How to recycle old laptops & PCs using Linux

Andy Fierman

Jan 12, 2021, 10:48:05 AM1/12/21
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Given that the government hasn't distributed a sufficiency of laptops for children online schooling at home, I have put together some notes that I would be grateful if people could circulate on their local community Facebook or whatever noticeboards.

I am not yet organised to do large numbers of them and it is my hope that there are enough people who are able to pick this up and run with it in the same way that the 3D mask printing took off.

I have recently done a nice little HP PC-11 that was struggling with W8.1 and had no chance of running W10.

Here it is running MS Teams installed with audio and video no problem:

image.png

Cheers,

         Andy.

John Cooper

Jan 12, 2021, 1:33:44 PM1/12/21
to York Hack Space
Hi Andy

That looks like a helpful guide. If anybody has any spare kit then it might also be worth getting in touch with the Community furniture store who are recycling it in similar ways.

https://communityfurniturestore.co.uk/wordpress/it-reuse/

Thanks

John

York MakerFest | York Pi Jam

Jan 13, 2021, 4:45:24 AM1/13/21
to York Hackspace

Hi,

York Pi Jam (One of North Yorkshire’s leading charity for providing digital making activities to young people) is doing a Tech for Students campaign and are actively seeking volunteers to help with this project.

Find out more at bigcharitygiveback.co.uk and click the ‘Tech for Students’ button.

If you want to volunteer, drop me an email at he...@bigcharitygiveback.co.uk

Keep safe!

Luke

Andy Fierman

Jan 14, 2021, 12:21:33 PM1/14/21
to York Hackspace
Thanks,

I tried a few times but their online contact forms are broken...

Andy Fierman

Jan 14, 2021, 12:26:42 PM1/14/21
to York Hackspace
Thank Luke,