Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Aldo Ceccarelli

da leggere,
13 dic 2008, 17:30:4213/12/08
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com, informaticis...@yahoogroups.com
Hello All,
I am a volunteer of ISF an Italian NGO of "computer scientists without frontiers" ( http://informaticisenzafrontiere.org/indexen.php ) from where last month we attempted a direct contact (hereinafter you can read it with some references to our purposes) with Grameen but for the time without any reply and output.

Today we learned of Yunus discussion group from a member and new friend who told me that through here he could establish very good relationships and also some direct contact with Grameen.

Thus we are keen to join the club in order to learn as much as possible and to be able to identify together any possible ISEP related project where our voluteers from Italy could eventually cooperate and help with proposals and actions wherever possible.

Thanking you all in advance for all suggestions and next road together
a big ciao from Italy!

Aldo (Informatici senza Frontiere, Italy)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Informatici Senza Frontiere, ISF (Italy) <intern...@informaticisenzafrontiere.org>
Date: 2008/11/25
Subject: ISF Italy calls Muhammad Yunus - Grameen for synergy to ISEP mutual cooperation

"The international community should take the necessary steps to ensure that the poorest countries of the world have full access to ICTs. Our objective is to connect all villages of the world to the Internet. Only this way we will have a digital democracy." - Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General, at the World Summit on the Information Society (Tunis, November 16, 2005)

Dear Prof. Muhammad Yunus and Grameen Team All,

at the end of 2005 a group of Italian managers working in the information technology sector decided to answer this important message. They founded "Informatici senza Frontiere"(ISF, in English could sound as "Computer Scientists without Frontiers"), a non-profit association aiming at sharing the knowledge and know-how of its members with the poorest populations and the weakest subjects of the world.

For founders and volunteers of "Informatici senza Frontiere", the access to information and communication technologies represents an essential prerequisite for the social and economic development. Information technology should be considered as a vital resource, and developed countries often waste their technology - they not only throw away what they consider as obsolete hardware but they also waste unused know-how.

Through "Informatici Senza Frontiere"we hope to be able to contribute to filling the gap of the digital divide: For a better world.

You can have a more in-depth idea of our work by visiting ISF website http://informaticisenzafrontiere.org/indexen.php

Today as ISF "foreign office" volunteer acting on direct behalf of ISF President (Mr Girolamo Botter herewith in CC) I am contacting  you in order to put ourselves at your disposal in order to ask you if you see any space for a mutual cooperation aiming to enhance ISEP as "dreamt" of by Mr. Muhammad Yunus for "a world in which technology is harnessed to create a better life for everyone, not just the wealthy few".

From his words we found that probably a first, practical possible start could arise from your analysis of our free open source software project OPEN HOSPITAL(http://sourceforge.net/projects/angal/) a complete hospital information system originally developed by Informatici Senza Frontiere for Angal – Uganda including modules for managing:

  • patient master data
  • pharmacy
  • laboratory
  • pregnancy
  • malnutrition control.

As you can see at ISF url for projects http://informaticisenzafrontiere.org/progen.php  we are already active in several African hospitals where Open Hospital is used and spread in users' native language and executable even from USB key where only very resource limited and old computers are available. In addition we have since a few weeks a new team devoted to study open source microfinance applications in order to tailor and deliver them to volunteers in a Madagascar mission project.

Our organization is growing year after year in Italy and always new ICT managers with long experience from main National companies as well as young and valuable technicians from universities are joining our projects and help us in realizing "social business" tasks.

We would really appreciate if you could let Mr. Muhammad Yunus know about ISF and allow your organization to evaluate any possibility to establish a suitable contact to know each other and talk about any joint ISEP effort that you should hold as priority.

We thank you very much in advance for your kind attention and feedback and we remain at full disposal.

Best regards,

Aldo Ceccarelli
Volunteer of Informatici Senza Frontiere, Italy

ISF "foreign office" for international contacts - fax +39-0175-653.111 - mailto:intern...@informaticisenzafrontiere.org

isf_en.jpg

Brad Meyer

da leggere,
13 dic 2008, 17:38:4413/12/08
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com

Welcome, Aldo

The following link may be of interest to you, as it contains a speech Muhammad Yunus gave at London School of Economics earlier this year.

 www.i-t-l.com/yunus

All the Best,

Brad Meyer

Dr Lilly Evans

da leggere,
16 dic 2008, 07:25:2216/12/08
a yunus_discussion
Hello Aldo,

In addition to the lecture which Brad mentions above, you may wish to
look at
http://yunusphere.net/
the blog where Sabine McNeil and I track various developments that may
be of interest to you and your colleagues at ISF. I speak as a
computer scientist who has expanded horizons with years of experience.

