Job Announcement: Assistant General Manager at Farming Hope

sherrysuisman

Jul 20, 2021, 10:30:24 PM7/20/21
to YNPN San Francisco Bay Area
Farming Hope is hiring an Assistant General Manger to help run RefettorioSF, a home for job training and community meals. If you know someone skilled at volunteer management with a background in foodservice and/or events who might be interested in this role, please pass along this opportunity. Job announcement below, attached and on the  Farming Hope website.

Thank you!
Sherry Suisman (for Farming Hope)

~~~~~
Assistant General Manager at Farming Hope

Full-time salaried role

100% employer funded health and dental benefits

Location

San Francisco, CA

Reports to

Director of Operations/General Manager

Compensation

$50,000-$60,000 depending on experience, with full health and dental benefits after 90 days of employment

Application Deadline

August 27, 2021

Organization Description

Farming Hope is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit farm-to-table culinary job training program that fosters community leaders in the food system. We offer transitional employment and on-the-job training in gardening and cooking through our social enterprise restaurant at Manny’s in San Francisco’s Mission District; our community food hub, Refettorio San Francisco, in the Civic Center; and our urban training garden in the Western Addition neighborhood. Our Apprentices overcome major barriers to employment, primarily experiencing homelessness or being formerly incarcerated. We are a highly collaborative, community-based organization, notably working with Food For Soul and their international network for Refettorio SF.

Working at Farming Hope feels like being part of a team dedicated to fighting our region’s devastating crises of homelessness, hunger, and lack of community. Growing and serving food allows our Apprentices to give back to their city. We’re all hungry to give back and belong. Learn more about our Apprentices and organization at farminghope.org.

Job Description

The Assistant General Manager is responsible for co-leading the day-to-day planning, logistics, and ongoing operations of Refettorio San Francisco, our community food hub where staff and students cook nourishing meals for food-insecure neighbors. We currently deliver meals to partner sites and will launch in-house dinners for unhoused families in the fall. The Assistant General Manager will help co-lead this program launch. This is a role with a high expectation of co-ownership and impact: the person in this position will ensure that operations run smoothly; manage a new team of volunteers; and help coordinate monthly guest chefs from San Francisco’s best restaurants to cook for our guests.

If you want to be there for your neighbor and have fun coordinating dinners and events, please apply. Our ideal candidate is passionate about providing the highest quality customer service, has experience setting and enforcing standards for volunteer or service teams, and shares our ambition to give guests the best food and service experience possible. Farming Hope believes in empowering leaders from all backgrounds in order to move toward a more just society, and our ideal candidate will bring similar values to our team.

Some flexibility in scheduling will be necessary as we build our programming around the needs of the community we’re serving. Evenings and some weekend availability is required. As a small startup nonprofit, we offer long-term opportunities to grow with our organization into more senior leadership positions.

Responsibilities

Operations

●      Execute vision of Operations Director for Refettorio San Francisco

●      Oversee day-to-day operations on site

●      Coordinate on-site and delivered meal services

  • Emphasis on building maintenance and front of house (kitchen and food prep primarily managed by kitchen staff)
  • Backup meal delivery driver, as needed

●      Coordinate food recovery pickup, partnerships, data tracking

●      Track inventory data

●      Ensure health and safety standards are exceeded every day

●      Serve as primary building maintenance contact for location

●      Manage kitchen and culinary permits, licenses, health inspection, code and posters

Events

●     Execute events (approximately 2 - 3 events per week), including family dinners, event rentals, and guest chef dinners

●     Coordinate scheduling of kitchen staff and volunteer support for event

●     Manage guest referral system

Communications

●      Manage email account for Refettorio San Francisco

●      Act as social media manager for Refettorio San Francisco

●      Serve as primary contact for volunteers, including scheduling shifts, training, and data tracking

●      Assist Operations Director with Guest Chef coordination

Candidate Qualifications

●      Self-starter: To grow from small nonprofit to a scalable social enterprise, the organization requires a highly motivated and ambitious individual who can own operations and logistics in order for all members of the team to play their vital roles.

●      Multi-tasker: This position requires wearing several hats each week: facilities supervisor, volunteer coordinator, details tracker. Are you experienced advancing multiple projects toward a collective mission?

●      Experience, not just passion: Do you bring knowledge of foodservice, event management, or personnel management? We need a candidate able to teach us, and take the lead on their own learning advancement. Candidate must have

  • 3+ years experience in relevant fields
  • Strong spoken and written communication skills

●      Highly organized: Are you able to create and manage systems that new employees can easily learn? As we scale, we need a leader who can create a sustainable, internal operating structure and onboard Apprentices and new colleagues.

●      Commitment to transformation: We want to empower those experiencing poverty to be recognized as community leaders; we want our food system to be more sustainable for all; we want our staff to think differently about charity and justice. Sound like something you want to help build?

Additional preferred qualifications:

●      Spanish fluency

●      Lived experience of barriers to employment

●      Foodservice or agricultural experience

To apply

Send your cover letter and resume in PDF files to hir...@farminghope.org.

Please answer these questions in your cover letter:

  1. What work or personal experience do you bring that would most catalyze Farming Hope’s work at Refettorio SF? Use numbers, stories, and be specific.
  2. Share about a work project you maintained or managed after it was already underway. What did you learn?

 Farming Hope is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition as defined under State law, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and/or local laws and ordinances.

At Farming Hope we have a clear vision to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people are able to learn, teach, and grow. Diversity is more than a commitment at Farming Hope—it is necessary to advance equity and inclusion for the Apprentices in our training program and our diners in the community.

Assistant General Manager Job Announcement .pdf