[JOB] Americorps VISTA at Elevate

Catherine Bradshaw

Sep 30, 2021, 4:47:26 PM9/30/21
Hello Friends!

Elevate is seeking 3 new Americorps VISTAs to join our tiny team.  We're a fully remote office, though if you're interested in the programs role, you'll need to be willing to relocate near enough to do on-site outreach in the greater San Jose metro area.  (Americorps offers a relocation stipend.)  While the pay isn't great, Americorps is a fantastic stepping stone to a nonprofit career and the Segal award is a wonderful bit of financial aid to sock away for grad school.

IG AmeriCorps Ad.jpg

Applicants should send us their resume and cover letter by October 24th.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! We're friendly folk and all educators at heart so we LOVE questions. You can email me directly or reach us via our shared inbox jo...@elevatetutoring.org

Best wishes,
Catherine

______________________________

Hiring 3 AmeriCorps VISTAs!

Elevate Tutoring is looking for 3 AmeriCorps VISTAs to serve in the areas of *Partnership Development VISTA, **Communications/Fund Development VISTA, and ***Database/Evaluations VISTA. Each of these roles require an organized, energetic self-starter to serve as a catalyst for rapid expansion and sustainable development within our small but mighty nonprofit organization!

Who We Are:

Elevate Tutoring advances social justice by bridging economic and achievement gaps on the path to-and-through college. We provide training, work experience, and scholarships to socioeconomically-disadvantaged first-generation college students - our Tutor Fellows - who, in turn, provide high-quality STEM tutoring, mentorship, and growth mindset coaching to their younger peers in middle and high school.

It is the goal of Elevate to help young, low-income college students to pay it forward--a commitment that is echoed by all of the tutors we interview and accept into our fellowship program. To be able to give back to communities that they feel deeply connected to and be present in classrooms where the young people can see themselves represented in the faces of the successful tutors who come to teach are some of the founding pillars of the organization.

What We Do:

San Jose, where Elevate operates, is the 10th largest city in the United States and 3rd largest in California alone (San Jose Demographics and Diversity 2017). Home to corporate giants like Google, Apple, and Facebook, Silicon Valley is a mecca for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM); yet, statistics by the United States Census Bureau reveal stark differences in educational attainment by race and economic status. While schools in our region are valiantly attempting to close the gap, outcomes are significantly different for low-income families compared to affluent families.

Underserved students are especially under-prepared in math, making it difficult for them to be successful in higher education. When considering the state of Math and Science, critical components of the STEM system, the numbers are even more dire. While many public schools and colleges have tutoring, it is not available for all courses, has limited hours, and is not always one-on-one. Elevate addresses these shortcomings by providing deeply relatable tutors at the places and times best suited to the tutees.

Who We Are Looking For (The General Job Description):

This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking for a collaborative but autonomous work culture. We are an amazing team, and our genuine affection for one another is one of key components of what makes Elevate Tutoring so special! If you are looking to join an organization that is fun, high-energy, and flexible, then we can’t wait to meet you! The ideal candidate for this position will be dependable, organized, and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Learn more about our organization at www.elevatetutoring.org

Minimum Requirements:

  • Bachelor’s degree OR 3-4 years of direct college access/success experience, personal experience with transfer pathways and first-generation college students a plus.

  • Ability to quickly build rapport with college students of diverse backgrounds (race, gender, income, immigration, and economics).

  • Ability to maintain focus on long-term projects while also transitioning to urgent projects when the need arises.

  • Familiarity and comfort with Google Suite and Drive (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.)

  • Availability to maintain consistent office hours during business hours (approx. 75% of total hours) with flexibility to support occasional evening and weekend meetings or events.

  • Comfortable working remotely, with access to a suitable personal home work space. Elevate does not maintain a physical office space, but this role may require occasional site visits, meetings, and events within the San Jose metro area. Must have availability and access to reliable transportation.

  • Spanish fluency is a plus (but not required)!

How to Apply for Any of the 3 Available Positions:

  • Applicants will need to create an account on my.americorps.gov, if they don’t already have one: (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do).

  • Once you have registered, applicants will need to apply directly through the job listing on AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/

  • In addition to the application on the Americorps website, please email a cover letter and resume to Director of Programs and Operations, Catherine Bradshaw, at jo...@elevatetutoring.org.

    • Please read examples of the project tasks each role might take on below, with additional notes on useful skills. Include in your cover letter which VISTA role(s) are of interest to you and address how your skills might serve you in those roles. (A bulleted list is fine!)

  • Applications Due by: October 24th, 2021

  • Projected Start Date: December 9th 2021

If you have any questions regarding your application, please email us at jo...@elevatetutoring.org.

*Position #1: Partnerships/Program Development VISTA

The Partnerships VISTA will strengthen existing partner sites, develop a strategy for selecting and onboarding new partner sites, and assist in creating new community networks. This will deepen Elevate’s impact by offering services where they are most needed, improve efficacy of service delivery at existing partner sites, and increase efficiency of service delivery to Tutor Fellows.

Proposed Project Activities:

- Work with existing school partners to develop strategic deployment plans for tutoring.

- Research and identify new prospective school partners based on strategic goals of balancing greatest need with quality of Tutor Fellow experience.

- Perform a needs analysis and create a strategic plan for adding partner sites.

- Develop a plan for deepening Community College partnerships and identify key stakeholders at each campus.

- Observe and suggest improvements on relationships with referral partners (organizations that refer Tutor Fellows).

- Research and facilitate new connections with university and college staff at the schools Elevate Tutor Fellows attend (e.g. SJSU, SCU) to streamline case management and college success for Fellows.

- Perform needs analysis and strategic plan for implementing geographic expansion.

- Work with Database/Evaluations VISTA to integrate data requests and evaluation needs into the day-to-day partnership management plan.

- Work with Communications VISTA to ensure community network events have a clear, consistent communication plan that supports program success and participant retention.

Position Specific Skills (preferred but not required):

  • Ability to engage diverse stakeholders in meaningful conversation

  • Some understanding of school organization structure and dynamics (most likely through school site work experience)

  • Experience running group discussions with both homogeneous and varied stakeholders

  • Comfortable reading and understanding research articles relating to education, social sciences, and public policy

  • Some experience using data sets to drive decision making, ie. using a metrics or requirements structure to evaluate and rank options a significant advantage

**Position #2: Communications/Fund Development VISTA

A Communications/Fund Development VISTA would create a foundation of materials and protocols that can be used to communicate with families, the public, and supporters (donors, volunteers, and partners). This organizational capacity will also strengthen fund development, which would benefit from clear storytelling and organized strategy to build financial resources for growth.

Proposed Project Activities:

- Work with partner sites, families, and Tutor Fellows to build a portfolio of stories, photos, video, and other collateral for communications and fundraising.

- Edit the existing communications calendar and develop a scheduled rollout plan for various communications.

- Coordinate and implement communications strategies for email, web, multimedia, and social media platforms:

- Lead the development of the quarterly newsletter

- Develop social media campaigns and messaging

- Manage edits/changes to website, branding materials, and other collateral

- Research prospective funders and create or update materials to support funding proposals.

- Collaborate with Partnerships VISTA to create a communications strategy to support community networks of nonprofits, educators, and parents.

- Collaborate with Database/Evaluations VISTA to research and develop methods for integrating stakeholder experiences and feedback into program planning, especially families served by tutoring.

Position Specific Skills (preferred but not required):

  • Experience with engaging with scheduling platforms for social media and email marketing:

    • Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook

    • MailChimp -- or other content management systems

  • Experience in marketing to and engaging with diverse audiences and partners

  • Experience utilizing multimedia programs to develop digital and video assets

  • Experience using graphic design platforms (such as Canva and Adobe Editor a plus)!

  • Experience crafting external messaging:

    • Communicating organization’s mission, vision, and values with diverse audiences

  • Experience with donor outreach and communication

***Position #3: Database/Evaluations VISTA

A Database/Evaluations VISTA would organize and direct program evaluation. In concert with other VISTAs, staff, volunteers, and partners, this VISTA would shore up the foundation for good program management by examining the programs as they are, considering where they are intended to go, and creating methodology for Elevate to make strategic management decisions. We believe that good data not only improves service delivery to students and Tutor Fellows, but also empowers supporters to be better advocates for our community by providing impact evidence that can be leveraged to raise funds for program growth.

Proposed Project Activities:

- Work with staff and stakeholders to design evaluation metrics and tools to evaluate programs

- Review existing database tools in Salesforce & GoogleDrive and research alternative data storage tools as needed

- Manage the transfer of existing data into Salesforce and recommend next steps in database systems design

- Create survey tools, focus group procedures, and interview methodology for data collection from internal and external stakeholders

- Collaborate with other VISTAs to evaluate data needs for other teams and how to best incorporate into Salesforce

- Collaborate with the Partnerships and Communications VISTAs to review existing data for helpful stories and materials

Position Specific Skills (preferred but not required):

  • Some basic familiarity with program evaluation (theoretical or practical) as well as ability to enter data accurately, develop verification procedures, and create analysis reports.

  • Experience working with a data management platform (Salesforce preferred)

  • Experience with evaluation tools

    • Survey development

    • Focus group development & leadership

    • Conducting interviews

    • Quantitative & qualitative data analysis

Program Benefits and Compensation:

  • Annual stipend (paid biweekly)

  • Segal Education Award ($6,345) after completion of the full service year, eligible for matching grants at select universities

  • Health benefits

  • Student loan forbearance while in service

  • Relocation assistance (if applicable)

  • Child care assistance (if applicable)

  • Optional life insurance

  • One year non-competitive status for federal government positions

  • A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps members and alums

Applications Due by: October 24th, 2021

Projected Start Date: December 6th 2021

Catherine Bradshaw
Director of Programs and Operations
Office Hours: Mon to Thur 10am-3pm or by appointment