All the very best

Lilly Evans

On Dec 13, 10:38 pm, "Brad Meyer" <bradme...@collaboration.co.uk>
wrote:
> Welcome, Aldo
>
> The following link may be of interest to you, as it contains a speech
> Muhammad Yunus gave at London School of Economics earlier this year.
>
>  www.i-t-l.com/yunus
>
> All the Best,
>
> Brad Meyer

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
16 dic 2008, 09:33:3116/12/08
a yunus_discussion
Hi Lilly
many thanks for your kind indication that I appreciate very much:
today we have started a study on what a "telecentre" is in order to
see if we can organize for adopting it as a module to be thinked of
for a possible startup in places where ISF already operates.

I will be keen to share your website within our members in order to
study asap.

WKR
Aldo

On 16 Dic, 13:25, Dr Lilly Evans <lilly.ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Aldo,
>
> In addition to the lecture which Brad mentions above, you may wish to
> look athttp://yunusphere.net/
> > 135KViewDownload- Nascondi testo citato
>
> - Mostra testo citato -

Sabine McNeill

da leggere,
16 dic 2008, 11:21:4116/12/08
a yunus_discussion
EXCELLENT, Aldo! Welcome!!!

Reading “Creating a World without Poverty” energised me (I studied
maths and computing and started as a system analyst at CERN in Geneva)
such that I stuck my neck out and made an event happen for Prof.
Yunus. At barely 3 weeks notice I got 700 people together – but ONLY
thanks to net and web!!! See http://yunusphere.net/events/london-events/
Brad Meyer who set up the yunus discussion group, helped most
generously, as well as Lilly.

I was also enchanted by the notion of ISEP, started IT4Hope on
http://it4hope.wordpress.com/ and attended the workshop on Digital
Money in San Diego, where the collaboration between Intel and Grameen
was presented: http://3dmetrics.me.uk/2008/09/28/visiting-calit2-at-uc-san-diego/

Despite the net, our geographical context defines our activities
though. E.g. Prof. Yunus declared Berlin to be the world centre for
Social Business, whereas here in London, the language has been
hijacked by Social Enterprise, and funding my software innovations
continues to be a nightmare.

In the countryside near Berlin (former DDR) I've been trying to keep
the 'telecentre' alive and on my German blog you'll see a short video
in English to participate in the competition Digital Media and
Participatory Learning: http://buschow.wordpress.com/

In the spirit of ‘pro peace’ rather than ‘anti war’ and ISEP, my
current analysis focuses on making Complementary Currencies workable.
They are techno-pieces that need to be put together, for the
‘technology’ of creating currencies is as damaging as controlling the
technology of the 'means of payment' (Google checkout and Paypal).

‘Charitable Americans’ focus on transferring conventional money via
mobile phones in the developing world, and I have been told by the
director of Grameen Solutions which system they are using in
Bangladesh. But as partners they are looking for people who put money
down like Danone, Intel or website clients in the UK.

However, with ISF you can do a lot more. Count me in, even though I
learned Latin rather than Italian in Germany!

Yours most connectedly,

A typically grey Ciao from London!

Sabine

http://yunusphere.net/: YuNuSphere, Expanding Dr. Yunus’ Sphere of
Influence, with > 11,520 hits

http://forumnews.wordpress.com/: In the Spirit of the Forum for Stable
Currencies, blog, with > 5,300 hits

http://greencredit.org.uk/: Green Credit for Green Growth, Lobbying
the Treasury Select Committee, with > 3,540 hits

http://tinyurl.com/666rwd: Money Supply or Public Credit Petition,
Targeted at the Treasury Select Committee [146 signatures and > 3,610
page views]

http://3dmetrics.co.uk: 3D Metrics, Director, with > 46,210 hits

21a Goldhurst Terrace
London NW6 3HB

T: 020 7328 3701
M: 07968 039 141

On 16 Dec, 14:33, "ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)"

Aldo Ceccarelli

da leggere,
16 dic 2008, 11:32:2916/12/08
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Sabine and congratulations for yunusphere.
I am only a newbie but passionate and I will try to study to become a future reference within ISF in order to see whether we can do something.

Time is tight but even with slow but continous progress we will probably achieve something thanks to your expert advice and know-how on the subject.

