Crash Course Tentative Plan

Jeyakumaran Chandrasegaram

Apr 15, 2012, 9:35:42 PM4/15/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com, yarl-...@googlegroups.com
Tentative plan .. advice guys

Also senior J2EE folks .. volunteer yourself on which module you gonna take up to train us...

I feel Jason, Nirojan, Ratha and JK should involve in the training ... how about Senthu? anybody else?

1) Introduction to Java web programming.
-- Servlet
-- JSP
-- MVC and Mediation

2) Tutorial on JSF
-- Simple helloworld JSF tutorial
-- Explaining how ySchool is organised
-- implementing a simple feature in ySchool

3) Tutorial on JPA/Hibernate
-- Introduce to simple JDBC/MySQL inorder to making sure the DB issues are sorted out
-- Introduce the ORM concept, simple JPA modeling.
-- Implement a DB binding for yschool

4) Peer review, pair programming and unit test
-- Students review each other's code, write unit test.

5) Source control, build environment and unit tests
-- Explain the source control
-- Maven targets
-- Make everybody build and commit something to yschool

vijayaratha vijayasingam

Apr 16, 2012, 9:56:33 AM4/16/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com, yarl-...@googlegroups.com
+1, i'm in...
-Ratha

Vimalaharan Paskarasundaram

Apr 17, 2012, 2:06:13 AM4/17/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com, yarl-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JK,

I can help to prepare some of the training material, so please consider me..

thanks

regards,
vimal
--
P.Vimalaharan

Senthil

Apr 17, 2012, 2:37:09 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry.. Even though following the mailing list, I could not contribute any thing at this moment as few things in plate need to sorted out soon. Pls keep me in mailing list, I will get back you soon and contribute as much as possible.

Regards
Senthil

Jeyakumaran Chandrasegaram

Apr 17, 2012, 2:51:58 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
ySchool-Mini Project
--------------------------

Week 1 : Session 1 : Kick off session, Introduction to Java Web programming and MVC : JK

Week 1 : Session 2 : Introduction to source control, github and Maven : Gayathiri/Ratha

Week 2 : Session 1 :  Simple MVC tutorial on pure JSP/HTML/Mock objects : Vimal
   -- This will have three JSPs with simple forms, use of form beans, scriptlets, Servlets and simple domain mocks.

Week 2 : Session 2 :  Introduction to simple JDBC then ORM, JPA/Hibernate and replace ySchool-mini's mocks with this : Ratha

Week 3 : Session 1 :  Introduction to Web Frameworks, JSF2, and replace ySchool-Mini's View and Controller with JSF2 : Ajeethan (Senior Consultant in Singapore, expert in JSF)

Week 3 : Session 2 :   Introduction to Bootstrap, templating and related technologies : decorate ySchool-Mini with it : Jason

Week 4 : Session 1 : Introduction to JQuery, JavaScript & Ajax : <<Who?>> Ratha/Nirojan/Jason .. or anybody?
Week 4 : Session 2 : Unit Testing, Code formatting & Code Review

Note :
1) All the senior guys are expected to attend the sessions. But JK and Jason must be present in all the training sessions and moderate them.
2) Attendees should have
  1. Download binary for jdk 1.7 and install

  2. Download maven 3.0.4 from apache repository and extract to a selected location

  3. Download net beans 7.1 with java EE features and install it

  4. Download and install tomcat

3) Every week we will have simple assignments. Attendees will have create a github project called yschool-mini-<name> and commit their version in every week.

4) The most outstanding yschool-mini-<name> project will be awarded a price and the owner will become a committer to ySchool!

5) I excluded design and requirements aspect as its not something people can learn over a training session.

Any other ideas guys? Also have I miss anyone .. if you send suggestions . we can modify the agenda and finalise it today .. we are planning to kick start it this Saturday!

JK

Bala

Apr 17, 2012, 3:06:51 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com

JK

I repeat it again, incase if you’ve missed my previous mail. Include a session to cover the following.

a)      Coding standards and coding discipline

b)      The importance of software quality

Regards

Bala

Jeyakumaran Chandrasegaram

Apr 17, 2012, 3:11:22 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
Fair enuf Bala ...

Coding standard is covered in week5 .. it makes sense to bring it forward .. will do

software quality ... that's not something I can't learn from a course .. and way too early for a beginner to teach about quality ... and during the session, we all gonna emphasis on the standards we gonna follow .. so it is covered in a way anyway.

Bala

Apr 17, 2012, 5:08:17 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com

@JK

By software quality I mean the end user experience i.e. error free, user friendly, etc  software. There are many more aspects to this, hence it cannot be achieved through a single coding standard session.

It would very foolish for me to expect someone new to development to learn everything related to software quality in a 1-2 hour session.

My whole point is, you need to make them understand the importance of it now and let them assimilate it gradually as they  become experienced software engineers in time. There could be no better time than now to make them have a feel for software quality.

I guess the whole purpose of this exercise (yschool) other than rolling the product out  is to give these young boys and girls a holistic experience of software development and nurturing them into good software engineers than just code crunchers.

Balathasan Sayanthan

Apr 17, 2012, 8:46:32 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
JK,

How do you intend to have 2 sessions per week.

First session time slot, I think we can confirm to be from 9 AM to 10. 30 AM SL time on 21st April 2012.

Thank you,

regards,

Sayanthan
--
Balathasan Sayanthan

Jeyakumaran Chandrasegaram

Apr 17, 2012, 10:00:01 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
The topics are arranged so that, we should be able to finish in 2 hours time ... we cant teach end to end .. but can only show the way ya?

Balathasan Sayanthan

Apr 17, 2012, 11:21:04 AM4/17/12
to yarl-...@googlegroups.com, ysc...@googlegroups.com
ok then I will fix it as 9 to 11.
--
Balathasan Sayanthan

Senthu Sivasambu

Apr 18, 2012, 9:27:32 AM4/18/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com, yarl-...@googlegroups.com
JK,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you - I am in the middle of moving to another city.
Unfortunately I will not be able to participate for another week or two.

Hope to catch up soon. Will be following the email trails though.

best regards,

/Senthu
--

/Senthu

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." —J.K. Rowling

Ajeethan Ragupathy

Apr 20, 2012, 5:04:58 AM4/20/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

According to JK my part will be in third week, I will send the training materials one week before the session.

@JK : What is the server we are using  for ySchool (Sorry if i have missed any previous discussions on it)? We shall use the same for the training session.

Regards,
Ajeethan

Jeyakumaran Chandrasegaram

Apr 20, 2012, 7:11:51 AM4/20/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ajee,

Tomcat .. But for demo .. you can use Jetty maven plugin

Cheers,
JK

Sayanthan

Apr 22, 2012, 12:11:54 AM4/22/12
to ysc...@googlegroups.com, yarl-...@googlegroups.com
I had created a fresh group to do the course related communication with students.

Please feel free to make a request to join the group - https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/yit_training