You want your key deposit back! ... or maybe not? (box proposal)

Lex Bailey

Mar 6, 2024, 9:20:24 PMMar 6
to York Hackspace
Okay,
so we (the trustees) had an idea.

First, to make things clear: The old key deposit of £25 remains refundable as agreed when you signed up and paid the deposit. You are entitled to have this back when you return your _old_ keys. This has not changed.

There is a £10 deposit for the new key, which very few people have paid so far. We are therefore anticipating returning £15 to each member after their key swap is complete, to resolve the £25 minus £10 owed.

However, here comes the cool idea:

We want to standardise member storage. We want to build storage suitable for the 35L Really Useful Boxes. These cost about £15 each. So the idea is to provide a service where members can optionally be provided with a 35L storage box for a refundable deposit of £15. The space for that storage box to be in will be provided regardless of if you pay a deposit for a box, and you are still welcome to bring your own box to use in that space.

So, you have an additional option instead of taking the £15 back, you can let us keep it, and we will provide you with a box in return.
If you end your membership then you can either: take the box with you and forfeit the deposit, or take the £15 back and leave the box. (We will expect the box back in a usable state)

We think this is good because:
* you still have the option to get your old key deposit back if you wish
* you also have a new option to get a box
* if lots of people opt in to this then it reduces the admin overhead of deposit refunds
* it will make member's storage _much_ better than it was in the old space

We are proposing this as a policy. Do people like this idea?

Thanks.
Lex.

Lissa Moriarty

Mar 7, 2024, 2:47:27 AMMar 7
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Pls gib boxen :)

This is a really good (useful?) idea.  Happy to help adjust / build shelving as needed.

How many people already have a 35L box of their own for measuring up?

Lissa

Miki Mokrysz

Mar 7, 2024, 1:47:43 PMMar 7
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
I’m in favour of some shelving being designed around those boxes. A decent number of members already use them, and they work very well.

ASDA (including the one next to new space) is selling them for £10 each, so this is a great time to want to buy some.

Miki

Simon Greener

Mar 8, 2024, 9:01:53 AMMar 8
to York Hackspace
I will hapily opt for a replacement new key + a 35L box.