YIMBY News for 7/3

Eric Budd

Jul 3, 2024, 9:51:13 AMJul 3
to yimby...@googlegroups.com

“Designed to be Cruel”: How Grants Pass Will Ramp Up the Policing of Homelessness

BOLTSmag

KEYWORD SCORE: 34.27. affordable, affordable housing, house, housing, housing cost, housing crisis, income, preservation, rent, zoning

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last week in the *Grants Pass v. Johnson *case that cities can enforce bans on people sleeping outside even when they have nowhere else to go. In a 6-3 decision that fell along this conservative court’s usual ideological lines, the court upheld an Oregon city’s policy of doling out civil and criminal penalties to unhoused people who sleep outside even as the city lacked sufficient shelter. Unhoused plaintiffs had sued the city of Grants Pass in federal court, arguing that its camping ban violates the Eighth Amendment’s protections against cruel and unusual punishme

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Climate Commitment Act Repeal Imperils Port’s Pollution Reduction Efforts

The Urbanist

KEYWORD SCORE: 33.06. affordable, affordable housing, construction, development, house, housing, project, rent, supply, transportation, urban

Every day, 15,000 cargo trucks drive on Interstate 5, emitting high levels of particulate pollution in South Tacoma and Tacoma’s South End. But truck counts are more than just a number for Gemini Gnull. It’s her reality, living between warehouses and one of the busiest cargo ports in the United States. While the Washington State Department of Transportation doesn’t track the origins of trucks driving through this corridor, Gnull has experienced it firsthand: “There’s no way to separate the port and industry here.” “The area is very polluted,” said Gnull, who is a longtime resident and advocate

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

The Racist Legacy of San Diego’s Trolley Limits its Future

Streetsblog Net

KEYWORD SCORE: 24.75. development, downtown, growth, housing, project, rent, transportation

The first time I traveled to San Diego State University’s archives was last summer. I was conducting fieldwork to investigate how the trolley facilitates cross-border movement. Having crossed the international border almost every day during high school via public transit, I was familiar with the region’s transit system, but knew very little of its history. While I depended on the trolley for school, for my internship downtown, and for daily cross-border trips, infrequent service made exploring the South Bay – a region in San Diego County that encompasses Chula Vista, National City, Imperial Be

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Dangerous Road Infrastructure Makes Us Blind to Our Most Vulnerable Neighbors

Strong Towns

KEYWORD SCORE: 23.56. complete street, development, house, project, rent, site review, transportation, urban, walk

*This article** was originally published, in slightly different form, on Strong Towns **member** Will Gardner’s Substack,* *StrongHaven**. It is shared here with permission. In-line images were provided by the writer.* *(Source: **Oregon Department of Transportation** on Flickr.)* *Do you see them?* The kid coming home from middle school, waiting forever for the walk signal after pressing the beg button. The person using a walker on the side of the road because there’s no sidewalk. As you drive through town, do you notice them? The woman, looking tired after a long day’s work, sitting in the h

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Can Elections Still Help Defund Police?

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 21.44. house, housing, housing cost, rent, urban

(Photo by Backbone Campaign / CC BY 2.0) *This story originally appeared in Yes! Magazine.* The movement to shift funding away from policing and prisons and into social services and public safety programs gained significant traction four years ago during the George Floyd protests. Led by racial justice groups, including Black Lives Matter, protestors poured into the streets nationwide, carrying placards and chanting slogans such as “Care Not Cops!” and “Defund the Police!” Chris Harris, policy director at the Austin Justice Coalition, explains that the 2020 demands were rooted in a vision of p

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

I’m the Mayor of St. Paul. Here’s How Our City Is Erasing $100 Million in Medical Debt.

Next City

KEYWORD SCORE: 20.41. house, housing, income, urban

(Photo by Dzulhaidy Abdul Rahim / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0) We all deserve the right to access life-saving medical care without being trapped by staggering costs that leave us unable to pay for our housing, food and other basic needs. Over the next year, 43,000 residents of Saint Paul, Minnesota will receive a letter in the mail telling them that their medical debt – the crippling hospital bills that have been hanging over their head for years – have been paid off. Using federal pandemic relief funds, left over from the city’s response to COVID-19, to erase medical debt for our low-income neighbors is

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

New Transportation Equity Dashboard Finds Some Cities Trailing

Streetsblog Net

KEYWORD SCORE: 19.20. affordable, bike lane, project, rent, transportation, urban

This post is sponsored by The Bike Lane. Last week the NYC-based public transportation advocacy organization TransitCenter put out an updated version of its Transportation Equity Dashboard. This initiative measures how effectively bus and train systems in seven transit-friendly large U.S. cities, including Chicago, connect residents to jobs, education, retail, healthcare, and other amenities. The dashboard keeps track of public transportation schedules and fares while looking at Census figures on demographics, where people live, and where they need to go. The new-and-improved version also incl

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer

Wednesday’s Headlines Believe in Monsters

Streetsblog Net

KEYWORD SCORE: 18.44. development, house, rent, transit-oriented, transportation, urban, vision zero, walk

- Increasingly heavy vehicles, lax traffic enforcement and dangerous driving are among the reasons pedestrian deaths remain high in Vision Zero communities (Smart Cities Dive). Even Jim Farley, the CEO of Ford — which famously stopped manufacturing ordinary passenger cars in recent years — now says that the U.S. needs “radical change” away from “monster vehicles.” (Electrek) - Freeways ripped through Black neighborhoods and destroyed city tax bases in service to suburban car commuters, but government officials remain mostly indifferent. (Governing) - The Washington Post delves into how conserv

Share via: Twitter Facebook Buffer