YIMBY News for 6/24

Eric Budd

Jun 24, 2024, 9:51:21 AMJun 24
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

The Factors Driving Housing Costs to All-Time Highs

Governing

KEYWORD SCORE: 43.81. affordable, affordable housing, apartment, cost of housing, growth, homeowner, house, housing, housing cost, housing price, income, rent, renter, supply, urban, zoning

In Brief: Home prices are at an all-time high and a record number of renters are spending at least half their income on housing, according to a new Harvard University report. Just one in seven households that are renting can now afford the typical cost of a first home. High interest rates, supply constraints and growth in home insurance premiums are all driving housing costs. It just keeps getting worse. The U.S. housing market is “defined” by unaffordability, according to a new report from the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University. The annual report, The State of the Nation’s

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

In Philly, The People’s Budget Increases Civic Engagement and Moves Money

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 24.47. affordable, affordable housing, housing, project, public hearing, rent, walk

If you’ve walked through LOVE Park during May and June the last two years, you have undoubtedly seen a long shipping container anchored in the northwest corner of JFK Plaza, a cherry-red beacon sitting in the shadow of Philadelphia’s historic City Hall. Part public art installation and part information center, the corten steel box is the temporary office of The People’s Budget, one piece of an initiative led by artist Phoebe Bachman of Mural Arts of Philadelphia, and funded by the City of Philadelphia. Founded in 2020, The People’s Budget empowers Philadelphians to participate in the city’s ye

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Boulder County-area cone zones for June 24-30

Daily Camera Boulder News

KEYWORD SCORE: 22.31. bike lane, bus stop, construction, homeowner, mobility, multimodal, parking, parking lot, project, rent, transportation, walk, zone

Boulder • 28th Street improvements — Pearl to Iris. This project will improve multimodal travel along 28th Street from Pearl to Iris. Northbound 28th and Valmont Road RTD Stop #17992 serving 205 and BOLT routes will be temporarily relocated to just south of the Valmont intersection until Dec. 31. • 19th Street and Fourmile Canyon Creek Underpass: Crews will begin replacing the bridge over Fourmile Canyon Creek and construct a bike/pedestrian underpass. During construction at all times, seven days a week, 19th Street will be closed to northbound vehicles, bikes and RTD bus service at Sumac Aven

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Colorado renters can save money by getting their own background checks, but nobody seems to know how to do it

Colorado Public Radio

KEYWORD SCORE: 20.03. apartment, condo, downtown, house, housing, housing co-op, housing cost, income, rent, renter

Nobody loves moving, but Matthew Doucette was looking forward to at least one part of his recent rental search. He knew that Colorado lawmakers had recently passed a law to reduce the cost of rental applications . He wanted to try it out. The law, HB23-1099 , was meant to save renters from paying for a new background check with each application. Instead, it says they can pay for one background check and bring it to multiple landlords. “If I could pay $50, or even $100 upfront … I was very excited about that,” Doucette said. But as he and others have learned, the reality isn’t nearly so simple.

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Can’t win the mall

Colorado Sun

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.03. construction, development, downtown, house, income, project, rent, supply, urban, walk

Happy Colorado Sunday, friends! For a large number of years that I am not going to describe in precise detail here, the 16th Street Mall was a crucial part of my work day. We walked there to eat spicy Chinese green beans at the food court in the basement of Republic Plaza (aka Lower Hell) or for coffee at Starbucks, or Cooks, or Ink, or hopped on a MallRide to take a quick browse through Tattered Cover in LoDo or catch the L bus home. It was just there for me — a place to sit when I needed air or a walk to declutter my brain. I loved the randomness of a stroll down the patterned pavers leading

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer