Seeker of Mysteries: A Journey of Twenty Years from Benin-City to Ijebu Ode in Search of Sacred Space: Part 7

Oluwatoyin Adepoju

Jun 3, 2024, 10:09:34 AMJun 3
to usaafricadialogue, Yoruba Affairs

                                                                      Seeker of Mysteries

                       A Journey of Twenty Years from Benin-City to Ijebu Ode in Search of Sacred Space

                                                                                Part 7

                                                             Oluwatoyin Vincent Adepoju

                                                                             Compcros

                                                 Comparative Cognitive Processes and Systems

                                                                                  Abstract

An exploration of sacred spaces, within an autobiographical context, in Ijebu-Ode, particularly those of the classical African spirituality of the Yoruba, in relation to Islam and Christianity in Ijebu-Ode and pre-Christian nature spirituality in England.

The Ijebu Ode constellation of mosques and churches in their ubiquity, their pervasive presence, in relation to the centrality and yet inadequate positioning of classical African spiritualities in Ijebu Ode suggests to me an urgent need for the sustenance of existing spaces and the creation of new ones dramatizing the value to humanity of the primal spiritualities of African peoples.

Image Above

Football game in play at the open space next to the Obanta shrine. Picture by myself.

The integration of play and gravitas represented by the open space in front of the Obanta shrine where youth play football, watched over by the sage presence of an ancient tree, the location of a library further inward within the space, the positioning of eloquently beautiful trees mapping the grounds, suggest to me the kinds of spaces that need to be built to project the nature centred, intergenerational, cognitively directed values of classical African spiritualities.

These should be spaces doing away with the gender restrictive character of some of its expressions, such as women not being allowed inside the Obanta shrine, as the inscription on its wall states, replacing such restrictions with such recognitions as the Yoruba origin Ogboni recognition of the unity of pluralities in generating a third factor, the Earth Mother present as the unifying force of the Ogboni, akin to the trinity actualised as the unity of the father, the mother and the child in Agbarha Ekene theology of the Urhobo.

image.jpeg

Image Above

Itoro at dusk, as seen from the road opposite the historic space. Picture by myself.

Who Am I?

I am that cognitively hungry person, driven by the yearning for knowledge,  trying to understand his place, that of his fellow humans and others beings, in the universe, and of the universe in the cosmos of possibilities.

What my fellow Africans, past and present, in relation to what people everywhere have thought or think of such aspirations, is strategic to my existence, impelling me on that visit to Ijebu-Ode and the compulsive writing through which I have composed this account of my trip.

The matrix of humanity and nature I have encountered in Ijebu-Ode continually calls to me, part of a larger network of investigations of classical Nigerian sacred spaces and associated thought and arts.

''The wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters of the petrel and the porpoise. In my end is my beginning''-T. S. Eliot.

 ''The spiral is an Nsibidi sign meaning 'journey' but it  also suggests the sun and eternity''- Inscribing Meaning: Writing and Graphic Systems in African Art exhibition, Smithsonian.