Are there things that can be made on a 3D printer that could help the NHS?

Andy Fierman

Mar 28, 2020, 7:30:46 PM3/28/20
to York Hackspace
Hi,

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone had any flashes of inspiration.

There's guy on a forum I'm on who is trying to modify the design of a type of equipment he already makes to meet the government ventilator specs here:

He also has a high quality 3D printer and was asking for ideas for things he could make (and get models for) that could be useful for the NHS.

His suggestion so far has not returned any ideas but it occurred to me to kind of turn the idea around a bit and ask people in hack spaces who very often have a 3D printer plus a lot of other skills, if they (a) had an ideas and (b) might be able to get them to the right people?

Might be worth passing on to other hack spaces?

Thanks,

   Andy

Bob Lewis

Mar 28, 2020, 10:45:13 PM3/28/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
There are these. Already approved design apparently though not sure by which authority. I know that GPs and many nurses do not have these.

jamie...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2020, 2:52:23 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know about 3D printing specifically, but my advice is to contact York Hospital, a GP, or a care center and ask what they need. I’m in the US right now and I’ve been sewing masks that were specifically requested by a hospital—that’s really the only way to find out what they need.

That’s my two cents anyway.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone

John Robinson

Mar 29, 2020, 5:28:07 AM3/29/20
to All at York Hack Space, Andy Fierman

Hi,

Well, as I have not even managed to print a bud vase that holds water, I do not think I can create any sort of working air pump.

I had to issue the following recall notice:

<<

Dear Customer

After some extensive testing at our state-of-the-art Research and Development facility located close to the renowned University of York, we have discovered that our TwistiVase (tm) may not in fact be watertight.  This will obviously limit the options for deployment in a domestic situation.  You may return your product to your supplier, or stand it in a saucer.  Your choice.

Best wishes

John

Andy Fierman

Mar 29, 2020, 5:51:16 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jamie.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "York Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/york-hack-space/9F2BFD67-BFD3-4A77-A2F8-E666C33BC542%40gmail.com.

Andy Fierman

Mar 29, 2020, 5:53:29 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Are they big enough and leak slowly to repurpose as wine coolers?

:)

Andy Fierman

Mar 29, 2020, 6:56:32 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for that.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "York Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/york-hack-space/CAEyjAZHFNXXwLGLtkhCQvbrZFfP2kGk_PjJ2sUMVHbiACg2Yrg%40mail.gmail.com.

Peter Gay

Mar 29, 2020, 7:16:53 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi, All

I had a brief look a few days ago when NHS ventilators became an issue. There are open-source ventilators out there. They've not got NHS approval (yet?) so I didn't follow it up or make notes or keep the links.

It looked to me as if 3d scanning/printing might be used for making the nose/mouth pieces that attach the patient to the ventilator. They need to be a good fit and not spray viruses from the exhaust.

As others have suggested, we'd need to co-ordinate with someone: the local NHS? a manufacturer? President Trump? There's bound to be other makers out there who are working on the problem ...

Regards. Peter
PS. - Off topic - I've nearly finished my HTPC box. The aim was to have something that could live in a sitting room, that looked interesting to non-geeks, and that showed off the CPU cooler,  I think that I have the 'floating' effect that I was looking for. I've made extensive use of magnets to hold it together and to attach the feet. Thanks to everyone who has helped on the project so far. PIx attached - more if you're interested.
20200326_120702.jpg
20200326_121505.jpg

Andy Fierman

Mar 29, 2020, 11:29:25 AM3/29/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
I had a quick look around Facebook which turned up this from a lady called Angela Lam:

"... I'm directing a national UK innovation response under MedTech Foundation - we are building a network to help connect people ... to fill in this form please:

We are looking to streamline innovations/prototypes to the NHS frontline by connecting the relevant parties

==========

I think it's these people:

More searching then led me to:

So it looks genuine and if so, they should have some idea of who needs what.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "York Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/york-hack-space/9e0b22b8-0634-6245-3681-40642208eb6b%40talktalk.net.

Dave Fleming

Mar 31, 2020, 8:50:31 AM3/31/20
to York Hackspace
My name is Dave Fleming from Explore York. I met up with Bob and other York Hackspace reps couple of years back when Explore York was thinking of developing hack/maker activities and a makerspace at York central library.

Couple of the digi maker artists have set up a network of people with 3D printers to make visors for frontline staff. They've gone from 2 to 30 3D printers in last couple of days!

See info below. Were trying to spread the word and get as many 3D printers as possible involved locally and nationally. Be great to get your members involved?

I've got a few other ideas to mobilize hackers, makers, developers etc.

Please share and lets chat.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231645954700635/?ref=share

INFO

We are a group of makers in York, who are coming together to use our 3d Printing Skills to contribute to fighting Covid 19.

We are collectively printing safety visors , the Design we are using is being used effectively all over Europe. Anyone in YORK and surrounding areas, who work in shops or any other frontline services, we will print you one for free.

Laminate sheets will not be here for a couple of days after 30/03/20 . Hopefully we will already have many printed and ready by then..

if you need one please get in touch... We are in YORK. But we can help you find your local 3d printing groups...

Stay safe... Much love.. AND PLEASE SHARE.. X. YES SHARE..

DON'T JUST LIKE.. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR LIKES.. WE ARE LOOKING TO HELP! Please email interacta...@gmail.com

Jamie

Mar 31, 2020, 3:27:24 PM3/31/20
to york-ha...@googlegroups.com
Just found this as well which might interest some of you: https://opensourcemedicalsupplies.org/

Jamie

Fulbright Award Recipient 2019-20

Magna est veritas et praevalebit.

Nat Lasseter

Apr 5, 2020, 7:10:46 AM4/5/20
to York Hackspace
Hi all

Danny Moulding sent me this so I'm forwarding it on to this thread:

> NHS - I was originally going to ask whether the stuff in the hack
> space could be used for this (I just heard on radio 4 about people
> who had been "using laser cutters and 3d printers to make things for
> the NHS") - but I just saw you are already having this discussion. So
> my contribution has changed to - I have a 3D printer that I am not
> using at all so if there is something to use it for and someone who
> can use it then I am happy to lend it out. I never really got the
> hang of it - I'm not sure it got commissioned right - I think at the
> very least the feed current needs tweaking up. So it would need
> someone who knew how to tweak. It definitely does "work" - I have
> printed shopping trolley tokens and framework cats with it. But it is
> hit and miss. So not an entirely enticing offer, but it's there if it
> can be useful.

> I also have a working CNC3018 that I'm happy to do stuff on (I have
> got the hang of this one) if there is anything that can do done with
> that. It has the (very basic) spindle it came with - E11/3mm collet.
> I also have a "10w" laser for it, which I have powered up briefly and
> hope to get going properly soon.

If anyone is organising anything I can put you in touch with him, or committee members can get his email from the sheet.

Thanks
--
Nat