Hackspace purchase request: laser tube

Gavin Atkinson

Mar 17, 2024, 6:10:09 PMMar 17
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd like to request we purchase https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225781247442 - a replacement laser tube for the small laser cutter.

The current tube has been damaged (possibly before the move, though it was only noticed during) and while it may be repairable it will involve buying special thermally consuctive epoxy glue that we do not currently have, and there's no guarantee that it will be fixable or reliable afterwards. If it fails, there is a good chance that it will lead to the laser cutter being filled with cooling water, so I'm suggesting it's not worth the risk. Also, tubes do degrade over time, and replacing the tube should improve the cutting quality somewhat.

We are likely some time away from having the new large cutter working (we don't even know for sure what is wrong with it yet) so getting the existing one functional again seems worthwhile.

We can afford this without issue financially.

Thanks,

Gavin

Lex Bailey

Mar 17, 2024, 6:13:18 PMMar 17
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
actually I think we've made good progress with the big cutter, however it is indeed still some way away from being ready. I agree that we should spend the money on getting the small one up and running for now at least

Lex.

Mar 17, 2024, 6:32:17 PMMar 17
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree this is a good idea.

Plenty of people do a lot of laser cutting all the time so I think it's worth getting the K40 back up and running ASAP.

I understand people are actively looking at the big cutter - thankyou; I assume that'll need some further work and some write-up with the new toolchain etc before people can be trained on it.

Cheers

Lissa

Nat Lasseter

Mar 17, 2024, 6:44:19 PMMar 17
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
+1 to buying toob.

Thanks
--
Nat Lasseter

John Robinson

Mar 19, 2024, 6:17:37 AMMar 19
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Do you need another 'yes please', even if it is a couple of days late?  If so, "Yes, please".

Thanks to all for locating this, and the investigations of the big cutter.

Best wishes

John