YIMBY News for 7/12

Eric Budd

Jul 12, 2024, 9:51:15 AM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

Incremental Development Is Still Better Than Large-Scale Development and Here Is Why

Strong Towns

KEYWORD SCORE: 43.22. affordable, condo, development, growth, housing, housing crisis, income, real estate, rent, urban, zone, zoning

*This article was originally published, in slightly different form, on **Public Square**, a CNU journal. It is shared here with permission. All pictures were supplied by the writer.* *Vancouver’s Yaletown, which was significantly redeveloped after the 1986 Expo. (Credit: David G. Gordon.)* *Last November, Patrick Condon spoke somberly to a crowd of journalists in Cambridge, Massachusetts.* He seemed defeated. He’d lost all hope. Condon teaches sustainable urban design at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. As he explained, much of his life’s work had been spent advocating for incr

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

The Weekly Wrap: In Oakland, An Experiment in Community Traffic Enforcement

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 40.30. affordable, affordable housing, construction, downtown, homeowner, housing, project, real estate, rent, rent control, urban, walk, yimby

[image: The Weekly Wrap] People in Oakland. (Photo by Corey Agopian / Unsplash) Welcome back to The Weekly Wrap, our Friday roundup of stories that explain the problems oppressing people in cities and elevate the solutions that bring us closer to economic, environmental and social justice. Oakland Will Test Community Traffic Enforcement Oakland’s city council approved a pilot project that will use resident knowledge to add traffic and safety barriers to city streets, Oaklandside reports. Two pilot projects will be rolled out, one in East Oakland and one in West Oakland, where residents will ap

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Contentious housing development gets stamp of approval from Colorado Springs City Council, despite public safety concerns

Colorado Public Radio

KEYWORD SCORE: 31.91. apartment, development, housing, income, mixed-use, project, rent, urban, zone, zoning

Colorado Springs City Council voted Tuesday to approve a controversial development called Arrowswest Apartments near Garden of the Gods. The proposal is for a 222-unit, seven-building apartment complex at 4145 Arrowswest Drive, a location diagonal from 2424 Garden of the Gods. Council rejected a similar proposal to develop that spot in 2021. After granting initial approval, councilmembers changed their minds on that plan due to concerns about public safety and wildfire evacuations. The newly approved Arrowswest development by Weidner Apartment Homes sits at the same busy intersection, where wi

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

My Twin

The Atlantic

KEYWORD SCORE: 25.63. affordable, apartment, downtown, gentrification, house, parking, parking garage, parking lot, real estate, rent, urban, walk

After my divorce was finalized, I quit my job. I quit my book club. My monthly poker game. I canceled my gym membership and my weekly tennis lesson. I deleted my social-media accounts. I left every group text. It’s easier this way. Now I work from home—an apartment, actually. I’m a freelance copywriter. I microwave nearly all of my meals, and each evening after dinner, I scoop ice cream into a fussy teacup that I got at a consignment shop. I eat it while my TV plays something from one of the various streaming platforms. I watch until I hear the mockingbird’s call. From some unknown tree outsid

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

The Blame Game: Why Elmer the Safety Elephant Can’t Protect Kids

Strong Towns

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.56. development, mobility, rent, transportation, urban, vision zero, walk

*A few years ago, I spoke to a committee of city councillors, advocating for the reduction of vehicle speeds in my city.* In my presentation, I cited two local children who had recently and separately been killed while crossing the street. Both had been in pedestrian corridors with a parent, with crosswalk lights activated. Both had been doing everything “right.” On a break, I got caught in a very uncomfortable conversation with a fellow meeting delegate ("conversation" is putting it generously; he was pretty much just talking *at* me). His cavalier attitude toward these deaths and the horrifi

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer