The Development team serves as the revenue engine for organizing, maintaining and growing the pipeline of mentors, donors, and corporate and institutional partners who invest in Students Rising Above. SRA’s development strategy takes an asset-based approach, focusing on the existing strengths, resources and assets of the communities we serve—rather than its needs, deficits, or challenges — incorporating them into the impact of our work and solutions for systemic issues. The Development Officer, reporting to the Director of Development, will primarily work as a field fundraiser, sustaining and increasing individual donor support for Students Rising Above.
The Development Officer’s main focus during the first twelve months will be to build relationships with SRA’s annual donors, whose yearly contributions range from $500 - $5,000. As such, the Development Officer will be expected to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at these levels, leveraging engagement opportunities - such as a fall stewardship event and spring fundraising Gala - to increase engagement and growth of SRA’s individual donor community.
This exciting position is ideal for a development professional eager to manage their own portfolio of high-capacity annual donors and grow into the role of managing major gifts in the future.
NOTE: SRA is currently working 100% remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe for us to meet in person at which point we will meet in a San Francisco office 2 days a week. This is not a fully remote position.
- Manage portfolio of individual donors (approximately 100-150 households) at the $500 - $5,000 level, maintaining a high level of field and phone activity each week.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and the CEO to create and execute an annual plan to effectively steward, renew, and upgrade high-capacity, high-potential annual donors in their portfolio.
- Work with current donors and volunteers to identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit a population of prospective donors to SRA who have the means and interest to make charitable gifts at this level annually.
- Become an expert representative on SRA’s various programs, partnerships, activities and impact, with the ability to tailor communications with donors according to their interest and connection to the organization.
Development and Donor Services
- Provide regular review and oversight of SRA’s gifts processing - internal data management in Salesforce and external gift acknowledgement documents - managed by SRA’s part-time Development Associate
- Utilize tools in Salesforce to manage the tracking, organizing, and reporting of the Development Team’s Key Performance Indicators
- Collaborate with SRA’s part-time Development Associate to maintain and segment communication lists for: mass and targeted emails; direct mail pieces; event invitations and personalized donor outreach
Donor Services and Development Events
- Manage logistics for donor stewardship services throughout the year
- Support all development event strategy and logistics
- Collaborate with the part-time Development Associate to manage invitation list and RSVPs for donor events; donor communications about event details; updates to team about RSVP progress
- Support with the execution of Students Rising Above Annual Fundraising Gala:
- Manage registration and event check-in of the SRA Annual Gala; lead ‘Registration’ volunteers
- Collaborate with Accounting + Finance team for SRA Annual Gala in: tracking in-kind gift donations for live & silent auction and raffle (securing donations are managed by others); tracking day-of donations and auction purchases; supporting post-event reconciliation of revenue generation; and processing acknowledgment letters for SRA Annual Gala.
- Work with part-time Development Associate and Accounting team to process Gala event donations, credit card information and charges and donor acknowledgement letters
- Create and monitor the website for the SRA Annual Gala (March 23, 2022)
- Manage and track ticket sales and RSVPs (guests of tables, comp tickets) for SRA Annual Gala, including Table Assignments, guest bid numbers, etc.
- Work cooperatively and strategically with colleagues including the development team (2 part-time; 2 full-time) as well as the Marketing and Communications,Finance,Career Development, Volunteer Management, and College Success teams.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Demonstrated understanding of underserved and/or low-income communities
- Genuine interest in supporting underserved and/or low-income communities
- 3 years’ experience working in nonprofit development
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Experience daily use of Salesforce (or similar CRM) as well as organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision along with a willingness to ask questions to clarify assignments and accept supervisor’s guidance; enjoy working remotely
- Exceptional verbal and written skills, as well as interpersonal skills to support the ability to work with internal and external constituents in an effective and professional manner
- Must be goal oriented, well-organized and exhibit self-motivation, with initiative and the ability to overcome obstacles in achieving assigned goals
- Use of good judgment and ability to treat confidential information with discretion
- Commitment to a personal and professional exploration of power and privilege, including a willingness to self-reflect and experience discomfort in difficult and transformative conversations. Previous progress along this journey required.
- Willingness to be supportive and flexible
- Available to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings as needed
- Access to reliable car
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Prior experience supporting the planning and execution of donor events