For the time being I could read The Herald article that you linked from Glasgow and I mark this:

The effect Yunus had on Glasgow this week was electric. Thanking him for his Magnusson lecture, Scotland's leading philanthropist, Sir Tom Hunter, himself a member of the Magnusson Fellowship, said Yunus had already shown how, with deep humility, you can change the world. "The greatest thanks we can give you," he said, "is to commit to action."

Today we start and cannot assure anything but learning your lessons is already a very good beginning Again thanks!  Aldo

2008/12/16 Sabine McNeill <sabi...@gmail.com>

Jeff Mowatt

da leggere,
16 dic 2008, 12:34:2216/12/08
a yunus_discussion
Hi Aldo & Sabine,

I was interested in that video of the rural telecentre since we are
aware of similar problems in Eastern Europe. What we have there is
perhaps more fundamental, it its problerms because one of the major
factors is infrastructure. Bandwidth is limited and expensive. If I
were to enter an internet cafe, I'd have to switch off graphics on my
Yahoo web mail client and Google would simply time.out.

Bandwidth is two tiered in its charging, with international traffic
markedly more costly. In rural areas there are no telecentres as such,
in fact many still go without a single telephone line. I did a
projection of ASDL roll out to reach UK broadband levels and
calculated 400 years.

Clearly there's an opportunity, indeed a need to leapfrog telephone
exchange based delivery, to have any hope of making progress.

In the rural setting there are typically several clearly defined
needs, the sales accounting for the local petrol station, access to
information related to farming, the educational needs of the local
school and private and social usage. We believe that there's a case to
be made for combining all these to share the investment between public
and private stakeholders.

Broadband infrastructure is one of several components in the strategy
paper we delivered two years ago. Rather than looking at it in the
context of bridging the digital divide only, it was proposed with a
model which would combine the returns of a 'more than full cost
recovery" component in the village telecenters with the "full cost
recovery" component of national scale microfinance availability to
catalyse the creation of new employment.

The primary social target is childcare reform, to get 100% of
institutionalised "orphans" and street children into at the least
family type group care homes. This would be a more cost effective but
still "less than full cost recovery" component. When combined with the
other two components however, it made possible the proposal of a plan
to deliver development initiatives at nill overall cost. The funding
available from the US MCA for transitional democracy was suggested as
part contribution in conjunction with part of the state "windfall"
acquired from sale of steel works to Mittal in recent times.

Jeff

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
17 dic 2008, 01:18:1417/12/08
a yunus_discussion
Hello Jeff and Friends:
about Jeff report about ICT for development needs and technologies for
rural digital divide I can route to a special issue of IEEE Computer,
June 2008 where you can find cutting edge research and - what's more -
direct contacts to universities and experts with projects and teams at
work:

ICT4D 2.0: The Next Phase of Applying ICT for International
Development
Richard Heeks, University of Manchester
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/html/mags/co/2008/06/mco2008060026.htm

Stages of Design in Technology for Global Development
Jonathan Donner, Microsoft Research India
Rikin Gandhi, Microsoft Research India
Paul Javid, Microsoft Research India
Indrani Medhi, Microsoft Research India
Aishwarya Ratan, Microsoft Research India
Kentaro Toyama, Microsoft Research India
Rajesh Veeraraghavan, University of California, Berkeley
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/html/mags/co/2008/06/mco2008060034.htm

and of July 2006
Early-stage practicalities of implementing computer aided education:
Experience from India
Found in: Fourth IEEE International Workshop on Technology for
Education in Developing Countries (TEDC'06)
By Joyojeet Pal
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/proceedings/tedc/2006/2633/00/2633toc.htm

Information and Communication Technologies for Development
Kentaro Toyama, Microsoft Research India
M. Bernardine Dias, Carnegie Mellon University
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/html/mags/co/2008/06/mco2008060022.htm

have a nice day
Aldo

Jeff Mowatt

da leggere,
17 dic 2008, 03:34:5717/12/08
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Aldo,

That's a very interesting resource. I/we must make contact with Richard Heeks if nothing else.

