Finding in "All" appears not to include finding in "Contents"

Laine Lee

Apr 25, 2023, 5:15:03 AM4/25/23
to Yojimbo Talk
Hi,

I'm very new to Yojimbo, but I've already hit a significant snag.

I have a total of 2771 combined rtf and rtfd items in Yojimbo.

 If I search for the following string (including the quotes) in the search field with "All" selected for criteria, I get no matches. But if I limit the same search to "Contents", the string matches lots of items.

"null -"

My main question is why search results for "All" doesn't include search results for "Contents"? Are there any settings that can make these results any different?

The other thing that really bothers me is that I can't seem to get any matches for "-" or " -"  no matter what criteria I use. The same is true for "ull -", although I do get matches for "ll -" or "l -"

Is there any documentation for Yojimbo that explains why that happens? Is this a bug that might be fixed eventually?

Thanks.

Laine Lee

Laine Lee

Apr 25, 2023, 2:18:56 PM4/25/23
to Yojimbo Talk
Yojimbo is in the EagleFiler compatibility list, so one workaround is to import to EagleFiler, for which search results appear more predictable. I've also been able to mitigate this issue by using Spotlight content search on a folder of the entire exported Yojimbo library.

Patrick Woolsey

Apr 25, 2023, 3:00:56 PM4/25/23
to yojimb...@googlegroups.com
On 4/25/23 at 5:15 AM, lle...@sbcglobal.net (Laine Lee) wrote:

>If I search [my Yojimbo Library] for the following string
>(including the quotes) in the search field with "All" selected
>for criteria, I get no matches. But if I limit the same search
>to "Contents", the string matches lots of items.
>"null -"
>
>My main question is why search results for "All" doesn't
>include search results for "Contents"? Are there any settings
>that can make these results any different?

[and]

>The other thing that really bothers me is that I can't seem to
>get any matches for "-" or " -" no matter what criteria I use.
>The same is true
>for "ull -", although I do get matches for "ll -" or "l -"

The "short" answer :-) is that the OS service which Yojimbo's
Search field employs does not support literal string matching
within item content.[*]

I therefore suggest you instead treat the Search field more like
a search engine, i.e. a search will ordinarily yield a number of
items, each of whose contents you can then browse or (for notes
only) search literally[**].

Regards

Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <https://www.barebones.com/>

[* Since this group is not an official support channel, if you
have specific question(s) about Yojimbo's behavior or
capabilities, you're welcome to (and we recommend that :-) you
go right to the source: <sup...@barebones.com> ]

[**: You can perform a literal search on the contents of the
displayed note with Yojimbo's Find command (available via
Command-F or via Edit -> Find.]

Laine Lee

Apr 25, 2023, 4:20:23 PM4/25/23
to Yojimbo Talk