Purchase request: Emergency lighting

Gavin Atkinson

Apr 16, 2024, 3:33:05 PMApr 16
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's been suggested we should install an emergency light into room 2 as it's very dark in there with no lighting and should the power fail while somebody is using the lathe that would be bad.

I propose we buy:

Total: £68.86 inc VAT.

This is almost identical to the existing batons in the room (this is the updated model, they no longer sell the identical ones) and would replace the first unit above the door (mainly due to how it will need to be wired in).  This is the cheapest I can find it once postage is taken into account, and is the company a lot of our cable came from during the building of the space so I'm happy they are trustworthy.

I don't think we need the same in room 1 as a) it's not as dark in there (there's already an emergency exit light above the door and along the corridor) and b) it's not full of spinny danger-machines.

Gavin

york-hack-spac...@foxtails.uk

Apr 16, 2024, 4:05:03 PMApr 16
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Seems reasonable enough to me.

My only query would be whether this is a YHS issue or a building issue; in any case it shouldn't be a problem for us to have our own.

Lissa

Gavin Atkinson

Apr 16, 2024, 5:01:41 PMApr 16
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
I think it's probably our issue; it wouldn't really be a problem if it wasn't for the lathe etc.

Lex Bailey

Apr 16, 2024, 6:47:59 PMApr 16
to York Hackspace

it's a good point, emergency lighting is normally a landlords responsibility, right?

but I don't have a problem with us buying one ourselves. we certainly should have one in there though.

Apr 17, 2024, 7:07:48 AMApr 17
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
The two situations I can think of are:
- Lighting circuit fault (sockets still on); machines are powered, need
lighting
- Full loss of power; machines will spin down but some will power up
again

The lathe, belt sander and CNC all have self-latching relays so will
drop out if the mains goes. The (old) bandsaw has a simple rocker
switch. I have a feeling the scroll saw is a self-latching relay.

If it's possible to get a suitable switch for the entire bench, I think
that would be No Bad Thing.

Cheers

Lissa