Proposal: Woodworking bench

Nick Moriarty

Aug 27, 2022, 2:44:02 PM8/27/22
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Way back in November, we discussed reworking one end of the hackspace.  That work has now largely been completed - a new bench has been constructed and equipment has been moved.  We spent about £165 on materials as part of this work, of the £200 estimate (with up to £250 authorised).  The only outstanding part is related to the woodworking bench.

During the build we found the woodworking bench to be pretty much unsound as it is - the kitchen units just don't have enough resistance to sideways racking.  Therefore, I propose constructing an additional bench to replace the kitchen units and the old laser cutter table.

This would be of similar construction to the new big bench but will match the current position and dimensions of the woodworking bench at the end of the space - going about 8' (2.4m) along the wall right into the corner and with a depth of 28" (72cm).  It will have diagonal bracing in the sides and back to resist racking from planing, hammering and sawing, and will be customized to accept and properly support the woodworking vice.  It will have storage under, similar to the new big bench, in the form of floor space and a mid-shelf, and we will likely reuse some materials and spare server rails to construct some drawers in part of that and/or the big bench.

I estimate the cost of materials for the woodworking bench to be around £100.  I'd therefore request authorizing up to £150 to account for any unexpected overage.

This starts the 48h period for consideration of a purchase as per the purchase policy.  Please reply with approval / comments / objections.  I'd appreciate if the trustees could comment on how the accounts are looking in the context of this spend, too, please.

Regards

Nick

Carwyn Edwards

Aug 27, 2022, 2:50:45 PM8/27/22
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, +1 from me

Joseph

Aug 27, 2022, 3:03:57 PM8/27/22
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
I think I was around when we were chatting about this initially. I'd say it would be a good idea.

Joseph

Lex Bailey

Aug 27, 2022, 3:04:48 PM8/27/22
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me too,
Happy to help out again with construction of it's on a weekend when I'm available

Nat Lasseter

Aug 28, 2022, 2:36:27 PM8/28/22
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Shout when you need my card. XD

Thanks
--
Nat Lasseter
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/york-hack-space/CAAbdvMzPH5uCsXou6K-8_k7VvWARG2cqDtjdHJizeQQa7TrKkQ%40mail.gmail.com.

John Cooper

Aug 29, 2022, 1:03:23 AM8/29/22
to York Hack Space
Yep. The current one is quickly falling apart. Happy to help again as well.

John