#273 The Secret Garden - FH Burnett, The Murderbot Diaries - Martha Wells, The Old Guard (Comics)

Yuletide Admin

Dec 22, 2020, 8:20:22 PM12/22/20
to yt...@googlegroups.com
Request 1 by fresne
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Mary Lennox (The Secret Garden - Burnett), Dickon Sowerby (The Secret Garden - Burnett), Colin Craven (The Secret Garden - Burnett), Archibald Craven (The Secret Garden - Burnett)

I've long loved the ways this story gets retold in yuletide, but it tends to stick to the WWI timeframe.

Reframe the story. Give me an angry black girl (told to smile) in a redlined district moving in with her uncle and hidden away cousin. Discover some hidden walled up space that needs love. If you want to riff on the black cowboys of Compton (or any urban garden story) do that too.

Set it in space. A station of steel and silicone and vast empty all around, and hidden within some earthly space in the midst of hydroponics.

A girl loses her parents in the midst of this 2020 pandemic. A little boy whose father thinks he could be vulnerable to this horrible disease is hidden away from social contact. Discover the wide open of the Yorkshire moors.

It's fine to write just some selected characters. Or if you want to go back to the tried and true, that's great too.

Letter: http://fresne.dreamwidth.org/266354.html

Request 2 by fresne
The Murderbot Diaries - Martha Wells
Murderbot (Murderbot Diaries), Asshole Research Transport (Murderbot Diaries)

I'd love a stand alone mystery. Murderbot tumbling into a mystery. I ship Murderbot and ART so if you want to play with romance beyond bodies that would be great. If you just want to vent about data security and the humans who are bad at it, that's fine. Snark would be great. I am open to more or less characters than selected, beyond wanting murderbot themself in it."

Letter: http://fresne.dreamwidth.org/266354.html

Request 3 by fresne
The Old Guard (Comics)
Andy | Andromache of Scythia (Old Guard Comics), Nicky | Nicolo di Genova (Old Guard Comics), Joe | Yusuf Al-Kaysani (Old Guard Comics)

I love history. Take this as your chance to revel in our characters interacting in various eras of history. Plop them in whatever historical moment you think needed a nudge in the right direction.

Want to languor in love? Joe and Nicky go on holiday in '20 Paris. Andy and whatever male or female or neither or both she chances into a tryst with. Marlene Dietrich. Marquis de Lafayette. Ancient to Near Modern (and ok I'm actually fine with a story set now).

Want to base out of the movie, that's fine. There's a detail from the comics you want to go into, great.

Letter: http://fresne.dreamwidth.org/266354.html

Due date
This pinch hit is due at: 9pm UTC on 24 December 2020 (PLEASE NOTE THE DAY *AND* TIME.)

Check the links below to see when it is for you:

To claim this pinch hit
If you are getting pinch hits by email, reply to the email that has the pinch hit you want in it, and include your ao3 name.

If you're viewing the google group forum on a mobile device, you can claim a pinch hit by emailing yuleti...@gmail.com with your AO3 name and the number of the pinch hit you want to claim.

If you're viewing the google group forum through the desktop version, you can use the same method as mobile, or scroll the welcome post above the topics to see further options.

If you successfully claim the pinch hit, we will reply and confirm that it's yours, and assign the recipient to you on AO3. If you don't hear from us, it went to someone else.

What does it mean to pinch hit? Are there penalties? Are there perks?
For more info, please see the Yuletide FAQ, and specifically:

You can send other questions to yuleti...@gmail.com.

Thank you and good luck!

-Yuletide mods