at the same time it wouldn't handle this nicely. If you both save your separate changes at the same time, one of them would be overridden. Think of it like 2 people saving changes to the same .png image on the cloud - it would override it, rather than merging it. This is a complex problem but something I might look into in the future.

Liz
yWriter App Support

Christian Bieck

Feb 10, 2023, 6:58:56 PM2/10/23
to yWriter App Beta
I second the cloud storage suggestion -- I mainly use Jottacloud. I can access and open the yw7 file from the using the standard Android Files app, however, I don't see how I can save it back to the there.
Cheers
Christian

Giulia Fancelli Clifford

Feb 10, 2023, 10:10:28 PM2/10/23
to yWriter App Beta
Another bit of feedback based on the new update you recently sent: when I saved the file through android on the new beta version, the file ended up all saved in bold formatting, even if the only bold formatting I had personally selected was for the first few lines of it (the title and opening credits). I've no idea why. Everything else seems to be working fine for me.

Giulia

yWriter App Support

Feb 11, 2023, 9:30:29 PM2/11/23
to yWriter App Beta
Hi Giulia,

Thanks for reporting that issue with saving bold formatting. I did some testing and was able to reproduce it.
I'll include a fix in the beta version of the app soon. (Users can opt-in to the beta on the yWriter page in the Play Store app). Once it's been in the beta for a little while, the fix will be available in the main release.

Liz
yWriter App Support

yWriter App Support

Feb 11, 2023, 9:30:33 PM2/11/23
to yWriter App Beta
Hi Christian,

To save the file back to your cloud storage of choice, do the following
- Open the project
- Tap 3 dots in the top right
- Tap 'Share...'
- Select your cloud storage app