Fwd: In Search of Sacred Spaces: Exploring Sacred Groves in Ososa and Ado Ariye, Near Ijebu Ode

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Jun 5, 2024, 2:29:26 AMJun 5
to usaafricadialogue, Yoruba Affairs

In Search of Sacred Spaces

 Exploring Sacred Groves in Ososa and Odo Ariye, Near Ijebu Ode

Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

Image Above

Inside a sacred grove at Ososa into which I was led by a guide from the town.

Will Nigeria's sacred trees, groves and forests survive commercialization, Westernization, Christianity and Islam?

I doubt it, unless something drastic is done.

Image Above

One of the groves as seen from a distance.

I suspect it will be necessary to repurpose these places.

Their current general designation simply as spiritually powerful places defined by extremely limited entry might not protect them from the ravages of Westernization,  development, Christianity and Islam.

I suggest the ancient rituals may still be carried out in those places, in a modified form, but the groves should be opened to guided public use as places where people can relax, meditate, pray and enjoy their sublime atmospheres, atmospheres described as the expression of the spiritual powers of those places, powers that may be experienced whatever one thinks about them.

I came to this awareness of spiritual power in nature as something that may be experienced by anyone regardless of their interpretation of it through my encounters with very spiritually powerful trees, groves and a forest in Benin years ago, when such phenomena were easier to access there.