broken and useless commands

topham hatt

Jan 10, 2020, 2:54:22 PM1/10/20
to YubNub
I'm new here and just trying to understand how the command set is being maintained. None of the commands for Cambridge Dictionary work, for example. Also, lots of times if I type something thinking it will fall back to searching the phrase, I find the first word of my phrase is actually a command forwarding to some obscure or personal site. I don't think it serves the community to have all these "vanity" commands.

Jonathan Aquino

Jan 10, 2020, 7:30:01 PM1/10/20
to yub...@googlegroups.com
Maintaining the command set is pretty bare bones - basically if there is a command you think should be changed, then email me or email the group and I’ll look into changing it.

Jan 10, 2020, 9:31:35 PM1/10/20
to YubNub
Jon has always depended on the community to report faulty commands and been very supportive in fixing them. As far as I know, there's no organisation behind yubnub, so we have to be vigilant - but also mindful that he's not getting paid for this.

Aaron Simpson

Jan 11, 2020, 11:25:00 PM1/11/20
to YubNub
Just wondering if commands could expire if they haven't been used in a really long time (2 years?) An expired command would still work, but if someone else wanted to claim the command for themselves, they could.

Another feature to ease the maintenance burden would be to capture the creators email address. If someone reports a command is not working (and this is verified somehow), then the creator is emailed to correct the command. If they fail to correct the command within a week, then the command expires and becomes available for redefinition.

On Saturday, 11 January 2020 13:30:01 UTC+13, Jonathan Aquino wrote:
Maintaining the command set is pretty bare bones - basically if there is a command you think should be changed, then email me or email the group and I’ll look into changing it.

I'm new here and just trying to understand how the command set is being maintained. None of the commands for Cambridge Dictionary work, for example. Also, lots of times if I type something thinking it will fall back to searching the phrase, I find the first word of my phrase is actually a command forwarding to some obscure or personal site. I don't think it serves the community to have all these "vanity" commands.

Jonathan Aquino

Jan 12, 2020, 12:19:18 AM1/12/20
to yub...@googlegroups.com
The expiring commands idea is interesting..