[YKUC News] Yellowknife United Church Announcements - February 4, 2024

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Feb 2, 2024, 6:19:54 PMFeb 2
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for February 4, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Church Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. in the Auditorium
February 4 - Book Club 12:15 pm, Room 215
February 11 - Annual General Financial Meeting, Auditorium
February 13 - Pancake Supper, 5:30 p.m - 8 p.m, Auditorium

Note from Stewardship: Your year end tax receipts are available on the
side table.

Book Club – Our next book is Seven by Farzana Doctor. When main
character Sharifa accompanies her husband on a marriage-saving trip to
India in 2016, she thinks that she’s going to research her
great-great-grandfather, a wealthy business leader and philanthropist.
She ends up excavating much more than she had imagined. You can buy an
audio version through the Book Cellar or one of the hard copies set
aside at the front counter. The public library also has a hard copy, and
it is available as an e-book through the library’s Overdrive collection.
We meet again on February 4 in Room 215 at 12:15. All are welcome. For
more information, contact Barb Paquin at 867-873-4314.

Red Bins: We will need volunteers on February 15 onward. There are 2
spots to fill. March is fully open If you can help for any 2 week period
during the year, please let me know. If you have kids who need community
service hours for school, this project counts. We like to fill the
schedule ahead so it’s never too late to let us know.

Mission & Service Stories: Announcements for February 4, 2024

[...]

Mission & Service Stories: Lessons of Racism Learned When Young
February is Black History (or African Heritage) Month. Officially
recognized in Canada since 1996, this is a time to honour the
contributions and struggles of people of African descent. Despite all of
our intentional modelling, teaching, and proactive actions, our children
are already developing internalized racism and inferior notions of self.

This week we are starting things off with the latest Black History Month
blog from the Rev. Franklyn James. Stay tuned for more Black History
Month blogs dropping each week in February! And—in case you missed
it—the 2024 Black History Month:
Jesus in the Village worship service:
https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=b1d73ba479&e=4358f2ddb2
and video are now available:
https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=9de4d0038c&e=4358f2ddb2
Find this worship and more under Black History Month Worship Resource:
https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=0e8e2be60f&e=4358f2ddb2

Your Mission and Service gifts support anti-racism programs and
initiatives like the ones Halliday develops as the United Church’s
Anti-Racism and Equity Lead to help all of us be in deeper, more
equitable relationships with one another.
February is Black History (or African Heritage) Month. Officially
recognized in Canada since 1996, this is a time to honour the
contributions and struggles of people of African descent.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Feb 8, 2024, 2:21:20 PMFeb 8
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for February 11, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00 AM in the Church Auditorium
February 11 - Annual General Financial Meeting, Auditorium
February 13 - Pancake Supper, 5:30 PM - 7 PM, Auditorium

Note from Stewardship: Our annual financial meeting will be held next
Sunday after church. Lunch will be provided. Copies of the agenda and
the minutes from the June 4, 2023 congregational meeting and the
financial report for 2023 and the proposed budget for 2024 will be
available. If you would like a hard copy before or after that, please
drop by the office Monday to Friday between 10AM - 2PM.

Offering:
January 31, 2024 (including PAR average) $1,119
2024 Average Weekly $1,499
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – We meet on Sunday, March 3 at 12:15 in Room 215 to discuss
Saga Boy by Antonio Michael Downing. Raised in Trinidad and northern
Ontario, Downing tries to flee his messy family life by morphing into a
series of extravagant musical personalities. Saga Boy is a
heart-wrenching but uplifting story of a lonely immigrant boy who
overcomes adversity and abandonment to reclaim his Black identity and
embrace a rich heritage. All are welcome at Book Club;For more
information, contact Barb Paquin at 867-873-4314.

Red Bins:Thanks to all who have helped with the bins in 2023 and so far
in 2024: Matt, Joanna, Anya and Jamie, Karen & Peter, Gordon & Karen,
Sean & Janice! We are now filling the schedule on February 16-29 to
March onward. If you are able to help out in February, or any other time
this year the schedule is wide open. I also have a new volunteer who
doesn’t have a vehicle, so if you would like to volunteer but just need
an extra set of hands, please let me know! If you have kids who need
community service hours for school, this project counts. please let
Terrilyn know.

Mission & Service Stories: Small Gifts with BIG Impact
Our Mission and Service partner: The Middle East Council of
Churches(MECC), has been providing ongoing help to people displaced from
the Earthquake in Turkey. Living in the aftermath of the earthquakes in
Türkiye and Syria has been an eye opener, espescially in such "A Cash
Assistance" has been a life-changing program for families, mostly
affecting those who do not have a steady or fixed income. Even the
smallest amount can provide a family with a significant boost. Whether
it is making house or rent payments, covering the cost of a medication,
or being able to afford groceries, Mission and Service partners are
there to provide support.

Your gifts to Mission and Service extend a loving hand of peace and
warmth to those in need as they live through the worst crisis of their
lives. Thank you for your generosity.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Feb 16, 2024, 3:22:27 PMFeb 16
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for February 18, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00 AM in the Church Auditorium

Welcome to Dr. Reverand Martha Ter Kuile! "Great to be here!"
Dear friends at Yellowknife United,Thank you for inviting me to be with
you for the next five weeks! As you might have heard, I live in Toronto
and have retired recently from fifteen years as minister at Bloor Street
United Church. Before that I lived on a farm outside Ottawa for twenty
years, serving Bells Corners United and Zion United in Apple Hill
Ontario. Before that I worked for the federal government and the United
Nations in international development, with a particular interest in
agricultural research in developing countries. My late husband and I
(and gradually, our three daughters) lived in Kenya, Ecuador, Nigeria,
and Guatemala. I’m so much looking forward to getting to know people at
Yellowknife United. You may already know my brother Bruce Davidson
(Prelude Lake) and his partner Marie Adams. These five weeks are an
adventure for me.
If you’d like to chat, or get together for a visit or a coffee, please
let me know at marthat...@gmail.com, or call me at 416-450-6544. And
please consider joining others in a Lenten conversation on Wednesday
evenings. See you in church!

Refreshing the Spirit - Lenten conversations
Lent is a quiet time in the Christian year, when we are invited to pause
and ponder. If you would like to connect with others for an informal
conversation about faith, please join in for an hour on Wednesday
evenings. We’ll watch a short video from Scottish theologian Richard
Holloway to start us off, but no homework or preparation. Just bring
your own thoughts to share. On ZOOM, Wednesday Feb 21, Feb 28, March 6,
and March 13; at 7 pm.
(https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2305537702?pwd=cDYyWFVtRG55UE9MbzZncEw0ZUNYUT09)

Note: "A big thank you to everyone who came and helped out with our
Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper. It was a nice evening for folks to enjoy
being together as we head into Lent. Shalom, Sean.

Offering:
January 31, 2024 (including PAR average) $2,070
2024 Average Weekly $1,470
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – We meet on Sunday, March 3 at 12:15 in Room 215 to discuss
Saga Boy by Antonio Michael Downing. Raised in Trinidad and northern
Ontario, Downing tries to flee his messy family life by morphing into a
series of extravagant musical personalities. Saga Boy is a
heart-wrenching but uplifting story of a lonely immigrant boy who
overcomes adversity and abandonment to reclaim his Black identity and
embrace a rich heritage. All are welcome at Book Club;For more
information, contact Barb Paquin at 867-873-4314.

Red Bins: We are now filling the schedule in March onward. If you are
able to help out in February, or any other time this year the schedule
is wide open. I also have a new volunteer who doesn’t have a vehicle, so
if you would like to volunteer but just need an extra set of hands,
please let me know! If you have kids who need community service hours
for school, this project counts. please let Terrilyn know.

Mission & Service Stories: Leading Generations
Becoming a parent or guardian is a life-changing, complex experience
that doesn’t have a one-size-fits-all answer. As kids, we looked to
adults for guidance as we navigated the world with fresh eyes. We looked
to teachers for help with schoolwork, and parental figures for managing
emotions and fears. Now, as adults, we recognize that we’re still
figuring things out as we go, and there’s always an opportunity to grow
our skills and minds.
Your gifts to Mission and Service support partnerships like the London
Community Chaplaincy as they help empower parents along the parenting
journey. Thank you.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Feb 23, 2024, 2:12:45 PMFeb 23
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for February 25, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
Second Sunday in Lent Feb. 25 Sacrement of Holy Communion is this week
From the Yellowknife Ministerial - Lenten Lunches are every Wednesday
February 14-March 27 (12PM) at HOLY TRINITY CHURCH 4909-52nd ST.

Lenten conversations with Dr. Martha ter Kuile has us looking forward to
this next 5 weeks as she ministers to us from the "Hungry Heart" to the
"Heart of a Friend" - Communion service with Rev. Martha ter Kuile.
If you’d like to chat, or get together for a visit or a coffee, please
let me know at marthat...@gmail.com, or call me at 416-450-6544. And
please consider joining others in a Lenten conversation on Wednesday
evenings. See you in church!
Please reference Psalm 36 and John 15:9-15 for a further look at
conversation in Lent as we worship!

Participating in today's Worship Service:
Opening Host: Marg Henderson
Closing Host: The Congregation
Greeter: Barb Paquin
Reader: Terrilyn Hayden
Communion Servers: Dawn McInnes & Terrilyn Hayden

Offering:
February 18, 2024 (including PAR average) $2,782
2024 Average Weekly $1,357
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – We meet on Sunday, March 3 at 12:15 in Room 215 to discuss
Saga Boy by Antonio Michael Downing. Raised in Trinidad and northern
Ontario, Downing tries to flee his messy family life by morphing into a
series of extravagant musical personalities. Saga Boy is a
heart-wrenching but uplifting story of a lonely immigrant boy who
overcomes adversity and abandonment to reclaim his Black identity and
embrace a rich heritage. All are welcome at Book Club;For more
information, contact Barb Paquin at 867-873-4314.

Red Bins: We are now filling the schedule in March onward. If you are
able to help out now, or any other time this year the schedule is wide
open. I also have a new volunteer who doesn’t have a vehicle, so if you
would like to volunteer but just need an extra set of hands, please let
me know! If you have kids who need community service hours for school,
this project counts. please let Terrilyn know.

Mission & Service Stories: "Taking Kids to School"
When children can’t go to school, society suffers. And that is why
Mission and Service is in partnership with 74 organizations that work to
increase access to education across the globe. How do you make the world
a better place? You can start by taking kids to school. Around the
world, 57 million children cannot attend school. They may never learn to
read, to add or subtract, or to write. These are the skills they need to
succeed. Even more importantly, they never learn about their basic human
rights. Each partner has their own approach to education and skills
training, each supported by your gifts to Mission and Service. “Partners
say to us ‘It makes such a difference to us to know that the United
Church is with us, walking with us in prayer, supporting us, remembering
us in their lives.’”

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 1, 2024, 1:39:02 PMMar 1
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for March 3, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
From the Yellowknife Ministerial - Lenten Lunches are every Wednesday
February 14-March 27 (12PM) at HOLY TRINITY CHURCH 4909-52nd ST.

Lenten conversations with Dr. Martha ter Kuile - Lent is a quiet time in
the Christian year, when we are invited to pause and ponder. If you
would like to connect with others for an informal conversation about
faith, please join in for an hour on Wednesday evenings. We’ll watch a
short video from Scottish theologian Richard Holloway to start us off,
but no homework or preparation. Just bring your own thoughts to share.
On ZOOM; March 6, and March 13; at 7 pm.
(https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2305537702?pwd=cDYyWFVtRG55UE9MbzZncEw0ZUNYUT09)
If you’d like to chat, or get together for a visit or a coffee, please
let me know at marthat...@gmail.com, or call me at 416-450-6544. And
please consider joining others in a Lenten conversation on Wednesday
evenings. See you in church!

Participating in today's Worship Service:
Opening Host: Janette Hall
Closing Host: The Congregation
Greeter: Cynthia
Reader: Dawn

Offering:
February 25, 2024 (including PAR average) $1,952
2024 Average Weekly $1,558
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – We meet today on Sunday, March 3 at 2:15p.m in Room #215 to
discuss Saga Boy by Antonio Michael Downing. Raised in Trinidad and
northern Ontario, Downing tries to flee his messy family life by
morphing into a series of extravagant musical personalities. Saga Boy is
a heart-wrenching but uplifting story of a lonely immigrant boy who
overcomes adversity and abandonment to reclaim his Black identity and
embrace a rich heritage. All are welcome at Book Club; For more
information, contact Barb Paquin at 867-873-4314.

Red Bins: We are now filling the schedule in March onward. If you are
able to help out now, or any other time this year the schedule is wide
open. I also have a new volunteer who doesn’t have a vehicle, so if you
would like to volunteer but just need an extra set of hands, please let
Terrilyn know! If you have kids who need community service hours for
school, this project counts.

Mission & Service Stories:
Peace in and for Ukraine: An Ecumenical Letter
Map of Ukraine:
<https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=a3d3b81e42&e=4358f2ddb2>
February 24th marks two years since Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Nearly
30,000 lives have been lost and millions displaced. As this sombre
anniversary approaches, Canadian Christian leaders have joined voices,
urging support for refugees and for peace. Their message? Pray, advocate
for diplomacy, aid refugees, remember the invasion's impact, and hope
for reconciliation. Your gifts of mission and service go a long way.
Donate:
<https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=0fa661b951&e=4358f2ddb2>
to Mission and Service and stand with Ukraine and those suffering
through this ongoing crisis. Read the full news story and ecumenical
letter:
<https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=c19233f2a2&e=4358f2ddb2>.

ykun...@ssimicro.com

Mar 1, 2024, 6:03:58 PMMar 1
to Ykuc News
Please note the book club meets this Sunday at 12:15 p.m. in room 215.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 8, 2024, 8:33:31 PMMar 8
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for March 10, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium

Lenten conversations with Dr. Martha ter Kuile - From the Yellowknife
Ministerial - Lenten Lunches are every Wednesday February 14-March 27
(12PM) at HOLY TRINITY CHURCH 4909-52nd ST. Lent is a quiet time in the
Christian year, when we are invited to pause and ponder. If you would
like to connect with others for an informal conversation about faith,
please join in for an hour on Wednesday evenings. We’ll watch a short
video from Scottish theologian Richard Holloway to start us off, but no
homework or preparation. Just bring your own thoughts to share. On ZOOM;
March 6, and March 13; at 7 pm.
(https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2305537702?pwd=cDYyWFVtRG55UE9MbzZncEw0ZUNYUT09)
If you’d like to chat, or get together for a visit or a coffee, please
let me know at marthat...@gmail.com, or call me at 416-450-6544. And
please consider joining others in a Lenten conversation on Wednesday
evenings. See you in church!

Offering:
March 3, 2024 (including PAR average) $1,170
2024 Average Weekly $1,724
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – Book Club - We meet on Sunday, April 7 at 12:15 in Room 215
to discuss The Story of Us by Catherine Hernandez. Filipino Care Worker
Mary Grace Concepcion seeks employment as a Personal Support Worker and
begins caring for Liz, an elderly patient suffering from Alzheimer’s
disease. While Mary Grace’s time with her charge challenges her
conservative beliefs, she soon becomes Liz’s biggest ally, and a
friendship grows between them. The Story of Us is a novel about
sisterhood, about blood and chosen family, and about how belonging can
be found where we least expect it. All are welcome at Book Club; for
more information, contact Barb Paquin at 873-4314.

Red Bins: We are now filling the schedule in March onward. If you are
able to help out now, or any other time this year the schedule is wide
open. I also have a new volunteer who doesn’t have a vehicle, so if you
would like to volunteer but just need an extra set of hands, please let
Terrilyn know! If you have kids who need community service hours for
school, this project counts.

Action: Major concerns about Canada’s military sales to Israel
United Church people are asked to keep writing our members of Parliament
using this action tool or our own letters, as concern grows that
Canada’s military exports to Israel may risk complicity in genocide. In
their December 2023 report, “Fanning the Flames: The grave risk of
Canada’s arms exports to Israel,” Project Ploughshares reveals that
Canadian corporations, with permits granted by the Canadian government,
regularly export military hardware and components to Israel. (Project
Ploughshares is the ecumenical peace research body related to the
Canadian Council of Churches, of which The United Church of Canada is a
member.) In fact, when adjusted for inflation, Canadian sales in 2023
were almost as high as the peak year, 1987. Only by ending its military
exports to Israel can Canada meet its domestic and international
obligations to eliminate violations of international humanitarian law in
Gaza, including possible war crimes.

Mission & Service Stories: Celebrate the full inclusion of 2SLGBTQIA+
people in faith communities and beyond.March 14 is PIE Day. In church
circles it has nothing to do with math. PIE is short for “public,
intentional, and explicit.” These are the standards we hold ourselves to
when we seek to be affirming, welcoming, and inclusive.
Here in Canada, 1 million people identify as 2SLGBTQIA+. In 2019, police
reported 263 hate crimes targeting people for their sexual orientation.
This was a 41 percent increase over the previous year and the highest
number since 2009.*Your gifts through Mission and Service sustain
life-transforming advocacy and education. They support refugees fleeing
for their lives because they identify as 2SLGBTQIA+. They support safe
shelters, community awareness education, human rights programs, and safe
spaces.Thank you for giving through Mission and Service. God’s
compassionate love knows no boundaries. Your generosity shows ours
doesn’t either.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 15, 2024, 4:47:48 PMMar 15
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for March 17, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
Sunday, April 7 at 12:15PM in Room #215
Garage Sale - Saturday, April 26 from 8:30AM - 11AM

Congregational Message: Thanks to Reverend Martha ter Kuile for our
Lenten time of reflection. These ended this past Wednesday so there is
no Lenten reflection tonight.

Minister Message: If you’d like to chat, or get together for a visit or
a coffee, please let me know at marthat...@gmail.com, or call me at
416-450-6544. And please consider joining others in a Lenten lunch on
Wednesday, March 13 & 27 at the Holy Trinity Church. See you there! :)

Offering:
March 10, 2024 (including PAR average) $1,170
2024 Average Weekly $1,724
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Early Reminder: This is a heads up that the church will be holding its
annual garage sale on April 27. We will be looking for clean, gently
used items in good condition, in working order, and which people will be
interested in buying. Of course we will need volunteers to work at the
sale. More details to come later.

Book Club – Book Club - We meet on Sunday, April 7 at 12:15 in Room 215
to discuss The Story of Us by Catherine Hernandez. Filipino Care Worker
Mary Grace Concepcion seeks employment as a Personal Support Worker and
begins caring for Liz, an elderly patient suffering from Alzheimer’s
disease. While Mary Grace’s time with her charge challenges her
conservative beliefs, she soon becomes Liz’s biggest ally, and a
friendship grows between them. The Story of Us is a novel about
sisterhood, about blood and chosen family, and about how belonging can
be found where we least expect it. All are welcome at Book Club; for
more information, contact Barb Paquin at 873-4314.

Red Bins: Thank you to our volunteers for Jan. & Feb. Matt & Joanna,
Anya & Jamie; Karen & Peter; Gordon & Karen; Sean & Janice; Gordon &
Patti; Dave Jarvis & Junior & Rhovy; Charlene & Rovenjay & Mischele. I
am now looking for volunteers for the Coop for April 1-15 and the month
of May onward. If you are able to help out now, or any other time this
year the schedule is wide open. I also have a new volunteer who doesn’t
have a vehicle, so if you would like to volunteer but just need an extra
set of hands, please let Terrilyn know! If you have kids who need
community service hours for school, this project counts.

Mission & Service Stories: Social Support through Education
In Sambir, Ukraine, English teacher Ilona encourages her learners to
enjoy social time with one another while learning English. This class,
supported by Mission and Service partner ACT Alliance, is part of a
psycho social support program for Ukrainians displaced by war. “When we
come together and get to know each other, we have a community.” We can
open up and share our thoughts, feelings, and experiences.” In a
low-pressure learning environment, students can feel comfortable as they
learn skills and learn about each other. Thank you for the support you
show to through Mission and Service as our neighbours endure the ongoing
impacts of war and conflict.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 15, 2024, 5:11:40 PMMar 15
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Thanks to Reverend Martha ter Kuile for our Lenten time of reflection.  These ended this past Wednesday so there is no Lenten reflection tonight.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Martha ter Kuile <marthat...@gmail.com>
Subject: [YKUC News] Lenten Reflections - tonight at 7 pm
Date: March 13, 2024 at 10:08:59 AM MDT
To: Yellowknife News Google Group <ykuc...@googlegroups.com>

A note from Reverend Martha ter Kuile:

Lent is a quiet time in the Christian year, when we are invited to pause and ponder.  If you would like to connect with others for an informal conversation about faith, please join in for an hour on Wednesday evenings. We’ll watch a short video from Scottish theologian Richard Holloway to start us off, but no homework or preparation. Just bring your own thoughts to share.

On ZOOM, Wednesday Feb 21, Feb 28, March 6, and March 13; at 7 pm. (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2305537702?pwd=cDYyWFVtRG55UE9MbzZncEw0ZUNYUT09)

ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 22, 2024, 4:49:29 PMMar 22
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Mar 28, 2024, 3:03:53 PMMar 28
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Apr 5, 2024, 4:07:44 PMApr 5
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Apr 12, 2024, 3:19:20 PMApr 12
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Apr 19, 2024, 3:13:04 PMApr 19
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Apr 26, 2024, 3:41:14 PMApr 26
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

May 3, 2024, 3:34:21 PMMay 3
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
ForwardedMessage.eml

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

May 10, 2024, 7:34:43 PMMay 10
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for May 12, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
May 12 – Welcome back Peter Chynoweth :)
May 16 - Moose Hide Day Against violence: Moose hide Campaign

A look Ahead: Moose Hide Campaign
Started along Canada’s infamous Highway of Tears, the Moose Hide
Campaign is an Indigenous-led grassroots movement of men, boys, and all
Canadians who are standing up against violence towards women, girls, and
Two-Spirit people. Indigenous Ministries and Justice urges individuals
and communities of faith to participate in Moose Hide Campaign Day, and
to raise awareness of the campaign through the year. Check out our Moose
Hide Campaign webpage to learn more, order Moose Hide pins, look for or
register local events, and find a prayer to use as you put on your pin
this year. By wearing a moose hide pin and participating in Moose Hide
Campaign Day, millions of Canadians are making meaningful progress
towards reconciliation and the creation of a country where violence
against women and children is no longer allowed to flourish in the
shadows. Check it out here:
(https://united-church.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ff2087d5fde243a770ed893a8&id=18f240d579&e=4358f2ddb2)

Minister's Note: Last week I mentioned that I would be travelling to
Yellowknife for a month. It so happened that because of a possible
flight disruption I came to Yellowknife a full day earlier than I had
first planned. I also mentioned that I would be offering a discussion
time on Wednesday evenings with "The Spirituality Series" as the theme &
title. We will gather May 15, tomorrow in the Minister's Study of the
Northern United Place - Room #201 @ The top of the stairs @ 7:00PM. For
anyone who would like to join virtually you can click on the following
link. (https://meet.jit.si/SpiritualitySeriesYKUCMay2024)
Our first discussion will be "The Spirituality of Music" and at the
end of Wednesday's session, we will decide on the topic for the
following week. If you are planning to attend, please let me know at
pcchynoweth+...@gmail.com including whether you will join in
person or by video. This way, we can make sure there are enough places
to sit etc. If you forget, don't worry, there is always room for more.
I look forward to a rewarding and stimulating discussion. Blessings...
-Peter Chynoweth

Offering:
May 5, 2024 (including PAR average) $N/A
2024 Average Weekly $454
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Book Club – Broadview Magazine – If you would like to subscribe to or
renew your subscription to our church magazine, Broadview, please
contact the local group subscription coordinator, Barb Paquin, at
873-4314. The cost is $30.00 for a year subscription of magazines.

Red Bins: Big thanks to everyone for your help so far in 2024 & to our
volunteers for April: Rhovy, Junior & Rovenjay, Sean & Janice, Karen &
Gordon, Brian Kelln, Stuart & Emily. I am in search of volunteers to
take over Independent and Fieldhouse on May 16 for the last 2 weeks of
May. If you are able to help out, please let me know. I will also take
this opportunity to ask for volunteers for June, July and August.
We don’t have anyone on the schedule for those months with the exception
of a couple of slots. If you are weekend campers or cabin dwellers over
the summer, it’s ok. We have people who can step in & cover weekends
while you are away. I have listed all the openings below and if you are
able to help out, please let me know. This project has been a great
fundraiser for the church over the past number of years and it wouldn’t
be possible without your help. Thanks for your consideration. Current
openings are: June 16-30- Coop; July; 1-15- Coop; July 1-15- Fieldhouse
& Independent; July 16-31- Coop; July 16-31- Fieldhouse & Independent;
August 1-15- Coop; August 16-31- Coop & August 16-31- Fieldhouse &
Independent

News In Spirit: May Gaza Ceasefire Pilgrimage in your own Community with
national church leaders. The worldwide Gaza Ceasefire Pilgrimage which
began in Lent continues. This renewed invitation is for everyone! Walk
or roll together in your own community, preferably before May 22. Pray
and act for a ceasefire, and for more than a ceasefire- for a just peace
for all in Palestine and Israel. KAIROS member church leaders, including
Moderator Carmen Lansdowne, will gather in Ottawa on May 22-23 to urge
government to take immediate and sustained steps to advance and promote
the calls made in the Gaza Ceasefire Pilgrimage. Please see the United
Church site and the KAIROS site for more details. Here’s a new,
introductory little guide for planning your pilgrimage, especially in
smaller communities. If you would like to plan a pilgrimage in your
community, please let the Regional Council know so that we can support
you. Email Regional Justice Minister Julie Graham at
jgr...@united-church.ca.

Mission & Service Stories: A Beacon of Hope
When we hear of a global emergency, our minds often jump to “How can we
help?” Your gifts to Mission and Service enable partners to immediately
get to work providing crucial basic needs: food, water, shelter, and
medication. But after the initial response, and after headlines fade
away, the emergency and urgency remain. After the immediate shock
lessens, people living in the wake of a disaster can have difficulty
imagining what life will look like down the road. In these times, hope
is essential. By giving us the motivation to keep moving forward, hope
is a powerful force that inspires us to keep going. In Aleppo, MECC
rehabilitated four schools before the academic year launched in
September 2023, providing children with a safe place to learn.
Thank you for supporting the work of our Mission and Service partners.
Your generosity is a beacon of hope during challenging times.

Help Your Community of Faith and Mission & Service with PAR :
The United Church of Canada is celebrating May as Pre-Authorized
Remittance (PAR) Month! Help your community of faith and Mission and
Service with automatic giving. Easy and reliable: Set up monthly
donations to support ongoing work. Spread the word: Encourage others to
join PAR! Resources and plans: Visit the PAR webpage for details.
Let's make a difference, together! Go to the PAR webpage to access
resources and your PAR month campaign plan.

Be Part of History: Celebrate 100 Years of the United Church!
Celebrating 100 Years of Deep. Bold. Daring! A momentous occasion is
upon us! The Centennial Commemoration year launches with a kick-off
worship service on June 9, 2024. Witness the launch of a year-long
celebration of deep spirituality, bold discipleship, and daring justice.
Date: Sunday, June 9, 2024 (Time: 4:00 p.m. ET) Location: Metropolitan
United Church, 56 Queen St. E, Toronto (livestreamed too!) General
Secretary the Rev. Michael Blair will deliver the powerful message.