Yuml Standard

lucas_...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2020, 12:37:38 PM10/9/20
to yuml
Hello, I made my tesis diagrams with Yuml, but the teacher is asking me for any standards validating this program, is there any standard or certification for it?
thank you guys

Tobin Harris

Oct 10, 2020, 8:28:18 AM10/10/20
to yu...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks for the message and for using yUML. Interesting one!

I’m not even sure how we’d have it certified.

It has been used in a number of published books though, and teams at Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, eBay and Bose Labs use it.

Tobin

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 17:37, lucas_...@hotmail.com <lucas_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I made my tesis diagrams with Yuml, but the teacher is asking me for any standards validating this program, is there any standard or certification for it?
thank you guys

lucas_...@hotmail.com

Oct 10, 2020, 12:46:41 PM10/10/20
to yuml
Thank you for answering!

I said the same thing to my teacher, but he is still asking me for standards that Yuml should follow (for example the standard UML 2.0 from OMG), I really don't know what I can answer to him, and that means doing like +200 diagrams again.
If someone can help me with an answer it would be my hero,
Thank you for your time Tobin.

Tobin Harris

Oct 10, 2020, 12:56:50 PM10/10/20
to yu...@googlegroups.com
Oh no!

To my knowledge, all elements in yUML are part of the OMG specification.

It’s possible to create non-standards compliant UML with many modelling tools, yUML included. It doesn’t enforce strict standards. For example, you could put inheritance at both ends of an association! So it’s up to you the author to be as strict or relaxed as you like.

In the industry many teams use UML to share ideas in a throwaway fashion, or for illustration. It’s not always about perfection, but instead communication.

Do you think he’s spotted some diagrams that break the standard? If you want me to scan your thesis in confidence I can see if I can spot any errors. Or even better would be great if he can point out which diagrams he feel break the standard and either you can fix it or I can fix yUML.

Hope this helps.

Tobin