Yi-Tan Tech Community Call #394 - Shareable Cities - 1:30pm Eastern, Monday 19 August, 2013

1 view

Jerry Michalski

Aug 18, 2013, 1:57:51 PM8/18/13
to Yi-Tan List
Greetings,

Cities are hot, and I'm not making a point about climate change. Cities are the locus of many interesting shifts in what we buy, how we live together and create community, how we design our spaces, how we govern ourselves and what we value.

In 2008, we crossed over: now more than half of all people in the world live in cities. By 2030 it should rise to 60% and by 2050, to 70%, turning 4 billion urbanites into 7 billion.

Catalyzed by recent financial crises as well as technological breakthroughs, "collaborative consumption" (also known as the sharing economy) is at the forefront of city revitalization. Fifteen cities recently signed a Shareable Cities Resolution, declaring their support for the sharing economy. Other public leaders around the world are taking notice, though the conversations are still early.

This call we'll focus on what it means to be a "shareable city." With April Rinne of Collaborative Lab, let's discuss:

  • What are the major facets of a shareable city?
  • Who is pioneering this trend? What are they doing?
  • What barriers show up on the way to sharing broadly?
  • How can shareable city transition activities be funded?
  • How might shareable cities evolve?

As always, an IRC chat will be available during the call at #yitan.

We tweet as @yitan (and use #yitan as our hashtag). Please follow us on Twitter. This page is on the web here.

Date: Monday, 2013-08-19

Time: 10:30am Pacific, 1:30pm Eastern

Dial: 1-626-677-3000, passcode 778778

See all the Yi-Tan calls in the weekly call archive or listen to the edited podcasts on the Blog. You can also listen to the shorter call summaries there.

Please feel free to forward this note to people you think would be interested in these calls. (To unsubscribe, just reply to me and I'll be happy to do so.)

Talk to you on the call!

Bestest,
Jerry

John Abbe

Aug 18, 2013, 6:39:35 PM8/18/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a really fantastic call, I am spreading the word among both urban-minded and gifting / sharing economy folks I know. See you all there...

Life,
John

Raines Cohen

Aug 18, 2013, 6:55:30 PM8/18/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com
I'm on the list, flagged this one as well. See you there!

Raines

Jerry Michalski

Aug 18, 2013, 7:07:40 PM8/18/13
to Steven Clift, Yi-Tan List
Yes, please!

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Steven Clift <cl...@e-democracy.org> wrote:

May I circulate this publicly on some lists?

Dean Collins

Aug 18, 2013, 7:12:19 PM8/18/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jerry,

Food for thought, please see attached map that was circulating the internetz last week showing how more of the worlds population lives within this circle…..and less in the rest of the world.

Although it’s a known and obvious fact……when you see it like this it blew my mind. Hopefully some discussion will be about the differences of what “makes up a city” in different parts of the world.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
de...@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357   New York
+61-2-9016-5642   (Sydney in-dial).
+44-20-3129-6001 (London in-dial).

--

there-are-more-people-living-inside-this-circle-than-outside-of-it.jpg

Bill Anderson

Aug 18, 2013, 10:35:56 PM8/18/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com
A good friend of mine, Michael McQueen, is a retired architect and he has been working on the idea of a "townlet" that combines many of the good things about urban and small town living. Read about it here: http://thetownlet.blogspot.com/

Bill

p.s. I will not be able to participate (durn it!).

Michael Thomas

Aug 19, 2013, 2:33:38 AM8/19/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com, Michael Thomas
Hello,

I'd like to add to this thought/thread the concept of 'disposable transportation' as an urban ingredient for sharing and mobility.

Please see car2go.com (http://www.car2go.com) which I have utilized many times over the last year, in concert with the Orca card (http://www.orcacard.com) for access to Puget Sound Transit systems.

We were recently in Portland Oregon, where we enjoyed Park/Ride access to TriMet MAX (http://trimet.org) to downtown from near the airport: highly effective, functional infrastructure that is energy efficient and maximizes mobility, time and network access.

Being on people level facilitates people networks.

Kind regards,

John Abbe

Aug 19, 2013, 8:08:26 AM8/19/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com
If you follow the "collaborative consumption" link in the call description, you get to a newish website which includes a directory of sharing services: http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/directory/

...which includes a whole category of car-sharing services: http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/directory-category/cars-b/

Your Orca card I didn't find there, and it might be a bit of a stretch to think of it as a sharing thing, but the development of those kind of all-transit passes certainly reduces friction a lot, so it would be nice to come up with a framing that included them. They quite often do involve different transit entities collaborating, and sharing information and perhaps funding.

What else is at the edges of the sorts of things in the directory? The tools section is pretty sparse. I remember there was a tool lending library in Berkeley when I lived there, so I was surprised to find that missing from http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/directory-category/tools-b/

For that matter, I didn't see libraries at all (!) in the books category (which was under entertainment, ah, the shortfall of simple hierarchical categorization systems).

Life,
John