YIMBY News for 7/11

Eric Budd

Jul 11, 2024, 9:50:52 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

This City Covered Up a Contaminated Park For Decades. Now What?

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 38.97. apartment, construction, development, house, housing, income, project, rent, segregate, walk

*This story was co-published with Triad City Beat as part of our joint Equitable Cities Reporting Fellowship For Racial Justice Narratives.* It’s a hot and humid afternoon in Greensboro, North Carolina. School just let out for the day, and the faint tune of an ice cream truck jingles in the distance. A big, yellow school bus rolls through the Morningside Homes neighborhood. It squeaks to a stop, and a little boy jumps out and into the arms of his sister and cousin. Across the street sprawls 12 green acres at Bingham Park — just a skip, hop and a jump away from the family’s home. On a summer da

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

9 Ways Local Population Growth Can Improve Your Quality of Life

Strong Towns

KEYWORD SCORE: 38.84. apartment, development, downtown, growth, house, housing, parking, parking lot, project, rent, urban, walk

*This town is ready for a party…but there’s no one around to enjoy it.* *I live in my childhood neighborhood.* Having moved back here after nearly 20 years away, my overriding impression is of an almost overwhelming *sameness*. It’s a stable neighborhood — peaceful and middle-class then; peaceful and middle-class now. Virtually no new buildings have been built of any sort. You could show me a photo from most vantage points around the street I grew up on, label it with any year between 1990 and 2024, and I’d just have to take you at your word for what year it was taken. I’ve written before abou

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Why America Needs a National Urbanist Political Party

Streetsblog Net

KEYWORD SCORE: 34.52. apartment, bike lane, density, housing, income, project, rent, transportation, urban, yimby, zoning

*Editor’s note: This article originally appeared on The New Urban Order and is republished with permission. * Last month when New York Governor Kathy Hochul canceled congestion pricing at the 11th hour, she made one thing clear: She doesn’t fear urbanists. She wasn’t worried that the people who care about public transit and bike lanes, who love residential density, who want more pedestrian spaces, who crave informed urban planning would abandon her or the Democratic party. She could piss off these people and know that they’d still tow the party line. Urbanism — a set of beliefs centered on sus

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Seattle Sends $1.55 Billion Transportation Levy to the November Ballot

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 29.22. bus rapid transit, construction, downtown, homeowner, house, project, public space, rent, transportation, urban, vision zero, walk

On Tuesday, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved an ordinance sending an eight-year transportation levy renewal to the November general election ballot. Adjusted for inflation, the $1.55 billion property tax measure represents an increase of around 30% compared to $930 million Levy to Move Seattle, passed in 2015 and expiring at year’s end. Under this plan, a homeowner with a median-valued house would pay $21 more per month, or $252 per year, compared to now. The new levy includes few signature, big-ticket projects, unlike the Move Seattle Levy, which included the John Lewis Memorial

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Sound Transit Launches Surveys To Plan South Seattle Link Infill Stations

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 27.66. bus route, construction, development, house, infill, parking, parking lot, project, rent, transportation, urban, walk

Sound Transit is seeking public feedback on proposed Link light rail infill stations in South Seattle and Tukwila. Stations near Graham Street and Boeing Access Road have been long-standing promises to South End communities, and could finally be realized by 2031. Last year, Sound Transit commissioned planning efforts for the two stations, hiring planning, engineering, and design firm Kimley-Horn for the job. The firm is tasked with two primary tasks for now, set to transpire over a 16-month period. The first phase — which the agency is currently in — involves screening options to identify a pr

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Can We Make Homebuying Permanently Affordable?

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 23.06. affordable, affordable housing, development, homeowner, house, housing, urban, walk

[image: Next City Podcast] The first home sold as part of Richmond's Maggie Walker Community Land Trust. (Photo courtesy Maggie Walker Community Land Trust) At Next City, we've covered a lot of community land trusts: CLTs developing disaster-resilient housing, CLTs helping recruit Black public school teachers through housing opportunities, CLTs helping house Indigenous foster youth aging out of the system. They're a potent and increasingly popular tool for creating permanently affordable housing amid – but CLTs also have some drawbacks. Yet some of those pain points can be mitigated when paire

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Most Denver residents feel safe and love city services, according to a new bipartisan poll

Denverite

KEYWORD SCORE: 20.59. affordable, affordable housing, downtown, homeowner, housing, housing cost, rent, renter

More Denverites say their city is doing better now than they did in August 2023. Nearly three-quarters of Denverites say they feel safe in the city — and that number has risen over the past year. A majority of residents are not particularly concerned about the revitalization of Downtown Denver, with 55 percent not viewing it as a top priority. Residents continue to be concerned with homelessness, a lack of housing affordability and crime. All that’s according to the nonprofit Colorado Polling Institute’s bipartisan survey of 409 registered voters in Denver. The institute now regularly surveys

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer