World Affairs Hiring! Program Officer, Action Projects- jobs@worldaffairs.org

World Affairs Council of Northern California

Mar 29, 2021, 12:12:12 PM3/29/21
to YNPN San Francisco Bay Area

World Affairs, the most significant international affairs organization on the West Coast, is best known for convening thought leaders, change makers and global citizens to share ideas, learn from each other and engage in conversations that matter through our Global Policy and Global Philanthropy forums. We also produce a weekly radio program and podcast, in partnership with KQED, which is distributed to public radio stations around the United States. We believe that solutions to the world’s most challenging problems are found when the private, philanthropic, and public sectors work together.  Our mission is to provide insight that leads to action, helping to build a purpose driven community.

The Program Officer for Action Projects work collaboratively to research, develop, plan and present programs that are action oriented and designed to cultivate a community that connects global ideas to local solutions and individual action. This includes cultivating relationships with members of the community as well as guest speakers, and building effective partnerships with other organizations. The Program Officer is also expected to contribute to the design, development and staffing of conferences or other special events as a member of the World Affairs team.

Reports to:  Senior Vice President for Programs

Responsibilities include:

·       Conduct research to identify issues and topics

·       Identify and recruit speakers

·       Prepare briefing materials for program moderators, participants and other principals

·       Find creative and innovative ways to engage the community virtually and in-person

·       Coordinate staffing needs and scheduling for specific programs

·       Work with volunteer groups in the Bay Area to develop and implement some

programs

·       Identify like-minded organizations, nationally and in the Bay Area, for possible partnerships or shared programs

·       Oversee audio recording, sound and/or livestreaming for events

·       Prepare follow-up correspondence and program evaluations

·       Monitor program expenses; prepare payment requests and reimbursements in coordination with finance staff

·       Prepare materials for event promotion in coordination with marketing staff

·       Update program descriptions for print and website

Experience and Competencies:

·       Commitment to the mission of World Affairs

·       Knowledge of and deep interest in global affairs and national security

·       Degree in international relations or other relevant field

·       Experience in events and programs, and enthusiasm for community engagement

·       Excellent organizational and planning skills

·       Ability to perform with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail

·       Proven problem-solving skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks

·       Excellent written and verbal communications skills

·       Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Salesforce

·       Self-starter with interest in developing management skills

·       Flexibility in working early evening hours and occasional weekends

·       Foreign language skill a plus

We recognize that no one person will be equally strong in every area and that some candidates will bring other strengths or experiences that we haven’t described here. If you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.

Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary plus comprehensive and generous benefits package.

Location: The offices are located in downtown San Francisco, near Union Square, at the World Affairs Center, a building owned and operated by World Affairs. Staff is currently working from home until offices can reopen safely.

Application Process: Please send your resume and a cover letter as an attachment to jo...@worldaffairs.org. Please include your name and “Program Officer, Action Projects” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.

The World Affairs Council of Northern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity. We encourage applications from individuals who contribute to the organization’s diversity. We define diversity as the inclusion of individuals of varying gender, religion, race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background. We are committed to bringing new voices to the international stage and giving voice to underrepresented communities. World Affairs will do its part to present diverse perspectives, and this starts in the workplace.