Millling machine and Red Toolbox reorganisation

Joseph

Jun 7, 2023, 10:18:53 AM6/7/23
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

I was (mostly jokingly) contemplating whether we have the physical space for a benchtop mill, and also whether having one is a good idea.

I was also considering whether the red toolbox is actually the best way of storing all of the screwdrivers, files and spare chisels, as it takes up quite a bit of space on the bench (which realistically is about the only space we could put a mill on). Even if we don't get a mill, sorting that may be a good idea.

Arc sell this with all of the basic equipment needed to use it (vice, clamps, a few endmills to get started with), and second hand benchtop mills are available cheaper or at the same price (in some cases, probably in better quality). It would be at least a two person job to get it up the stairs.
If we were to actually get a mill, I would suggest it replacing the pillar drill, simply so that we actually have a bit of bench space left.
Arc and Axminster also sell this and this respectively which are smaller, cheaper machines, if anyone is interested.

Joseph

Miki Mokrysz

Jun 8, 2023, 5:02:04 PM6/8/23
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joseph,

The idea of a mini-mill does keep coming up! And always in that location. It would be really cool...

Miki