Support a non-police response to homelessness

Jennifer Waggoner

Sep 21, 2021, 4:15:57 PM9/21/21
to YNPN San Francisco Bay Area
HI, all. I've posted about a non-police response to homelessness, CART (Compassionate Alternative Response Team) before. If your org, business, group, or individual would like to endorse you're be very welcome because though it was put in the SF budget, it wasn't fully funded, a contract hasn't been awarded, and implementation is an ongoing concern. We need you!

Two specific requests in this email:

1) Save the Date September 30 from 11-noon
The organizing groups behind CART sent a letter to Mayor Breed asking her to place the program in Behavioral Health, not Emergency Management. The Mayor has not responded. There will be people most impacted & journalists in a Zoom, which will be livestreamed on Facebook. I'll share the FB link & promotional materials as soon as it is available. The action is designed to put more pressure on the Mayor.

2) Twitter action
If you use Twitter, please RT, QT, like, comment, using these two hastags and tagging the Mayor and your Supervisor:
Again - if you aren't involved with CART, but want to learn more, please let me know!

With gratitude,

-JDub

Jennifer “JDub” Waggoner (she/her or they/them)
LWV San Francisco member interested in policing practices
jdu...@gmail.com
Skype jwaggo or +1-415-644-5094

Jennifer Waggoner

Sep 23, 2021, 2:38:51 PM9/23/21
to YNPN San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks to everyone in the YNPN community who has replied directly to me about supporting this campaign! This has been a multi-year, grassroots effort and it will make HUGE improvements in how the most vulnerable, traumatized San Franciscans are treated by our community in the name of "public safety."
  1. First: a png flyer / image to recruit people to come to the press advisory via Facebook Live (to watch journalists in a Zoom group with speakers).
  2. Second: the Facebook event link to rsvp and find the livestream September 30th from 11-noon: https://fb.me/e/11lfXhOEE
  3. Third: a couple of attachments in case they are helpful to you: the original letter to Mayor Breed, the Press Advisory (note it does not have the link for press to join the Zoom -- they'd need to request that) and then two images to stress that CART is unique and what CART needs right now. #ProtectCartNow #CARTisCommunityHealth
THANK YOU for joining this event and sharing it in your networks. Ultimately, the main target of this campaign is the Mayor, but of course we want Supervisors, City Departments, and others to push the Mayor to make this commitment. If you and your organization have not yet officially endorsed CART, please do! I'm eager to arrange a presentation or get your questions answered.

With gratitude,

-JDub
CART is unique.png
CART Funding and Placement.png
CART 9:30 Press Conference Flyer.png
2021-09-03 CART Mayor Breed Placement.pdf
2021-09-23 CART Press Advisory.pdf