YIMBY News for 6/26

Eric Budd

Jun 26, 2024, 9:51:07 AMJun 26
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

36 Hours in Cincinnati: A Quick Crash Course in Placemaking

Strong Towns

KEYWORD SCORE: 29.67. affordable, construction, development, downtown, growth, parking, public space, real estate, rent, transportation, urban, walk

*(Photo by **Jake Blucker** on Unsplash)* *On Tuesday, May 14, I landed in Cincinnati with no expectations.* I left it less than 48 hours later eager for an excuse to return. My time in the Queen City was brief, so I covered limited ground. Accordingly, these observations are impressions, rather than assertions. I’ll never know what it’s like to live in Cincinnati full-time, but I know what it’s like to have clocked 30,000 steps in 16 hours. Walking at Night It was almost 11 p.m. when I reached my AirBnB in Over-The-Rhine (or OTR, as I saw it abbreviated on storefronts). This would be my first

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

San Diego Ponders A Bid to Take Over Its For-Profit Energy Utility

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 21.80. affordable, affordable housing, housing, hud, project, rent, urban

(Photo by Getty Images via Grist) *This story was originally published by Grist.* Activists pushing San Diego to take over the city’s investor-owned utility aren’t letting last year’s defeat of a similar effort in Maine deter their goal of establishing a nonprofit power company. They recently submitted petitions bearing more than 30,000 signatures from residents who want the City Council to let voters decide the matter this fall. Advocates say a municipal takeover of San Diego Gas & Electric would deliver cheaper rates and a faster, more affordable, and more equitable transition to clean energ

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Seattle City Council’s Sidewalk Expansion Proposal May Be Infeasible

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.36. construction, house, project, rent, transportation, urban, walk, zone

Transportation Chair Saka’s goal of 500 blocks of sidewalks in five years likely isn’t achievable without more funding and broader changes, according to SDOT. The Seattle City Council is heading toward a final vote on the city’s next transportation levy, sending a package that will fund nearly a decade’s worth of transportation investments to voters in November. Over the past few weeks, no topic has been highlighted more by councilmembers more than the issue of filling in Seattle’s missing sidewalk network. With around 13,500 blocks citywide missing sidewalks — 27% of all city blocks — most of

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Feds Grant $30 Million to Finish Eastrail’s Final Gaps

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.25. construction, downtown, project, rent, transportation, urban

The planned 42-mile Eastrail bike and pedestrian corridor between Renton and Woodinville got a big boost Monday with the news that $30 million in federal funding is on its way to fill in some of the last remaining funding gaps. The awards, coming via the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RAISE) grant program, were announced by Senator Patty Murray ahead of an official announcement from the Biden Administration later this week. Eastrail as a whole is set to receive close to a third of the total dollars being distributed statew

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer