Upcoming Transparent Change to AS2 Player URLs

Jeffrey Posnick

Nov 30, 2010, 6:00:01 PM11/30/10
to YouTube APIs Announcement Forum
We want to let the developer community know about an upcoming change
to the ActionScript 2 chromeless and embedded players that is
scheduled to go live over the next two days. While we intend for this
change to be seamless and require no modifications to your existing
code, we want to give folks a heads-up in case there are any
unanticipated edge cases. If you do see anything abnormal with your
ActionScript 2 YouTube applications following this change, please let
us know in the general YouTube API discussion forum (http://
groups.google.com/group/youtube-api-gdata).

The underlying domain that the ActionScript 2 SWF resources are being
served off of is changing from www.youtube.com to
youtube.googleapis.com. Requests made to http://www.youtube.com/v/
VIDEO_ID or http://www.youtube.com/apiplayer will result in 30x HTTP
redirect to the corresponding youtube.googleapis.com URL behind the
scenes, so there is no need to update the URLs you're using to
reference the players.

It's worth mentioning that the ActionScript 2 players are officially
deprecated, and there are no immediate changes being made to the
ActionScript 3 players.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, YouTube API Team

Jeffrey Posnick

Mar 22, 2012, 4:50:28 PM3/22/12
to YouTube APIs Announcement Forum
Hello,

 This previously announced change was not immediately implemented, but we are now ready to make the switch. Starting on March 28, the underlying domain that the ActionScript 2 SWF resources are being served off of is changing from www.youtube.com to youtube.googleapis.com. Requests made to http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEO_ID or http://www.youtube.com/apiplayer will result in 30x HTTP redirect to the corresponding youtube.googleapis.com URL behind the scenes, so there is no need to update the URLs you're using to reference the players.