PUZZLING SIMILARITIES BETWEEN AKAN/GYAMAN ADINKRA SYMBOLISM AND ADINKRA IN MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS [RESPONSE FROM SYLVESTER JAMES GATES #1 [1 Attachment]

toyin adepoju

Feb 9, 2011, 3:31:37 PM2/9/11
to Charles Ogu, Yoruba Affairs, Odua, philosop...@yahoogroups.com, philosophi...@yahoogroups.com, Ayebia

From: Sylvester J. Gates Jr. <gat...@umd.edu>
Date: 9 February 2011 20:01
Subject: RE: PUZZLING SIMILARITIES BETWEEN AKAN/GYAMAN ADINKRA SYMBOLISM AND ADINKRA IN MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS

Dear Toyin,

Thank you for your message below.

For you and all your colleagues cc-ed on your communication, I have
attached to this message a document.  I hope that you are able to down
load it successfully.   These images are from my talk that appears at
the webpage

http://www.q2cfestival.com/play.php?lecture_id=7737

on-line.  In this presentation, I attempted to provide an explanation for
non-physicists on how the mathematical Adinkras emerged as part of
a research program that I have been undertaking for over a decade.

A fairly complete documentation of the long series of paper, of which
the one with Faux was part, can be found at the webpage

http://math.bard.edu/DFGHIL/index.php?n=Main.Publications

on-line.

The beginnings of this line of development can be seen in the work done
with my student Lubna Rana.  The earliest such work was completed in
1994 and it was quite well developed by 2002 when I wrote a paper with
my students William Linch and Joseph Phillips.

All of this work is purely mathematical and anyone can download free
copies of these works by going to the physics arXiv

  http://arxiv.org/

  ---> find

and in the search window type gates.  This will pull up all my papers
and by clicking on the correct titles shown at the Bard website, one
can find almost all of the papers and download them.

The paper with Faux simply was a way to use a graphical formulation
to condense the mathematics of all the previous works into a form that
make investigations even simpler.  In fact, although the paper with Faux
marked the beginning of the development of these graphs, for which
Michael suggested the name `Adinkras,' in fact complete Adinkras were
only developed later within the context of the DFGHIL collaboration of
mathematicians and theoretical physicists I created for the purpose of
studying the long line of developments I had been undertaking.  The
images that appear in the Faux-Gates paper are missing some impor-
tant features which were added in the DFGHIl works.  Without a
mathematical foundation these diagrams alone would be unlikely to
have any interest among scientists or mathematicians.

I should also say that the suggestion of the name also had to do with
the fact that when Michael and I completed the paper, I was in Mali.
We had been trying to think of a name and when I mentioned my lo-
cation, that seem to trigger in Michael his recollection of his earlier
travels thru west Africa where and when he first learned of classical
Adinkras.

Note that the mathematical developments were totally isolated and
prior to my work with Michael and my visit to Mali.  If I had not been
there, it is entirely possible that a different name entirely might have
been chosen.

So although you have found some beautiful similarities between some
of our mathematical Adinkras and classical ones, the mathematical foun-
dation for our graphs having been completed before the introduction of
the graphs means that the classical ones were not known to either me
nor my student when we created the foundations of the mathematical
Adinkras.

Our mathematical Adinkras really are a way of expressing the mathema-
tical relations that were found in my long (and continuing quest) to reach
the deepest possible understanding of the property known as supersym-
metry.

In the first three pages of the attached document, it is shown how to
begin with a square and then make it into either one or the other of
two of our mathematical Adinkras.  The Adinkras and their associated
`super-differential'  equations are shown on pages two and three.

The fourth pages shows how the analog of a square in a four dimen-
sional world (which is called a tesseract - see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

) can be made into an Adinkra by applying the same rules we applied to
the square.  From page five onward, there are simply samples of more
and more complicated and sophisticated mathematical Adinkras shown
without the accompanying equations.

As was pointed out in the cover story of 'Physics World,' in the June
2010 edition, this particular Adinkra is related to the Equations of Maxwell
which describe electricity and magnetism.  It also has a relation to the
Dirac Equation which describes electrons.  I would highly recommend
that you and your colleagues (interested in mathematical Adinkras)
read the story "Symbols of Power."  I have tried there to tell the story
how my research was led into this remarkable direction.  Anyone can
find the complete citation to this story by going to my homepage at

http://umdphysics.umd.edu/index.php/about-us/people/faculty/29-faculty/135-gates.html

on-line.  Finally, there is a synopsis of the Symbols of Power" story
available at

http://rccommentary2.blogspot.com/2010/07/if-you-knew-susy.html

on-line.  This blogger also adds his own commentary on the story.

Albert Einstein once said,

 "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
  reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contem-
  plates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of
  reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this
  mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

The creation of mathematical Adinkras emerged by my simply having
never stopped trying to answer a simple question about the mathema-
tics called supersymmetry.  If you read about me on the Wikipedia, you
can see I have been doing this since I was a young man at MIT.  This
questioning process has caught up other people like my students (first
Lubna) and later others (like Michael) who have joined me.  It has been
the driving theme of my research career and it feels like a question for
me to answer.

I hope this message will be clarifying for you.

                       All the best,

                            Jim