YIMBY News for 6/27

Eric Budd

Jun 27, 2024, 9:51:08 AMJun 27
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

The winners and losers of the Biden economy

Vox - Politics

KEYWORD SCORE: 37.33. construction, development, growth, homeowner, house, housing, housing stock, income, rent, renter, zoning

[image: Stacks of coins at various heights with red downward and upward trend lines.] President Joe Biden’s economic record is a bit like a certain orange-hued ex-president: It’s perpetually on trial. For years, politicians and commentators have been arguing over the merits of the Biden-era economy. And the question of whether Americans have prospered under the president’s watch is certain to feature prominently in his Thursday night debate with Donald Trump. The answer to that question, though, may ultimately hinge on which Americans we’re talking about. Any set of economic policies and devel

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

No One Really Knows How Interest Rates Work

The Atlantic

KEYWORD SCORE: 30.64. construction, growth, homeowner, house, housing, housing price, income, project, rent, supply

Arguably the single most important question for the U.S. economy in 2024 is whether and when the Federal Reserve will cut interest rates. With inflation still hovering just above the Fed’s 2 percent target, the central bank faces a dilemma: Lower rates too quickly, and inflation could take off again; keep them high for too long, and the public could suffer unnecessarily. The decision could even affect the outcome of the presidential election. Wall Street and the White House are anxiously awaiting the Fed’s next move. Given all that, you might reasonably expect the relationship between interest

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Thursday’s Headlines Are Running 15 Minutes Late

Streetsblog Net

KEYWORD SCORE: 27.16. bus rapid transit, density, housing, housing crisis, parking, project, rent, transportation, urban, vision zero, walk, zoning

- Fifteen-minute cities may not be feasible in North America, according to a McGill University study. Instead, jobs and services within a 30-minute reach is more feasible. And European backers of the 15-minute concept aren’t necessarily doing themselves any favors winning over American skeptics (Governing). - Replacing stroads with boulevards, combined with zoning reform and eliminating parking mandates, could solve the housing crisis, according to one prominent New Urbanist planner. (CNU Public Square) - The most recent People for Bikes report shows that once cities reach a certain threshold

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Election Disputes Have Torn a California County Apart

Governing

KEYWORD SCORE: 24.69. construction, downtown, growth, house, housing, housing crisis, project, rent, walk

To understand the forces tearing apart California’s Shasta County, consider what has happened to Cathy Darling Allen. In five consecutive elections, voters in the rural county have selected her as their chief election official. That means that since 2004, she’s been responsible for voter registration, the administration of elections, and a host of related tasks. She’s consistently been the only Democrat in countywide office in the conservative county, where Donald Trump won more than 60% of the vote in 2020. In 2022, her most recent appearance on the ballot, she took in nearly 70% of the vote.

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Why We Need More Real Estate Developers of Color

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 24.44. affordable, affordable housing, construction, development, housing, preservation, project, real estate

[image: Next City Podcast] (Photo by Ben Iwara / Unsplash+) Gina Merritt, head of Northern Real Estate Ventures, didn’t set out to become a developer. But when she landed an interview for a job with the affordable housing development arm of a construction company, she fell in love with the field. Merritt who grew up in affordable housing showed up on her first day and knew it was where she was supposed to be. “The only thing I saw [on site] was a bulldozer and I just was in my car, crying really, and trembling and realizing then that this is what has been chasing me my whole life,” she says. M

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Union Printers Home projects moves forward as Colorado Springs city council approves zoning changes, variances

Colorado Public Radio

KEYWORD SCORE: 22.28. construction, downtown, height limit, mixed-use, preservation, project, zone, zoning

Colorado Springs City Council members unanimously approved zoning changes and variances that will pave the way for the planned revitalization of the historic Union Printers Home. The site is now zoned as mixed-use which allows for a mix of residential, commercial, and retail spaces, among other things. The more than 26-acre property east of downtown will be known as Printers Hill. Council also approved adjusting building height limits for future construction at the site. Yolanda Avila represents the southeast Colorado Springs district that includes the Union Printers Home property. She grew up

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

RTD CEO says frustrated light rail riders should get used to disruptions

Colorado Public Radio

KEYWORD SCORE: 20.89. affordable, affordable housing, apartment, development, housing, project, regional transportation district, transportation, zone

Regional Transportation District officials say they’re making progress fixing track problems that have slowed light rail trains on southern sections of the E, H and R Line. All speed restrictions between the Orchard and Belleview stations have been lifted, RTD announced Tuesday. Officials added that they hope all trouble spots will be fixed by September if all goes well. But that still leaves miles of track where trains are still traveling at just 10 mph. Between the pokey trains and another disruptive repair project , commuters say using the E Line in particular — which runs just once an hour

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

$75 million in federal funds flow into Colorado Springs to expand computer chip manufacturing

Colorado Sun

KEYWORD SCORE: 19.95. construction, development, house, housing, project, rent, supply

Everything’s coming up computer chips in Colorado Springs, with a second company in the city scoring big in the federal incentive program to lure chip manufacturing back to the United States. Entegris Inc., which is building a 130,000-square-foot manufacturing plant on land that once housed an old Hewlett Packard factory, was awarded $75 million as part of the CHIPS and Science Act, the Biden administration announced Wednesday. In January, Microchip Technology, which also picked Colorado Springs to expand chip-related manufacturing, received $90 million to grow and modernize its fabrication pl

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Susana Lopez-Baker to lead the Boulder County Housing Authority and Housing Department

Daily Camera Boulder News

KEYWORD SCORE: 19.20. affordable, affordable housing, homeowner, housing, housing authority

[image: Susana Lopez-Baker (Courtesy photo/Boulder County)]Susana Lopez-Baker (Courtesy photo/Boulder County) The Boulder County Commissioners appointed Susana Lopez-Baker as executive director of the Boulder County Housing Authority and director of the new Boulder County Housing Department. “I’m firmly committed to working collaboratively with the commissioners, staff, residents, and community partners to address the full housing continuum, from homelessness to homeownership, in Boulder County,” said Lopez-Baker in a statement. “Together, I believe we will continue to ensure that community me

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer