Re: [NIgerianWorldForum] [NaijaPolitics] Re: Rosicurians and astral travel

toyin adepoju

Jun 2, 2010, 9:39:42 PM6/2/10
to NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, naijap...@yahoogroups.com, Edo-nationality, WoleSoyinkaSociety, usaafricadialogue, Nidoa, nai, Yoruba Affairs, Odua
I will begin by answering the questions asked as well as I can before providing a detailed response later on.

I am a Rosicrucian though I have not gone far in the Order having reached only the First Temple Degree,if I remember well.I understand there are about 13 degrees.

As for the question of whether or not one can leave when one likes,as far as I know,one can go any time one wants without any repercussions.I for one,have dropped out a number of times and nobody  even bothered to contact me  to ask me what was  happening.The reason why I have only reached the First Temple Degree is because I have long ceased to pay my dues.When I came to England,I got in touch with the English Grand Lodge who retrieved my records from the Nigerian lodge and offered to reenstate me.I have not taken them up on the offer because I see AMORC as rather too structured for my liking, since I prefer to do my mystical and occult study in a Do It Yourself fashion.I am also not too pleased with the secrecy clause that comes with AMORC monographs,the primary teaching tool of the Order because it seemed to me that that implied that someone else controlled how I used the knowledge I gained rather than myself.My telephone conversation of one or two years ago with Sven Johannson, ,if I remember his name well,Master of the English Grand Lodge,suggests,however, that this might not be absolute.He stated that one is free to quote from the monographs in public discourse as long as one  does not export large amounts of text. I ought to explore that further.

The fact that AMORC is essentially a  correspondence course means that your level of affiliation is uo to you.You dont have to join other members in a lodge.No one needs to know you face to face.You can stop paying your dues and therefore cease membership at any time. I have had a member who was convinced that he wanted to become an Eckist and leave AMORC,who passed on to me all his copies of the magazine the Rosicrucian Digest.In AMORC,to a large extent,you operate as an independent agent.You pay your dues and get your monographs and Digest.You decide how you study,how often and how much of the work you will do.You can accumulate the monographs for years and not read  them.You can and practice only some of what you read in them them since they contain both theory and practice.Progress is entirely up to you.

Now let me address the questions of astral travel.

I expect AMORC teaches a practice described in one of the monographs as projection of consciousness.I have not reached a degree where it was taught but I accidentally experienced it before and will describe it shortly.

I expect there could be diligent AMORC members who can project consciousness with some degree of proficiency.I expect the technique can be learnt without too much difficulty.The key is persistence. I will describe later the little I know of the technique.

I would think that even if they could project consciousness to Saudia Arabia during the UMYA crisis and even if they did do that,from the little I know of AMORC they would not talk about it.AMORC members are quite,if not very conservative.The Order as a whole is quite conservative.They hardly talk publicly about their membership and do not even share ideas from a higher degree with members at lower degrees,at least from my experience in Nigeria.

The manner in which I used to know their members was from the aura around their faces.This is an "energy" projected from the face by consistent practice of spiritual disciplines and is different for people from different spiritual disciplines, including Christianity and Ogun priesthood,to quote those within my experience..It is a kind of invisible but nevertheless perceptible   signature. It can also be found emanating from  spiritually powerful trees and  spaces consistently  used for intense spiritual activity,such as prayer and ritual,even a bed room.I have asked the AMORC members whom I thus identified  about their membership of the Order and in the two instances I asked this of compete strangers my insight was confirmed by their affirmative response.

I suspect that the conservative stance that informs Rosicrucians being so low key has to do with a particular philosophy about spirituality.It can be summed up in an expression from the Chinese philosophical classic the Tao te Ching,to the effect that the best king is the one who rules without people  knowing that he is ruling and the people  think they rule themselves.Something like that.Why attract attention to yourself that will make  it difficult to go about your normal life.If UMYA's whereabouts are a mystery and  so what? Is that not part of the  social development of the country?

Most AMORC members known to me are ordinary workers in respectable jobs in the public and private sectors,living normal steady lives, the very antithesis  of  an attention attracting person. According to the English writer J RR Tolkien, "All that is gold does not glitter".

Can AMORC members  project into your office and tell you things about your spatial location or dressing and activities they would not otherwise know? Perhaps.I have not had the experience or met anyone who has.At the same time,however,one needs to note that scientific experiments are being conducted for some years now  into parapsychology that involve such activities.Also being studied are the related phenomenon of  NDEs, Near Death Experiences,in which patients who were pronounced clinically dead,having miraculously revived,have given accounts of activities taking place in the hospital while they were supposedly dead. They claimed they knew of those things while out of their body during the temporary death  phase.It has become so consistent and widespread that it has been officially  acknowledged and is being investigated  by scientists and humanities scholars.A recent academic book that explores this is  Ornella  Corazza's Near Death Experiences: Exploring the Mind Body Connection  which it does from the perspective of medicine and philosophy.

I have a very close person who had  a similar experience of leaving her body as she was recuperating  after  a very difficult delivery,looking at her body,then rushing round to the front desk to ask for  help from the nurse who could not see her,and finally realising  that she was invisible to everyone else,including her sister and mother in law at her bedside, asked God in anguish what would happen to her newly born child if she were to die, at which point she fused with her body and woke up with a  start, eventually going to the toilet from the first  time in a week.The doctor was surprised because he had thought she would not make it.The stretcher placed outside her door,which she saw when she was in her spirit form and which could not have seen otherwise beceause she was bedridden for a week, might have been  in anticipation of that.

As for the use of psychic powers in espionage,this might be done, but secretly.While attending a meeting involving a detective in Oxford, the detective stated to me that his force uses psychics and that they have proven effective.

As for the public acknowledgement and eager pursuit of such use,the Western world prides itself on control and understanding of nature on which its technology is based.Its opinion makers might not been keen on acknowledging  that there are some effective powers that cannot be explained by its understanding of the laws of nature. This BBC report  presents perspectives on this.It also indicates the US government's  Stargate Project which " investigated  'remote viewing' - the ability to psychically 'see' people and objects from great distances" as well as OBEs Out of Body Experiences.The Wikipedia article on OBEs gives a detailed overview of the nature of the experience and of the scholarly study of the field.Paul Brunton's A Search in Secret Eypt,in the section where he spends a night in the sarcophagus in the Great Pyramid,suggests  a link between NDEs ans OBEs

Research goes on in this field. Among the bodies doing this are the  Alister Hardy Research Centre (RERC) and the Exceptional Human Experience Network /

Projection of consciousness,of which astral travel could be an example could involve visiting physical locations,as in the example of the woman who was seeking for help in the hospital or it could involve entering into realities not directly correlative with the physical world.The latter was my own  experience in  about 2000.It involved  my exploration of Bini nature spirituality and the notion from various world views globally that certain locations embody peculiar forces  which are related to consciousness in inanimate forms in nature.I encountered one such  location,the forest where  the Ogba river in Benin breaks ground for the first time,  on Ekenwan Road going towards Asoro Grammar School.One day,after years of visiting the spot and marvelling at the aura it emanated,I was sitting in my  in my house off Owina Street,relaxing   in front of my study at my altar/shrine,on which I had a piece of wood from the bottom of the river and stones from the road leading to the forest.My mind went to the forest and I wondered about the potent atmosphere of  the forest,described by people as the presence of the spirit of the river,a sense of stillness and awe around the place.My eyes were closed while I revelled in my memory of that majestic presence.

 I opened my eyes to find myself in a different place from my study/shrine.I seemed to be kneeling,and I rose to find a woman's hand on my head as if in benediction. I  got the  impression that I had inadvertently  entered into a  strange  place and that I was welcome.

The woman,a middle aged Black woman, moved away from me towards the opposite side of the room and  I observed figurines-small statues- on the wall behind her which I took to symbolise the cultural provenance of the experience,namely classical-what is often called  traditional-African culture-since the art works came from that culture.No words were exchanged between the woman  and I.I simply understood everything intuitively.

I got the impression that she had moved away from me so that my faculties could better assert themselves and facilitate my realisation that I was not under anybody's  control.I understood that I was not dreaming but that I was not as alert as I normally am in my waking consciousness.I also understood that I was present there in an embodied form,with awareness of all the organs of my body.I realised  that I did not know how I got there but I was aware of my distinctive identity.Having established these parameters of consciousness,with the woman  watching me without  speaking,I opened  my eyes again to see myself seated at my chair in my study/shrine.

I later went through a description of the procedure for projection of consciousness in a  copy of the Rosicrucian Digest,an AMORC  magazine open to both members and non-members and found that I had inadvertently adopted the technique before the experience I had gone through.I was in a relaxed state,while visualising the location,while gently but intensely exploring my curiosity about it.I did not try to project my consciousness but  my intense desire,nurtured over years of curiosity and visiting that location,might have acted as a trigger that actuated the projection of consciousness.

I have tried repeatedly over the years  to replicate the experience but  without success.Perhaps I need to be consistent.

What  happened? I think I entered  into an awareness of a reality associated with the forest of which the woman and the room were embodiments.They might not have been real in the material sense in which I experienced them.The material form of the experience,including my sense of my own embodiment, might have been how my mind chose to interpret the experience.I am still puzzled..

Who was the woman?The entity described as the spirit of the river?Another human being like myself who was more adept at taking advantage of the resources of the forest,perhaps one of the witches reputed to use the nearby okhan tree as a meeting spot? Once I am freer,I will  explore that location more seriously and see what I can do about going deeper into the opportunity it provides.

My second experience was some years before this one.I was in a danfo bus travelling from Benin to Lagos at night.There was a passenger in front with the driver while  two of us were at the back.I closed my eyes to meditate and opened them without any sense of time passing,to find  I was on a hospital bed with pains all over my body.I learnt the bus I had been in had collided with a stationary truck killing the two people in front of the bus and wounding the passenger who had been by my side  me so badly on the head that he had to be chained to the bed beceause the damage to his brain  had made him violent.The villagers in a nearby village had rescued us from the damaged vehicle and taken us to the hospital.

I escaped with only a slight  sprain to my neck and body pains which did not last long.

I did not experience the accident.I did not experience any passage of time between my closing my eyes to meditate while in the bus and opening them to find myself on the hospital bed.I had heard and experienced nothing in the almost timeless period when my eyes were closed.

What happened? I can think of  a number of explanatory possibilities.One might be that the act of meditation put me in touch with an inner force,described in many world views,including AMORC,where it is called the Master Within,chi of the Igbo,ehi of the Bini,ori of the Yoruba,kra of the Akan,atman in Hinduism,the Holy Guardian Angel in Western magic,the image of God in the human being  in Judea-Christianity, that protected me.Also,rather than use such quasi-personifying   descriptions one could argue for a faculty of the mind that was activated by my meditation,protecting me.Or one could just say that an external  spiritual agent protected me.It can be argued that all theses explanations  can be reconciled through  the notion of there being no fundamental  separation between  spirit and mind.

Or perhaps the accident touched a particular nerve that rendered me unconscious while I luckily escaped unharmed.

Or one could also speculate argue that my mind managed my body in a manner that made sure I was not hurt,the way that people are described as being  to be able to walk on fire or breathe out fire and do other apparently biologically impossible  feats.My conscious mind being kept unconscious by my normally unconscious or super-conscious mind might have enabled  those inner  powers to go to work without interference from my conscious  mind.I dont know.

The meditation technique I was using was one I stumbled on through  the inspiration of reading Abd ru Shin's In the Light of Truth even though I was never a member of his school the Grail Message.It involves maintaining silence,closing my eyes and thinking of nothing in particular.Just being quietly sensitive to any impressions  that might emerge.A very relaxing and empowering  meditation I had been consistent with for years  before the incident  and which remains  my central  contemplative practice. Karen Salmansohn  has written a fine book describing similar methods-How to Change Your Entire Life by Doing Absoluty Nothing: 10 Do Nothing Relaxation Exercises to Calm You Down Quickly so You can Speed Forward Faster ,similar to the expression from Zen Buddhism,Sitting quietly,doing nothing.

I will leave out my other,less spectacular experiences,including successfully using magical invocation and meditation in academic,philosophical and imaginative writing.

My experiences were not directly the results of my practicing AMORC techniques.AMORC,however,has similar techniques and my reading of their literature  and my practice of their techniques has contributed to my general  mental and spiritual health and orientation to life.

With reference to this statement by Dominic "While some energetic people are building rockets to travel to the moon, others lazy people are sitting on their armchair preparing to travel astrally ...." I will ask the permission of a member of the group OccultCabal to post his account of his experience of healing using  out of body projection.Even though his practice might not be identical with that of AMORC,it could suggest differences of value between mechanical motion and motion through a non-material  human  body.

Noyo Edem mentions that Chim is a PhD holder,in her statement about why AMORC and Chim will not go together.In response to that,I will not elaborate on the almost global scope of the eclectic spiritual,philosophical and scientific knowledge addressed by AMORC monographs and public publications.I will on;y mention  my puzzle in connection with an announcement I read some years ago on the website of University College,London to the effect that researchers had discovered that specific parts of the brain relate to particular pursuits and aptitudes.I was puzzled because it seemed identical to what I had read  years earlier in a Rosicrucian monograph while I was in Nigeria.

Edem also mentions that Chima is a Christian,in relation to why AMORC would not suit him.Again I dont want to start arguing about AMORC in relation to  Christianity.I want to ask if Edem and Chima,and perhaps Attueyi, have some acquaintance with Christian mysticism.

People tend to look down on Wikipedia but it is often accurate and a good introduction to what would otherwise be alien issues.I suggest anyone who wants to know about Christian mysticism could start there.A Google search will lead to a broader range in this field of knowledge.I have read some of the works of the Pentecostal spiritual masters,such as Benny Hinn's Good Morning Holy Spirit and the writings of Kenneth Hagin in the US,Reinhard Bonke,from Germany (?)as well as listened to Benson Idahosa,Kolawole Olukoya,Chris Oyakhilome and others in Nigeria. From what I know about  Christian Pentecostalism,being a born again Christian myself who used to be a regular church goer,along with being a Confirmed Catholic,I would argue that a complete grasp of the wealth of Christianity is not possible without some acquaintance with Christian mysticism,theology and philosophy from the Catholic,Protestant and Eastern Orthodox traditions.

What has this got to do with AMORC? AMORC is an eclectic mystical school,mysticism being describable as the theory and practice of unmediated,direct  awareness of the source of existence,known as God and Allah by some theists and as the Voidness beyond being and non-being by Buddhism,similar to the conception of  cosmic mind in AMORC. It was in a  Rosicrucian Digest I read one of the best translations of the dean of Christian mystics,St John of the Cross' Dark Night of the Soul,Noche Oscura in his native Spanish,in which while imprisoned  and flogged he sang in his poetry of his hunger for God and his eventual union with the divine bridegroom after he had gone forth to meet him  "On a dark and secret night,starving for love and deep in flame,going  forth from my house led by nothing but the fire,the fire inside...."

I hold,however,that the picture of Jesus described by Harvey Spencer Lewis, the founder of AMORC,in his Secret Life of Jesus,which he claims to have got from secret  documents,documents which,as far as I know he has never made available to scholars in the field,does  not look plausible to me.It conflicts wit the radical and iconoclastic  character of Jesus who is presented as   more of a rebel and lone ranger,an individualistic genius,  than the student of an AMORC like learning  structure as Lewis claims .How do we explain,however,the account of Jesus dissapearance  for years and reappearance with a powerful method of ministry and fully developed spiritual powers? Since he grew physically and  mentally from babyhood to adulthood,as well as needing to recharge himself through prayer during his minstry,he was engaged in cycles of activity like any normal human being,suggesting the limitations of his resources,and implying that those resources were acquired through being carefully husbanded.He seems to have been very busy between youthful  debate  with the scribes in the temple and his teaching ministry.What was he doing?Was he fully self taught?

I also consider most unlikely   Lewis's claim  that AMORC is an ancient Order founded by the ancient Egyptian Pharaoh Akhnaton,a claim  I have never seen any evidence in support of.It looks  to me more like like PR,like the Catholic church claiming that the Pope is a direct descent of apostle Peter,rather than a creation of the marriage between Christianity and the Roman Empire. To me AMORC is better off without such unverified and to me unverifiable  claims.The Order has been inspired by ancient Egypt and Akhnaton.Perhaps Akhnaton is a spiritual guide to the Order or something similar.These, however,are not identical with a consistency of institutional organisation from ancient Egypt.Egypt,however,is central for much of Western occultism.

The genius of Harvey Spencer Lewis and his earlier associates created a powerful structure in AMORC that ,to me,makes  such claims unnecessary.

thanks
toyin

toyin

On 2 June 2010 19:53, wharfrey <wharf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hahahaha... Nwanna you wanna kill me o! Gosh take it easy. Did you notice that the major proponent of this mystery travel is none other than the "great educated" mind?

Wharf A. Snake - Idi-oro, Lagos.

--- In NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, Dominic Ogbonna <summadom@...> wrote:

> [...]
> doing?
>
> (2.) Instead of risking agents all over the place, why doesn't the CIA and
> FBI just use Astral traveling agents to grab information from enemy
> territory?
>
> (3.) Are there any rosicrucians on this forum? Can one of you please come
> into my office right now and tell me the color of my wrist-watch today? If
> you guess right, I will give you 50K, American, no questions asked!!!
>
> Oh wait, the "*travel*" in "Astral travel" is not really "travel"!!!! When
> you "travel" via astral-travel, you don't visit places and locations that
> can be verified by ordinary people!! You only visit mystical places that can
> be verified by "faith" or, as Joe Attueyi would say, by 'simple-minded'
> people who believe what they are told without asking questions.
>
> While some energetic people are building rockets to travel to the moon,
> others lazy people are sitting on their armchair preparing to travel
> astrally ....
>
> Na waaa!
>
> Dominic
>
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Joe Attueyi topcrestt@... wrote:
>

> > Toyin,
> > And if Chim Ahanotu wants to leave after a few years, is he free to leave
> > WITHOUT repercussions?
> >
> > Joe
> >

> > --- In NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com <NaijaPolitics%40yahoogroups.com>,

> > toyin adepoju toyin.adepoju@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Chim.I am attempting an answer of some comprehensiveness that
> > > will address all these questions of yours and more, including Edem's and
> > > Attueyi's queries.It should be ready by this evening or early tomorrow
> > > morning.
> > >
> > > I am also interested in other perspectives on the Rosicrucians and would
> > be
> > > excited to read them.
> > >
> > > When you mention invitation,do you mean invitation to join the
> > Rosicrucians?
> > > If so,there are quite a few Rosicrucian bodies and a Google search will
> > lead
> > > you to some of them.The best known in Nigeria, to my knowledge,is
> > AMORC,the
> > > Ancient Mystical Order of the Rosy Cross. Again a Google search will get
> > you
> > > to them quickly.If you send an email to their branch nearest where you
> > live
> > > they will quickly send you free material to read plus application
> > forms.If
> > > you join them,for a relatively small quarterly fee,you will
> > > re rewarded with the equivalent of a large library,gradually delivered in
> > > carefully graded units, covering various disciplines from spirituality to
> > > science and philosophy,along with fascinating exercises meant to develop
> > > both your mind and other more unusual capacities.The journey is
> > > a demanding scholarly,mystical and occult journey that takes quite some
> > > years, though,if one is serious about it.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

toyin adepoju

Jun 3, 2010, 3:59:09 AM6/3/10
to edo-nat...@yahoogroups.com, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, naijap...@yahoogroups.com, WoleSoyinkaSociety, usaafricadialogue, Nidoa, nai, Yoruba Affairs, Odua
Dominic,

What is your level of research on the subject? How much have you read about it by both sceptics and believers? Have you experimented with it yourself,perhaps every day for one year?

There was a time when there was no refrigeration and an English scholar died from the cold he caught while immersing an organic form in snow to see if it would be preserved.Many inventions and practices were believed to be impossible until they were realized through experiment.Those who will discover are those who explore not those who are waiting to be convinced.

On claims about unusual human powers I think it is crucial to both do scholarly research and experiment in a dedicated manner with oneself for a significant length of time.I observe that people are often content with doing only one of those two approaches or even neither.

thanks
toyin

On 3 June 2010 03:34, Dominic Ogbonna <summ...@gmail.com> wrote:

Toyin:

Woow, that's a mouthful you have written. I am not sure I know enough to address most of it, but if anybody is able to travel astrally or travel into the future, that should be easy enough to confirm  or falsify. I have heard the claims ever since I was an undergraduate. I have read a few interesting books on the subject. But So far I have seen no tangible evidence that anybody can do such a thing. Until we see some reproducible evidence,  these tales are about as credible as UFO tales.

Dominic

Recent Activity:
visit our website:

http://www.edo-nation.net

You can also get a free email service from http://www.edo-nation.net.
This is the first Nigerian website to offer free emails and the only still offering it free.

"Each generation must, out of relative obscurity, discover its mission, fulfill it or betray it." - Frantz Fanon
Please visit our web site:-

www.edo-nation.net

MARKETPLACE

toyin adepoju

Jun 3, 2010, 4:00:18 AM6/3/10
to it...@mail.ccs-africa.co.za, NIgerianW...@yahoogroups.com, naijap...@yahoogroups.com, WoleSoyinkaSociety, usaafricadialogue, Nidoa, nai, Yoruba Affairs, Odua
Dominic,

thanks
toyin

> Dominic
>

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM, toyin adepoju <
> toyin....@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> for intense spiritual activity,such as prayer and ritual,even a bed roomI

toyin adepoju

Jun 3, 2010, 10:15:50 AM6/3/10
to Yoruba Affairs, Odua

Jun 3, 2010, 10:16:34 AM6/3/10
to Yoruba Affairs, Odua
Thanks Emmanuel.Those people in the Americas are in a different class  compared to their relatives in Africa.For one thing,their ancestral religions represent their life line to their authentic identity from the time of slavery to the legal suppression of Black civil rights in the Jim Crow era to the present ongoing struggle for their basic humanity.Christianity was the religion of the oppressor which they merged with the traditions they brought from their Africa through the terrible Middle Passage where so many died in horrendous conditions.I understand they merged Christianity and their ancestral traditions from Yorubaland,Igbo land,Akan,Congo and other places because they were forbidden to practice their native religions beceause the slave masters forbade their practice of their native religions because those were sources of strength for the slaves.The fact that Christianity was the religion of the slavers would have worked against any argument that it was a superior religion.

I wonder though,to what degree  the African traditions in the US have developed an intellectual tradition and in this, learning from Christianity and its relationship with Western intellectual culture could be vital. Christianity provided the earliest and perhaps still the most influential cosmological framework in terms of which intellectual life was conducted,reacted against and re-emerging  in various contexts.The Africana world views are not simply means of worship and  magical means of fulfilling desires but are alternative conceptions of the nature of reality that can form the basis of a cognitive tradition.Sadly,most of the world has adopted wholesale the Western intellectual tradition.There is a need to examine other ways of understanding the universe.Africana,Asian and marginalised Western traditions could be vital in this.

thanks
toyin