It's interesting that what we now read from Microsoft, combining ICT4D, enterprise building and  microfinance is the same strategy advocated in my colleague's paper to the Clinton administration and the same as the paper delivered to the US Senate 2 years ago. This is perhaps the problem of breaking into to mindset which has also been a struggle for Yunus.

http://www.p-ced.com/about/history/

Unfortunately it's not technical ideas that we lack, but political will. Our efforts therefore have focused on the case for doing it and doing it "wholesale". We seem to be bogged down in endless development competitions, drip fed by foundations to come up with widgets to promote nonprofit fundraising. I have for example put these ideas to the Netsquared, who want to remix the web for social change and more than once got a "What does this have to do with what we're discussing" response.

I was curious to hear twice, reference to social business being hijacked by social enterprise. Few seem to agree even what social enterprise is. The UK government for instance creating a loose branding for voluntary, non profit and profit for social purpose and calling it the Third Sector.

In a discussion recently on Skoll Social Edge about these descriptions, Social Business and Social Enterprise  It came to the conclusion that to a greater or lesser extent all business has a social dimension.

http://www.socialedge.org/discussions/responsibility/social-capital-social-business

Bill Gates for example is now coming alongside with Creative Capitalism, but even before this a social dimension could be illustrated.

http://www.p-ced.com/info/se/

Jeff

--- On Wed, 17/12/08, ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy) <ceccare...@gmail.com> wrote:

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
29 dic 2008, 07:34:2329/12/08
a yunus_discussion
Just to thank you All and once again: after your kind indications now
ISF coul open contacts on-going with both Samwel Kongere and Mrs
Munro's Jamii Bora.
We will see next whether as we hope some joined project task will
develope. I will keep you posted at any progress of course.

May peace, love and prosperity follow You and Your Beloved Ones always
and forever starting soon with New Year:-)
Aldo

On 17 Dic, 09:34, Jeff Mowatt <jeff.mow...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aldo,
>
> That's a very interesting resource. I/we must make contact with Richard Heeks if nothing else.
>
> It's interesting that what we now read from Microsoft, combining ICT4D, enterprise building and  microfinance is the same strategy advocated in my colleague's paper to the Clinton administration and the same as the paper delivered to the US Senate 2 years ago. This is perhaps the problem of breaking into to mindset which has also been a struggle for Yunus.
>
> http://www.p-ced.com/about/history/
>
> Unfortunately it's not technical ideas that we lack, but political will. Our efforts therefore have focused on the case for doing it and doing it "wholesale". We seem to be bogged down in endless development competitions, drip fed by foundations to come up with widgets to promote nonprofit fundraising. I have for example put these ideas to the Netsquared, who want to remix the web for social change and more than once got a "What does this have to do with what we're discussing" response.
>
> I was curious to hear twice, reference to social business being hijacked by social enterprise. Few seem to agree even what social enterprise is. The UK government for instance creating a loose branding for voluntary, non profit and profit for social purpose and calling it the Third Sector.
>
> In a discussion recently on Skoll Social Edge about these descriptions, Social Business and Social Enterprise  It came to the conclusion that to a greater or lesser extent all business has a social dimension.
>
> http://www.socialedge.org/discussions/responsibility/social-capital-s...
>
> Bill Gates for example is now coming alongside with Creative Capitalism, but even before this a social dimension could be illustrated.
>
> http://www.p-ced.com/info/se/
>
> Jeff

christopher macrae

da leggere,
29 dic 2008, 07:57:3029/12/08
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com
Great I hear that 100 people from us congress are asking the world bank to find funds to recognise 10 world inspiration centres of microcredit which want to share what they have learnt with any community that could learn from replication

kenya's jamii bori is among the top 3 noted so it would be useful if we can earn  a connection with them

chris

--- On Mon, 29/12/08, ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy) <ceccare...@gmail.com> wrote:

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
1 gen 2009, 04:28:4601/01/09
a yunus_discussion
<CNN Espanol, today 9:00am eastern>

News Alert
LISTA President & CEO Jose Marquez on CNN Español New Year's Day
Program your televisions and alarm clocks! On January 1st at 9am
Eastern, CNN Español will be televising a program discussing the
Hispanic agenda in the new Obama Administration. This program includes
a panel of distinguished Latino leaders including LISTAs very own CEO
and President Jose Marquez.

Station: CNN Español

Program: Hispanic Agenda in the Obama Administration

Time: 9:00 Eastern Time

***

I cannot see it live from here but share this with you and will try to
find videos becaause LISTA is going to debate about digital-divide too
and I found
a perfect match with Dr Yunus's and Grameen vision as already started
past years, f.i.:
http://www.hispanicprwire.com/news.php?l=es&id=11324&cha=14

If you will have the occasion to follow the show I will be interested
to know your opinions on any output.

Happy 2009!
Aldo

***

On 29 Dic 2008, 13:57, christopher macrae <chris.mac...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> Great I hear that 100 people from us congress are asking the world bank to find funds to recognise 10 world inspiration centres of microcredit which want to share what they have learnt with any community that could learn from replication
>
> kenya's jamii bori is among the top 3 noted so it would be useful if we can earn  a connection with them
>
> chris
>
> > - Mostra testo citato -- Nascondi testo citato

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
5 gen 2009, 04:45:2805/01/09
a yunus_discussion
About Jamii Bora I could receive following advices from Microfinance
Insights and today I tried a contact to both Craft Silicon and Unitus
in order to explore if ISF will be able to add its support.
I will keep up-to-date about. WKR, Aldo

===

Dear Aldo,
Thanks for being in touch. It sounds like you're doing good work. I
know that Jamii Bora is currently receiving pro-bono tech support from
Craft Silicon which is base in Kenya. You may want to ask them about
their additional needs, as I know that they are looking to greatly
expand in the year to come. Jamii Bora is supported by Unitus, so you
may also want to talk to them.

Generally, I would advise talking to MFIs of various sizes to learn
more about their needs. The biggest problem I've heard when it comes
to technology providers for microfinance is that they don't truly
understand what MFIs need. By talking to MFIs, you can get a better
handle on what kind of customizable systems to create.

===

On 1 Gen, 10:28, "ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)"

christopher macrae

da leggere,
5 gen 2009, 10:41:0805/01/09
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com
There is a problem with part of this advice namely there are only about 10 big MFIs doing end poverty

- as a mathematician I can audit how there are about a 100 doing nothing with sustainable social consequenecs or worse yet being groomed by wall street to compound poverty - if you are able to do any work for jamii bora I am confident that will be near the centre of gravity of the best that microcredit can compound for Africa http://microcredit.tv http://futurecapitalism.ning.com/forum/topics/searching-for-congressmen-who ; if you cant get to JB I can make 2 other secondary selections with confidence

of course there are thousands of very small mfis doing worthy stuff but right now - kenya-us end poverty relationships determine all other possibilities given our new start in the white house and the yes we can momentum across youth usa the like of which hasnt been energised since the days of end apartheid

keep on focusing on jamii bora and unitus if it is yunus networks you want to help
chris
http://worldeconomist.net  washington dc bureau 301 881 1655

--- On Mon, 5/1/09, ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy) <ceccare...@gmail.com> wrote:

ISF (Computer Scientists without Frontiers, Italy)

da leggere,
5 gen 2009, 10:52:3405/01/09
a yunus_discussion
Again thanks, Chris: I will keep your consideration into highest
account as we are new of this field.
We have not got any practical feedback yet from undertaken contacts
but focus that you recall is crucial.

WKR,
Aldo

On 5 Gen, 16:41, christopher macrae <chris.mac...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> There is a problem with part of this advice namely there are only about 10 big MFIs doing end poverty
>
> - as a mathematician I can audit how there are about a 100 doing nothing with sustainable social consequenecs or worse yet being groomed by wall street to compound poverty - if you are able to do any work for jamii bora I am confident that will be near the centre of gravity of the best that microcredit can compound for Africahttp://microcredit.tvhttp://futurecapitalism.ning.com/forum/topics/searching-for-congressm...; if you cant get to JB I can make 2 other secondary selections with confidence
>
> of course there are thousands of very small mfis doing worthy stuff but right now - kenya-us end poverty relationships determine all other possibilities given our new start in the white house and the yes we can momentum across youth usa the like of which hasnt been energised since the days of end apartheid
>
> keep on focusing on jamii bora and unitus if it is yunus networks you want to help
> chrishttp://worldeconomist.net washington dc bureau 301 881 1655
>
> leggi tutto

christopher macrae

da leggere,
5 gen 2009, 11:11:5805/01/09
a yunus_di...@googlegroups.com
country of publication Bangladesh
Language English
Likely publication date USA Inauguration Day
print run 2000 ; pdf open source run unlimited
=====================================

INNOVATING COLLABORATION

a Fieldbook Presented to the Yes We Can Generation

By the social entrepreneur business schools of Bangladesh and the microcredit,
millennium goals, solar energy, microeconomics and end poverty worldwide networkers
who celebrate the open source advice with Nobel Prize winner
Muhammad Yunus - world's number 1 sustainability banker

Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra
0 nuovi messaggi