#238 GirlsI'veBeen, LockedTomb, Wayfarers, WitchFamily, Unwell: MidwestGothic(Podcast),SexEducation

Yuletide Admin

Dec 22, 2021, 4:37:37 PM12/22/21
to yt...@googlegroups.com
Request 1 by Lilith
The Girls I've Been - Tess Sharpe
Lee Ann O'Malley, Marjorie North, Nora O'Malley

The thing that grabbed me hardest about this book was the sisterly relationship, and the complicated, painful history that Lee Ann had with the FBI agent she ruthlessly used to help free and protect her sister (in spite of falling in love with her). There was clearly so much complexity between “Amy” and Marjorie, unresolved feelings, history, betrayal … the book barely scratched the surface of them. And while Lee and Nora’s bond was a (favorite) feature, I think there’s plenty to explore in the difficult, devoted relationship between sisters who barely knew each other for years, whose lives were based very deliberately around lies, and who managed to build something real together in spite of it all.

Prompts & additional info in my letter. :)

General Likes:
close tone/style matches to canon, humor, non-traditional languages/demonstrations of love/friendship, close/complex sibling relationships and dynamics, focus on female characters and their relationships with each other, focus on canonically gender non-conforming characters, expanded worldbuilding, canon divergence AUs, caper fic, pastiche and playing with genre conventions, deliberate trope subversions, role reversals, playing with expectations, metafiction, parallel narratives, consequences, negotiation, communication, actual relationship work, happy/hopeful endings of some flavor

DNW:
AUs (except for canon divergence AUs), crossovers, story focus on unrequested pairings, non-consensual sex, explicit sex, incest, child/adult romantic or sexual relationships, infidelity (ethical non-monogamy is welcome), character-bashing, non-canon character death, excessive (i.e. non-canon-typical) violence, child or animal harm, grim or excessively dark overall tone/endings, Omegaverse, soulmarks/mates, etc, infantilization, toilet humor

Letter: http://reflectedeve.dreamwidth.org/157976.html

Request 2 by Lilith
The Locked Tomb Series | Gideon the Ninth Series - Tamsyn Muir
Abigail Pent, Isaac Tettares, Jeannemary Chatur, Magnus Quinn

The pseudo-parental relationship Abigail & Magnus had with the 4th teens in GtN was an endless source of delight to me (especially each and every time Magnus embarrassed Jeannemary), and I just shamelessly want MORE of that. I’m mostly imagining pre-canon stories, here, though you could find a way to work in something at Canaan House or in the River, perhaps.

[...]

Request 3 by Lilith
Wayfarers Series - Becky Chambers
Sidra (Wayfarers Series), Tak (Wayfarers Series), Pepper (Wayfarers Series), Owl (Wayfarers Series)

I have plenty of ideas, but more than anything, what I want from this fandom is a story about Sidra continuing to grow and develop as a person, build a life that works for her, and connect with the sentient beings she loves best. You do not need to include all four requested characters, although I would be delighted if you did.

Prompts & additional info in my letter. :)

General Likes:
close tone/style matches to canon, humor, non-traditional languages/demonstrations of love/friendship, close/complex sibling relationships and dynamics, focus on female characters and their relationships with each other, focus on canonically gender non-conforming characters, expanded worldbuilding, canon divergence AUs, caper fic, pastiche and playing with genre conventions, deliberate trope subversions, role reversals, playing with expectations, metafiction, parallel narratives, consequences, negotiation, communication, actual relationship work, happy/hopeful endings of some flavor

DNW:
AUs (except for canon divergence AUs), crossovers, story focus on unrequested pairings, non-consensual sex, incest, child/adult romantic or sexual relationships, infidelity (ethical non-monogamy is welcome), character-bashing, non-canon character death, excessive (i.e. non-canon-typical) violence, child or animal harm, grim or excessively dark overall tone/endings, Omegaverse, soulmarks/mates, etc, infantilization, toilet humor

Letter: http://reflectedeve.dreamwidth.org/157976.html

Request 4 by Lilith
The Witch Family - Eleanor Estes
Clarissa (The Witch Family), Amy (The Witch Family), Lurie (The Witch Family), Hannah | Little Witch Girl (The Witch Family)

I loved this book when I was a kid. Friendship, metafiction, playing with notions of right and wrong, brave little girls, found family … I mean, damn. (As an adult I find it a bit preachy and saccharine at times, but for the most part, it holds up beautifully.) And I’ve been really intrigued by the idea of future-fic for a few years now!

As far as fic goes, I’d prefer things to ultimately be upbeat, but please feel free to reduce the schmaltz level a little and be realistic about the characters’ flaws (perhaps especially Amy’s). I’d also be thrilled if you kept to the historical setting (the book came out in 1960, so assuming the girls were 7, as they are in the story, that year …) - although if you decide to write shipfic, please try to keep the homophobia (internalized or otherwise) relatively light/decentralized.

[...]

Request 5 by Lilith
Unwell: A Midwestern Gothic Mystery (Podcast)
Stella "Spikes" Cabrera, Lillian "Lily" Harper, Joey (Unwell)

I find the parallel nature of Joey’s friendships with various denizens of the town over the years absolutely tantalizing. I’m a sucker for narrative parallels. And creepy underpinnings to real, caring relationships. Yes.

[...]

Request 6 by Lilith
Sex Education (TV)
Lily Iglehart

I’m really interested in exploring more of Lily’s creative work and world - past, present, and/or future. I love metafiction and parallel narratives, which could play in here. I also love her and Ola and their awkward adorableness, though it’s clear that there’s room for some improved communication there! And I’m curious about the origins of her fascination with aliens (and alien sex), though I’d really like to avoid anything … pathologizing, or anything suggesting a history of abuse, please.

[...]

Due date

This pinch hit is due at: 9pm UTC on 24 December 2021.

Check the links below to see when it is for you:

To claim this pinch hit
If you are getting pinch hits by email, reply to the email that has the pinch hit you want in it, and include your ao3 name.

If you're viewing the google group forum on a mobile device, you can claim a pinch hit by emailing yuleti...@gmail.com with your AO3 name and the number of the pinch hit you want to claim.

If you're viewing the google group forum through the desktop version, you can use the same method as mobile, or scroll the welcome post above the topics to see further options.

If you successfully claim the pinch hit, we will reply and confirm that it's yours, and assign the recipient to you on AO3. If you don't hear from us, it went to someone else.

What does it mean to pinch hit? Are there penalties? Are there perks?
For more info, please see the Yuletide FAQ, and specifically:

You can send other questions to yuleti...@gmail.com.

Thank you and good luck!

-Yuletide mods