#228 Dragaera - Steven Brust, Queen's Thief - Megan Whalen Turner, Kate Daniels - Ilona Andrews

Yuletide Admin

Dec 21, 2021, 3:44:23 PM12/21/21
to yt...@googlegroups.com
Request 1 by Nightalp
Dragaera - Steven Brust
Vlad Taltos, Kragar (Dragaera), Cawti (Dragaera)

Dear Yuletide Author
I'll be frank with you - I've only read the first couple of books in this series and that has been some years ago, mainly because I read (and fell in love with) Jhereg first. So if you feel like writing case-fic you'd make me the happiest recipient this Yuletide. I'd probably want to jump straight through the pc just to hug you ;)
If casefic isn't your cup of tea (or you're afraid of me jumping out of your pc) you'll also make me very happy with some "mantime" featuring Vlad and Kragar (and possibly Loiosh ...) or a nice evening (with assassination? receiving or doing?) with Vlad and Cawti (and Loiosh of course ;) ). I'm not too picky about how many/which charas you include though I would like to read at least about Vlad, so if you want to do Vlad receiving thiefing lessons from Kiera or Vlad as Morrolan's security chief I'm also going to love it.
Other things I very much enjoy about this series: Loiosh being sarcastic. Vlad's relationships with the people in his life. More Loiosh ;). Kragar being reliant and loyal. Vlad knowing that his wife is the better assassin and still loving her.
Things I don't want: PWP, MAJOR chara death (kill off as many hits as you want ^^) and Cawti and Vlad ACTUALLY trying to kill each other (I know that they met with Cawti trying to kill him and I don't mind if they are pretending for whatever reason, but I seem to remember that they had a falling out later in the series and I didn't like that at all. Let me have them being all in love and stabby together).
Thank you very much, and I'm looking forward to your story!

Request 2 by Nightalp
The Queen's Thief - Megan Whalen Turner
Eugenides (Queen's Thief), Attolia | Irene, Costis Ormentiedes

Dear Yuletide Author
I love Gen. I love him being brilliant - quietly or not so -, I love him being stubborn, I love him taking so much care with his interactions with the people he loves - announcing his presence to Attolia by scratching the ink well over the desk, allowing Kamet to come closer than is allowed because he can't see well. I love him being outraged about the most absurd things ("to me the gods only say go to bed!"). I loved that scene in the end of King of Attolia when he showed his brilliance with sword fighting, and again in Conspiracy of Kings when he pretended again and his soldiers watched, knowing that he was tricking the ambassador of the Medes. And when he went out with Sophos in CoK, sneaking through his palace, paying his way out and then walking through his city like he wasn't owning it.
What would I love to read? Gen interacting with Irene, maybe her partaking in or observing some trick of his, from either her or Gen's POV. Gen interacting with Costis, maybe letting him in on his plan for once and Costis don't trusting that the whole time. Also, if you like Gen's chamberlains more than Costis, I would also delight in reading about Ion or Philologes or any of them proving themselves to Gen (maybe stumbling in on a plan and, instead of blowing his cover, playing along?).
I'm not picky about whether Irene or Costis make an appearance (or if you replace them by the chamberlains) as long as Gen's in it.
Or - happy family time with Gen and maybe his kids and Irene? Yessss XD
Otherwise my don't wants are PWP and MajorCharaDeath.
Thank you very much, and I'm looking forward to your story!

Request 3 by Nightalp
Kate Daniels - Ilona Andrews
Kate Daniels, Curran Lennart, Julie Olsen, Derek Gaunt

I love Kate. I love how she starts out a "Cool, Smart, Independent Loner(tm)" and changes into someone who is still strong and smart, but now has someone to look out for and care for and uses her skills to protect them and in this her own happiness.
So really, I'll like everything that shows this about her.
Kate and Curran hunting someone down (or something, them being detectives now)? Kate and Jim on some assignment? Kate observing/guiding Julie to take down a bully at school? Kate and Curran and Derek (and probably Ascanio) turning up at a school play, ending up scaring half the class and making the other half swoon.
Could also be Kate and her neighbor (the one that's not getting scared away from her house of more decades than you've been alive by a little cat, even if that cat happens to be a lion-shapeshifter?) making cookies? Could be Kate making cookies with this oh-so-dangerous creature that no-one else would go even near to while Curran/Jim look on?
An AU where Roland's a tiny bit less drastic and they do some father-daughter thing (shopping?)? Erra and Kate going shopping (and probably killing something while there)? Kate on an outing with her son and his friends and kicking something in the ass while the kids cheer her on?
I don't necessarily need all the charas in the story, so if you want to write Kate with just one or two of them that's okay, too.
Just please no major chara death, and no porn.
Thank you very much, and I'm looking forward to your story!

Due date
This pinch hit is due at: 9pm UTC on 23 December 2021.

Check the links below to see when it is for you:
To claim this pinch hit
If you are getting pinch hits by email, reply to the email that has the pinch hit you want in it, and include your ao3 name.

If you're viewing the google group forum on a mobile device, you can claim a pinch hit by emailing yuleti...@gmail.com with your AO3 name and the number of the pinch hit you want to claim.

If you're viewing the google group forum through the desktop version, you can use the same method as mobile, or scroll the welcome post above the topics to see further options.

If you successfully claim the pinch hit, we will reply and confirm that it's yours, and assign the recipient to you on AO3. If you don't hear from us, it went to someone else.

What does it mean to pinch hit? Are there penalties? Are there perks?
For more info, please see the Yuletide FAQ, and specifically:

You can send other questions to yuleti...@gmail.com.

Thank you and good luck!

-Yuletide mods