YIMBY News for 7/6

Eric Budd

Jul 6, 2024, 9:51:07 AMJul 6
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

Transportation Advocate Saunatina Sanchez Mounts Seattle Council Bid

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 46.45. affordable, affordable housing, bike lane, comprehensive plan, density, house, housing, housing cost, income, occupancy, parking, rent, renter, transportation, urban, vision zero, walk, zone, zoning

With Seattle voters getting a rare opportunity to weigh in on who should fill a citywide seat on the Seattle City Council during a high-turnout Presidential election year, Councilmember Tanya Woo faces multiple progressive challengers in the August primary. Saunatina Sanchez, a community organizer with deep roots in Seattle’s transportation advocacy realm, is making the case that she is best positioned among them to be able to not only beat Woo but also make positive change once she gets to City Hall. With Woo filling in as a temporary appointment to Position 8 after Teresa Mosqueda’s successf

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Social Housing Backers Declare Victory in I-137 Signature-Gathering Campaign

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 45.50. affordable, affordable housing, construction, cost of housing, development, downtown, growth, house, housing, income, mobility, project, rent, supply, transportation, urban

Late last month, backers of Initiative 137 announced that they have gathered enough voter signatures to qualify to send their social housing funding measure to Seattle voters. It will be up to the Seattle City Council to decide exactly when I-137 is on the ballot — and if a competing measure will appear alongside. Placing I-137 on the November presidential ballot or on a special February election remain options within the council’s discretion, as is passing the measure outright and skipping the ballot, which backers consider unlikely. There is precedent for adding a dueling measure. In 2022, t

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Boulder County-area cone zones for July 8-14

Daily Camera Boulder News

KEYWORD SCORE: 20.52. bike lane, bus stop, construction, development, mobility, multimodal, parking, parking lot, project, rent, transportation, walk, zone

Boulder • 28th Street improvements — Pearl to Iris. This project will improve multimodal travel along 28th Street from Pearl to Iris. Northbound 28th and Valmont Road RTD Stop #17992 serving 205 and BOLT routes will be temporarily relocated to just south of the Valmont intersection until Dec. 31. • 19th Street and Fourmile Canyon Creek Underpass: Crews will begin replacing the bridge over Fourmile Canyon Creek and construct a bike/pedestrian underpass. During construction at all times, seven days a week, 19th Street will be closed to northbound vehicles, bikes and RTD bus service at Sumac Aven

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Why Colorado Concern stands by property tax cut

Colorado Sun

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.86. downtown, growth, house, housing, project, rent, urban, zone

[image: The Unaffiliated — All politics, no agenda.] ------------------------------ The Unaffiliated is now in summer mode so that The Colorado Sun politics team can recharge the batteries and dig into some meatier stories over the next few weeks. Through Labor Day we will publish once a week, on Fridays. We may publish the occasional Tuesday newsletter if there’s news that can’t wait, but typically the summer months are slower for political news. We’ll be back to our regular twice-a-week frequency as the general election nears. And don’t worry: You can still expect the same amount of exclusiv

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Chicago’s Unique Bike Giveaway Program Is a Win for Mobility Justice

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.61. construction, growth, mobility, parking, rent, transportation, urban

Bikes in storage before a distribution event. (Photo courtesy Hani Shamat / SUMC) When the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) launched its Bike Chicago program in the summer of 2022, the city began working on its goal to promote active transportation and target “mobility hardship” by injecting working-class communities with free access to cycling. Now, a report on the first two years of the country’s biggest free bike distribution program says it’s proven an “effective, cost-efficient model for getting bicycles into users’ hands for transportation” in disinvested neighborhoods. “First

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer