Plan for 3.3.0 final?

Roger Masse

Jul 5, 2018, 9:36:59 AM7/5/18
to yourlabs

Hello -

This is my first post so let me start by saying "Thank you" to the package maintainers and contributors for DAL. It is working well for me.

It appears that 3.3.0 has been in a "release candidate" state six times over the last year or so.

It also appears as though each release candidate includes fixes for one or more open issues beyond those originally included in 3.3.0-rc1 which seems unusual in terms of versioning.

I am happy with 3.3.0-rc6 in terms of functionality, but my employer is not comfortable with deploying sites with non-final (release candidate) versions and requires certain extra justification for exceptions.

Apologies if this seems like trivial semantics, but is there a plan for 3.3.0 final?

   -Roger

Jamesie Pic

Jul 5, 2018, 9:52:49 AM7/5/18
to yourlabs
Hello Roger,

Well many users are blocked because of the way Django manages static files. There are issues literally everywhere (in DAL repo, in Django, in other apps that may be integrated with DAL).

I think the best fix is to bundle JS into files, but that means we also need to support select's AMD loading system for loading the appropriate language on the fly.

Something has been started, but not complete, and there's probably a long day of work to finish it properly:

I think it would be great to get to the bottom of this before releasing 3.3.0, then, it would support all Django out of the box (ie. the case where you have a datetime widget + a dal widget in the same admin page ...)

Other suggestions are welcome.

Best

Jamesie Pic

Jul 5, 2018, 3:26:25 PM7/5/18
to yourlabs
Hello Roger,

Actually disregard what I said, and congratulations, you have passed the test to become the new release manager.

Unless any objection is given, we will start the identity checking process next week.

Have a lotta fun

With Love,
From POITOU CHARENTE

Jamesie Pic

Jul 5, 2018, 3:29:24 PM7/5/18
to yourlabs
PS: Also this is my permission for you to do this on your paid time, feel free to forward it to your employer if necessary.