Death at dawn, rebirth at dusk, By Toyin Falola

1 view

Ololade Bamidele

Mar 23, 2023, 10:25:09 PM3/23/23
to Dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
"My recovery from an illness may have offered me a fresh opportunity to shout some more, point to societal needs, and settle unfinished businesses. No, not those caused by my personal undoing, but rather those of the people who would be left unguided, and for matters untold about life, society, and individuals. I can say I have passed through the lessons of tantra transfiguration, to use an elegant phrase that I recently came across, to move from secular to sacred activism. No one survives death because of its finality, but when it seems that you did, it is a renewed quest, offering a new purpose." - Toyin Falola

Michael Afolayan

Mar 24, 2023, 7:23:09 AM3/24/23
to Dialogue, Yoruba Affairs
"I have been celebrated and celebrating
For the miracles, I have worked with pen, paper, keyboard, and brain
I have taken the tales we tell in my village square beyond the Atlantic
Changed the songs that disdain us into appraisals
I have called my brothers not to point to our fathers’ house with their left hands"
(TF)

Beautiful!

In prose and poetry, you've spoken the truth and spoken it well, with no jaara added. Keep working and walking with all vigor and vitality. Keep telling the tales with the energy yet untold. Change those that need be changed and keep those that must be kept. Congratulations on your new birth. May those brothers heed your warning, and may you live long like the lengthy vista.

MOA

===

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin