Fwd: Fwd: [YKUC News] Yellowknife United Church Announcements - May 26, 2024

1 view

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

May 24, 2024, 5:28:09 PMMay 24
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for May 26, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
Pride Parade Planning (June 1st) - Contact on site after Worship

Minister's Note: We will make bread for Communion this Sunday May 26
Please let us know you are coming by sending an email to:
pcchynoweth+...@gmail.comIf you are planning to attend, please
let me know at pcchynoweth+...@gmail.com including whether you
will join in person or by video. This way, we can make sure there are
enough places to sit etc. If you forget, don't worry, there is always
room for more. I look forward to a rewarding and stimulating discussion.
Blessings... ♥ Peter Chynoweth

Offering:
May 12, 2024 (including PAR average) $1333
2024 Average Weekly $582
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Broadview Magazine – If you would like to subscribe to or renew your
subscription to our church magazine, Broadview, please contact the local
group subscription coordinator, ♥ Barb Paquin, at 873-4314. The cost is
$30.00 for a year subscription of magazines.

Red Bins: Big thanks to everyone for your help so far in 2024 & to our
volunteers for April & May: Rhovy, Junior & Rovenjay, Sean & Janice,
Karen & Gordon, Brian Kelln, Stuart & Emily. I am in search of
volunteers to take over Independent and Fieldhouse on May 16 for the
last 2 weeks of May. If you are able to help out, please let ♥ Terrilynn
know. For June, July and August, we don’t have anyone on the schedule
for those months with the exception of a couple of slots. If you are
weekend campers or cabin dwellers over the summer, it’s ok. We have
people who can step in & cover weekends while you are away. I have
listed all the openings below and if you are able to help out, please
let me know. This project has been a great fundraiser for the church
over the past number of years and it wouldn’t be possible without your
help. Thanks for your consideration. Current openings are: June 16-30-
Coop; July; 1-15- Coop; July 16-31- Coop; July 16-31- Fieldhouse &
Independent; August 1-15- Coop; August 16-31- Coop & August 16-31-
Fieldhouse & Independent.

♥ Call to prayer and updates: Wildfires Continue in our Region:
Fort Nelson, Grande Prairie, Fort MacMurray are all facing major
wildfires, and the situation is dangerous and changing quickly. The
people of Fort Nelson and Fort Nelson First Nation, and the members of
Hillcrest United, have already evacuated; Fort McMurray and the people
of First United move between evacuation alerts and evacuation. We offer
thanks to courageous first responders, fire fighters and community
leaders; and to family and friends and the communities of Fort St John,
Dawson Creek and far beyond who are hosting those evacuated. We are
reaching out to all of these communities.

Mission & Service Stories: Healing through Storytelling
Bunk #7 is the true story of six boys rioting against the mistreatment
and many forms of abuse they received at Edmonton Indian Residential
School in St. Albert, Alberta, in the early 1960s. Written by the late
Nisga’a MLA Larry Guno, the play is based on his own experience at the
residential school and named for his bunk number. Your gifts to Mission
and Service open opportunities for storytelling to move forward in an
impactful and powerful way. Thank you for your generosity.♥

News In Spirit: Gaza Ceasefire Pilgrimage: Church Leaders March to
Parliament Hill for Gaza Ceasefire.♥
Canadian church leaders are culminating a Week of Action with a
pilgrimage to Parliament Hill that took place on, May 22. They'll urge
Canada to support a ceasefire, humanitarian aid, and a just peace in
Israel and Palestine. Join the call for peace! Read the full news story.
(https://www.kairoscanada.org/gaza-ceasefire-pilgrimage) Leaders
confirmed to attend are: The Right Rev. Dr. Carmen Lansdowne, Moderator
of The United Church of Canada; Rev. Susan Johnson, National Bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada; and Leah Reesor-Keller,
Transitional Executive Director, KAIROS Canada. The Presbyterian Church
in Canada will also participate. More confirmations to come. Find out
ways you can take action, pray, and advocate for lasting peace and
justice in Palestine and Israel.

Help Your Community of Faith and Mission & Service with PAR :
May Is PAR Month! May Is PAR Month! Don’t be PAR-alyzed. It’s easy to
invite people to PAR-take in PAR month. We have all the PAR-aphernalia
and resources you need. There’s even a sample plan so you don’t have to
do all the work to PAR-ticipate. Download them from the Giving Monthly
Through PAR webpage. All kidding aside, inviting people to monthly
giving through PAR (Pre-Authorized Remittance) is an easy way for you to
help increase generosity in your community of faith. And increasing
generosity not only increases ministry, it’s also a great way to nurture
discipleship as people learn to walk the Way of Jesus. Please make a big
deal about it. Have fun with it. PAR-ty on! Signature of Rev. Dave Rev.
Dave Jagger Community of Faith Stewardship Lead The United Church of
Canada is celebrating May as Pre-Authorized Remittance (PAR) Month! Help
your community of faith and Mission and Service with automatic giving.
Easy and reliable: Set up monthly donations to support ongoing work.
Spread the word: Encourage others to join PAR! Resources and plans:
Visit the PAR webpage for details. Let's make a difference, together! Go
to the PAR webpage to access resources and your PAR month campaign plan.

Be Part of History: Save the Date! Celebrating 100 Years of Deep, Bold,
Daring Celebrating 100 Years of Deep. Bold. Daring. Join us for a
worship service to kick off a year-long celebration of the 100th
anniversary of The United Church of Canada. The 100th Anniversary
kick-off service will be held at Metropolitan United Church in Toronto.
It will also be livestreamed. Don't miss this special event! Details to
come soon. Date: Sunday, June 9, 2024
Time: 4:00 p.m. ET Location:
Metropolitan United Church (Toronto) - Livestreamed too!

No one left behind: Equality, Freedom, and Justice for All with people
of different genders, races and sexual orientations holding hands in a
circle. May 17 was International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and
Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). The 2024 theme, "No One Left Behind,"
highlighted the ongoing fight for global 2SLGBTQIA+ rights. Despite
progress, many 2SLGBTQIA+ people still face discrimination and violence,
and Canada continues to see a rise in anti-trans policies and hate
crimes. The United Church of Canada is committed to fighting for equality.

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

May 31, 2024, 2:54:34 PMMay 31
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for June 2, 2024

Upcoming Events:
♥ Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
🌈June 1 @ 1:45PM - Live Streaming Session AFFIRM Celebration YKUC AUD.
🌈Pride Parade - is on SUNDAY JUNE 2, 2PM @ Somba k'e Park
♥ Zoom Meeting June 4, 2024 at 5:30pm YKUC - May Official Board Meeting

Minister's Note: If you want to join us at the livestream congregation
for theCelebration of Northern Spirit Regional Council being an
Affirming Ministry - you can gather at Northern United Place auditorium
Saturday, June 1 @ 1:45PM.

Offering:
May 12, 2024 (including PAR average) $908
2024 Average Weekly $988
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

Broadview Magazine – If you would like to subscribe to or renew your
subscription to our church magazine, Broadview, please contact the local
group subscription coordinator, ♥ Barb Paquin, at 873-4314. The cost is
$30.00 for a year subscription of magazines.

Red Bins: Thanks to everyone for helping with the bins so far this year.
By the end of May we will have filled 3 trailers so far in 2024! Now
trying to fill the calendar for June, July and August. We don’t have
anyone on the schedule for those months with the exception of a couple
of slots. If you are weekend campers or cabin dwellers over the summer,
it’s ok. We have people who can step in and cover weekends while you are
away. I have listed all the openings below and if you are able to help
out, please let me know. This project has been a great fundraiser for
the church over the past number of years and it wouldn’t be possible
without your help. Thanks for your consideration. Current openings are:
June 16-30- Coop; July; 1-15- Coop; July 16-31- Coop; July 16-31-
Fieldhouse & Independent; August 1-15- Coop; August 16-31- Coop; August
16-31- Fieldhouse & Independent; September 1-15 Coop; September 1-15 -
Fieldhouse & Independent. ♥

♥ Call to prayer and updates: Family News; wildfires in our Regional
Council While the fire situation has improved over the past week, the
people of Fort Nelson and Fort Nelson First Nation remain away from
their homes. We offer thanks to courageous first responders, fire
fighters and community leaders; and to family and friends and the
communities of Fort St John, Dawson Creek and far beyond who are hosting
those evacuated. Please click here for more details.
(https://northernspiritrc.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d54c5fe027cfb46b9a0550e&id=f8f95888e7&e=b1024f9ac1)

♥ Mission & Service Stories: Learning about God’s Love
It’s often hard for 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals to reconcile their faith with
their identity. They feel isolated and alienated from the church.
Mission and Service partner Silver Spire United Church in St.
Catharines, Ontario fosters a sense of belonging in 2SLGBTQIA+ young
people through Queer Kid Bible Camp. Your Generosity Is Refreshing
Being able to take a shower can have a positive impact on a person’s
mental and emotional health. It provides a sense of dignity, self-worth,
and normalcy that contributes to overall well-being, especially to
people living on the streets. In downtown St. Catharines, ON, Silver
Spire United Church’s shower and laundry program is changing lives. Your
support through Mission and Service helps programs like Silver Spire’s
to support people’s well-being.

♥ News In Spirit: Church leaders Ceasefire Pilgrimage on Parliament Hill
On May 22, church leaders and members from a very wide range of
denominations marched to Parliament Hill to call on Canada to do more
towards a ceasefire between Israel and Gaza, Occupied Palestinian
Territories, the release of all captives, and immediate humanitarian
aid. They also called on Canada to end all military sales to Israel.
“Canada can do better. We can avoid being complicit in genocide by
imposing a comprehensive and binding embargo on military trade with
Israel,” said Moderator Lansdowne. “I join here with my siblings in
faith and our membership gathered here in Ottawa today, to not just wish
for a better world, but to actively advocate for a just peace in
Palestine and Israel.” Please click here for the full story.
(https://northernspiritrc.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d54c5fe027cfb46b9a0550e&id=5cf2f05dd2&e=b1024f9ac1)

♥Help Your Community of Faith and Mission & Service with PAR :
Don’t be PAR-alyzed. It’s easy to invite people to PAR-take in PAR
month. We have all the PAR-aphernalia and resources you need. There’s
even a sample plan so you don’t have to do all the work to PAR-ticipate.
Download them from the Giving Monthly Through PAR webpage. All kidding
aside, inviting people to monthly giving through PAR (Pre-Authorized
Remittance) is an easy way for you to help increase generosity in your
community of faith. And increasing generosity not only increases
ministry, it’s also a great way to nurture discipleship as people learn
to walk the Way of Jesus. ♥ Please make a big deal about it ♥. Have fun
with it. PAR-ty on! Set up monthly donations to support ongoing work.
Spread the word: Encourage others to join PAR! Resources and plans:
Visit the PAR webpage for details. Let's make a difference, together! Go
to the PAR webpage to access resources and your PAR month campaign plan.

♥Be Part of History: Save the Date! ★ United Church 100th anniversary
reminder and resources Lots of preparations for the June 2025 centenary
of the United Church are getting underway. Read on.
★ Tonight! Planning for the United Church’s 100th anniversary with our
regional and national archivists: Join us at 6:30 CST for an intro to
resources, a look at archival work related to the anniversary, and a
conversation about your own plans. Click here for details.
Our Archivists, Leanne Templeton and Erin Acland, have prepared a
resource to help you get started on your community of faith’s
anniversary plans. Click here to download the PDF. And on June 9, the
national church will hold a livestreamed national anniversary service at
2:00PM CST.
(https://northernspiritrc.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d54c5fe027cfb46b9a0550e&id=ddf9473867&e=b1024f9ac1)
Celebrating 100 Years of Deep, Bold, Daring Celebrating 100 Years of
Deep. Bold. Daring. Join us for a worship service to kick off a
year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of The United Church of
Canada. The 100th Anniversary kick-off service will be held at
Metropolitan United Church in Toronto. It will also be livestreamed.
Don't miss this special event! Details to come soon. Date: Sunday, June
9, 2024; Time: 4:00 p.m. ET Location: Metropolitan United Church

🌈 This Saturday! Northern Spirit Regional Council Affirming celebration
and celebration of ministries service, Saturday June 1 at 2:00PM: join
online or in-person!
Having finished the formal requirements of the Affirming process,
Northern Spirit is ready to launch into the next part of its Affirming
journey. All are welcome to the Affirming celebration and the ordination
of Carrie Symondson, online via YouTube, and in person at Mill Woods
United Church, 15 Grand Meadow Cres, Edmonton, AB. Pride picnic to
follow! If you would like to send a note of congratulations, please
email norther...@united-church.ca, or send a card to 8510 95 Avenue
NW, Edmonton AB, T6C 1Y7. Please click here to share this invitation
widely! ♥

Yellowknife United Church Administrator

Jun 7, 2024, 2:28:18 PMJun 7
to Yellowknife United Church Group Email
Announcements for June 9, 2024

Upcoming Events:
Worship Services are on Sundays at 11:00AM in the Church Auditorium
June 9, @ 5:30pm post worship - Official Board Meeting, Lunch provided
June 9 –Union Sunday Celebrating 99 years - United Church of Canada
June 16 – Beach Church & Picnic at Fred Henne Park All are welcome
June 23 – Circle worship with special guest, Ruth Mercredi :)
June 30 – Worship services led by Janice Daly
July 7 – Led by Karen Wilford - Summer hours at 10:00 AM/ July/ August
July 14 – Welcome back, Rev. Alison Mock :)

Offering:
June 2, 2024 (including PAR average) $2,087
2024 Average Weekly $1,749
2024 Weekly Budget Target Figures: $1,721

★Wider Church News & Resources: June is Indigenous History Month and
June 21st is National Indigenous Peoples’ Day. How will you be marking
this time that has come to be recognized because of the advocacy and
leadership of First Nations people? New worship materials are available
on the United Church website. This site also contains all previous
National Indigenous Day orders of service as well as many other
Indigenous-themed worship resources.

★Awasisak: Our Children, Our Future, film and talk with Dr. Patricia
Makokis, Monday, June 10, 2024, 7:00 to 8:30 pm MDT/ CST, 8:00-9:30PM
CDT, online The Being Good Relations Network in Northern Spirit and
Chinook Winds Regional Councils invites you to a webinar in honour of
Indigenous History Month. We will watch the video together and be in
conversation with the film producer and walk organizer Dr. Patricia
Makokis, Saddle Lake Cree Nation servant leader, about what our children
are learning, how we take part in treaty, and the possibility of
organizing treaty walks and talks in our communities. To view the first
two videos in the series, see www.treatytalk.com All welcome! Click here
for a shareable invitation. Zoom connection details:
(https://united-church.zoom.us/j/83155001968?pwd=wj7UI4C8Hen4VdGqrp17OtP2Zpbfzo.1)

♥ Call to prayer and updates: Family News; wildfires in our Regional
Council While the fire situation has improved over the past week, the
people of Fort Nelson and Fort Nelson First Nation remain away from
their homes. We offer thanks to courageous first responders, fire
fighters and community leaders; and to family and friends and the
communities of Fort St John, Dawson Creek and far beyond who are hosting
those evacuated. Please click here for more details.
(https://northernspiritrc.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d54c5fe027cfb46b9a0550e&id=f8f95888e7&e=b1024f9ac1)

♥ Mission & Service Stories: Advocating for Sexual and Gender Minorities
in Other Countries. Same-sex attraction is a crime in 71 countries, and
11 of them have the death penalty. The stories people share after they
escape these repressive governments clearly show the risks 2SLGBTQIA+
people take. Mission and Service brings together church leaders in
foreign countries to discover how we can help make the church a place of
liberation and life for sexual & gender minorities in those places.🌈

[...]

year. Since June 1, we have filled 3 trailers so far in 2024!
Now trying to fill the calendar ahead for June, July and August. I have
listed all the openings below and if you are able to help out, please
let me know. This project has been a great fundraiser for the church
over the past number of years and it wouldn’t be possible
without your help. Thanks for your consideration. Current openings are:
June 16-30- Coop; July; 1-15- Coop; July 16-31- Coop;
July 16-31- Field-house & Independent; August 1-15- Coop; August 16-31-
Coop; August 16-31- Field-house & Independent; September 1-15 Coop;