Supportive Services Counselor with At The Crossroads

Tara H with At The Crossroads

Oct 29, 2021, 5:14:39 PM10/29/21
to YNPN San Francisco Bay Area

POSITION

Supportive Services Counselor

Reports To: Program Supervisor

Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours/week, including outreach up to four nights a week (M, T, Th & F) in the Downtown/Tenderloin neighborhood of San Francisco. On evenings when outreach occurs, Counselors can work as late as midnight. Counselors will be required to hold office hours 2-3 times per week, from 2:30-5:30pm, and attend certain required weekly meetings.

Compensation: $45,800-61,600, depending on experience. Comprehensive employee benefits include 99% of employee medical, dental, vision coverage paid by employer, full life and long term disability coverage paid by employer, commuter benefits, wellness account & generous paid time off including vacation, sick, and holidays.

Application Deadline: rolling basis

MISSION

At The Crossroads reaches out to youth and young adults experiencing homelessness and housing instability at their point of need, and works with them to build healthy and fulfilling lives. Learn more about ATC's mission at: www.atthecrossroads.org.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Outreach

Counselors walk the Downtown/Tenderloin neighborhood as a team of two or three staff, distributing basic needs supplies, food, and resources, while developing counseling relationships at a pace determined by the young people we aim to serve.

Counseling

At The Crossroads practices a harm-reduction philosophy in our work with clients. Our counselors support clients in generating their own goals and solutions, rather than giving advice or using their own lives to instruct others. Ongoing supervision, peer support, and mentorship are key to supporting our counseling team and the work of At The Crossroads.

Counselors meet with established clients long term, well into adulthood. These meetings range from simple conversations and accessing basic needs supplies to more complex counseling, creating action plans and providing in-depth personalized referrals. Meetings with clients generally take place on the streets, in public places, at our office, within the San Francisco County jail, and local hospitals. Counselors may also provide support to clients through the Rising Up Initiative and/or accompany clients to appointments and intakes with other community based organizations.

Please note that the safety of our clients, staff, and community are of utmost importance to our organization. At The Crossroads is considered an Essential Business and remains open and in compliance with the current City and County of San Francisco Department of Public Health Order of the Health Officer. We have made modifications to our service approach in order to remain as accessible as possible to our clients, while following Department of Public Health requirements, recommendations and routine COVID-19 specific cleaning protocols and precautions. Staff is provided with personal protective equipment, which must be worn while performing job duties

QUALIFICATIONS

At The Crossroads has a very specific philosophy that guides our work, and having organizational alignment around our philosophy is imperative. Please read this section carefully.

Required:

  • Comfort and demonstrated ability to work with youth from diverse ethnic, racial, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds
  • Willing to work at night, and be generally flexible with your time
  • Basic proficiency with using Excel, Word, and Google platforms
  • Great listening skills, and the ability to think critically and sensitively
  • Have strong sense of one's personal strengths and challenges
  • High standards of professionalism
  • Ability to work effectively and efficiently in an often busy, sometimes chaotic environment
  • Applicants must be 21 or older
  • Physical ability to lift and carry a backpack up to 40 lbs.
  • Travel within the 9 Bay Area counties for client meetings

Preferred:

  • Two years relevant professional and/or personal experience with street outreach
  • Experience working with incarcerated populations
  • Direct service experience
  • Ability to pass a background check in order to obtain San Francisco County jail clearance
  • If in recovery, two continuous years of recovery are suggested
  • If you have had lived experience within ATC's population, at least two continuous years of job and housing stability strongly encouraged
  • Fluency or ability to converse in multiple languages an asset

At The Crossroads is intent on building a team that represents the community we serve. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. We are seeking candidates with lived experiences and backgrounds who would add to the diversity of our team.

We are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records. At The Crossroads is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

For more information, or to apply now, please visit the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.

Click Here to Apply or use the link below
https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/atthecrossroadsorg/jobs/2010736-500814