Public Advocates Hiring 1st Director of Higher Education

Vanessa Ramirez

Dec 2, 2020, 5:26:33 PM12/2/20
to ynpn...@googlegroups.com
Hi YNPNers,
Public Advocates is hiring its First Director of Higher Education. Please share with your networks and send referrals my way. I'm also happy to answer any questions from interested parties - please email vram...@publicadvocates.org.

Vanessa

****
image.png

DIRECTOR OF HIGHER EDUCATION

Help lead Public Advocates’ Higher Education Team to build opportunity and economic mobility for low-income communities and communities of color throughout California by ensuring that the young people in these communities have equal access to high quality post-secondary education that prepares them for career and civic participation!

Location-flexible: Because of the amount of legislative advocacy expected of this role and the fact that our Higher Education Team is based in Sacramento, our preference is that this position be based within regular commuting distance of Sacramento.

For nearly 50 years, Public Advocates Inc. has been at the forefront of social justice movements in California as a bold and highly regarded civil rights law firm and advocacy organization that challenges the systemic causes of poverty and racial discrimination.  We pride ourselves on skillfully deploying a diverse set of legal and policy tools to achieve tangible legal victories and help low-income communities of color build their power to participate effectively in public decision-making.  We are excited to announce a new position on our Education Equity Team for an experienced Director of Higher Education.

Our Education Equity Team is recognized statewide for effective state and local advocacy and our ability to support our grassroots partners’ power-building efforts.  Our recent expansion into Higher Education is the natural evolution of Public Advocates’ commitment to opening opportunity for young people as they move into adulthood and build their lives.  Our Higher Education work is focused on improving opportunity and outcomes for low-income students, first generation students and students of color, particularly those attending community colleges.

Responsibilities

The Director of Higher Education is responsible for leading the Higher Education program team and advancing our efforts to advocate in partnership with low-income students and students of color for equitable access to and success in California’s public colleges and universities.  In collaboration with and under the supervision of the Managing Attorney of the Education Equity Team, the Director will build and strengthen Public Advocates’ capacity to undertake a leading role in California’s higher education policy advocacy ecosystem by: leading the development of the team’s advocacy priorities and policy campaigns, overseeing the team’s collaborations with students, advocacy groups and policymakers, and raising funds to support the team.  The key responsibility areas include:

  • Policy, Legislative & Administrative Strategy & Advocacy: Define the trajectory and arc of advocacy of the Higher Education Team’s projects and work closely with Education Equity Team members to ensure that the Higher Education policy positions are consistent with the Education Equity Team’s overall advocacy vision and strategy for racially just public education system; oversee and lead (as appropriate) the planning, strategizing and execution of policy and enforcement campaigns; monitor the higher education policy landscape for opportunities to advance the Higher Education Team’s goals and priorities
  • Resource Development: Cultivate strong relationships with foundation program officers and other funders; identify, develop and pursue new and renewal funding opportunities so as to sustain the Higher Education program; work with grants manager to draft grant proposals and reports
  • Project Leadership & Management: Lead the work to define the Higher Education Team’s multi-year strategic direction; lead the supervision, mentorship, evaluation, professional development and hiring of team members; ensure that key goals, roles and expectations are identified and clarified for all team members and collaboration partners
  • Partnership & Coalition Building: Ensure the Higher Education Team’s policy advocacy priorities are developed and pursued in authentic collaboration with our community partners so as to reflect the high priority needs of low-income communities and communities of color; build and strengthen relationships across multiple community partners, campaigns and coalitions
  • Communications & External Relations: Shape affirmative and responsive higher education policy communications; partner with communications staff to develop and execute outreach, engagement and other media strategies, including messaging, community education and representing PA and coalitions to the press and public; promote policy positions by serving on key committees and commissions as needed; share best practices and lessons learned by representing PA at relevant conferences, participating on panels and leading trainings
  • Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Proactively implement the organization’s diversity, equity & inclusion vision, goals and needs within the team, including recruitment, development and success of diverse staff

Qualifications

  • Minimum of 8-10 years of policy advocacy or legislative experience and expertise, at the federal, state or local level
  • Deep knowledge and understanding of policy issues in higher education (e.g., accessibility, affordability, funding, achievement barriers, student success, etc.)
  • Strong written and oral communication skills and, specifically, the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively about policy issues to various audiences
  • Motivation and experience working with communities of color and/or low-income communities and commitment to community power building
  • Strong political instincts and judgment
  • Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities and deadlines
  • Experience supervising the performance and professional development of other staff
  • Preference for two or more of the following:
    • Experience navigating and/or existing relationships in the higher education field (e.g., trustees/chancellors/regents of the higher education institutions in California, higher education legislative committees, research/advocacy groups, funders, etc.)
    • Experience working on collaborative advocacy efforts and/or coordinating community coalitions and/or policy coalitions
    • Experience with California higher education policy
    • Success in fundraising from foundation donors
    • Ability to identify legal and/or policy issues ripe for enforcement by team
    • J.D., Masters of Public Policy or other graduate degree

Qualities expected of all Public Advocates staff include integrity, high professional standards, commitment to progressive social change and working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients and community partners.  This includes active participation in promoting healthy workplace culture through our organizational diversity and inclusion initiative – an ongoing and intensive process of communication, trust-building and learning about our individual and organizational areas for growth.  We strive to build a culture of cooperation and mutual support and value flexibility, resilience, optimism, curiosity and a sense of humor.

Compensation & Work Setting

The Director of Higher Education would be based out of our downtown Sacramento office,* as this position would include in-person advocacy to the Legislature as well as administrative agencies.  Our Sacramento office is located just blocks from the Capitol, convenient to public transportation (we offer access to tax-advantaged commuter benefits).  Some travel (estimated 10-20% of the time) would be likely within California, including to our main San Francisco Bay Area office as well as to locations around the state where community colleges and public higher education institutions are located.

Competitive salary range begins at $105,000 but actual salary will be based on relevant experience and internal equity.  Benefits include full health and dental insurance for employee and eligible family members; life and long-term disability insurance; generous vacation; 403(b) retirement plan; and paid sabbatical after 7 years.

*At the time of this posting all our staff are working from home through March 31, 2021.  We anticipate a return to the office (and travel) when it is safe to do so.  In the case of an out-of-state or out-of-area hire, we expect the Director of Higher Education to relocate to within commuting distance of Sacramento.

Application Instructions

Applications welcome immediately; position open until filled.  To be considered, applications must include: 1) a cover letter that a) explains your specific interest in this role and in our advocacy model, b) addresses how your identity and background have prepared you to be an effective advocate for social justice and c) describes a project or challenge you have managed that will help us understand your qualifications; and 2) a resume.  Submit your application (and/or questions) by email to HiEdDi...@publicadvocates.org.

Public Advocates seeks to fill this position with someone who shares our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.  We encourage all interested individuals to apply — especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category.  Read our Diversity Vision Statement here.

--
Vanessa Ramirez, MPP