Yi-Tan Tech Community Call #393 - Mobile Commerce - 1:30pm Eastern, Monday, August 5, 2013

1 view

Jerry Michalski

Aug 2, 2013, 9:53:47 PM8/2/13
to Yi-Tan List
Greetings,

As smartphones and tablets proliferated over the last five years, a constant question remained about the ability (or inability) to make money from the mobile point of purchase beyond the likes of Amazon or eBay. On the advertising front, the possibility of mobile display advertising being as profitable or effective as desktop and browser based was almost written off as not possible.

But now the real business results are astounding, from the success of mobile advertising (Facebook reported that mobile advertising revenue is now 30% of total, from nearly 0% ONE year ago, thanks to sponsored ads in news feeds) to retailers realizing they have a new channel where they can put their inventory at their customers fingertips, anytime, anywhere (Asos, an online only apparel retailer, said mobile traffic was 8% in August 2011. In May 2013, it was 30%) to businesses that fit so well with the location-based aspects mobile provides (Yelp says 40% of local ads were shown on mobile devices, from 36% in the previous quarter, and 59% of searches were on mobile (web + app).

With Brynne Thompson, let's discuss:

  • Which businesses  do you think “get” this dramatic shift, and which will be left behind?
  • What entirely new business models could emerge?
  • Which businesses are the new “ferrymen”, helping others get on the mobile bandwagon (Amazon? eBay?)
  • Are there any knock-on effects mobile commerce implies that we want to explore, such as a change in user buying patterns or how this impacts established brands?

As always, an IRC chat will be available during the call at #yitan.

We tweet as @yitan (and use #yitan as our hashtag). Please follow us on Twitter. This page is on the web here.

Date: Monday, 2013-08-05

Time: 10:30am Pacific, 1:30pm Eastern

Dial: 1-626-677-3000, passcode 778778

See all the Yi-Tan calls in the weekly call archive or listen to the edited podcasts on the Blog. You can also listen to the shorter call summaries there.

Please feel free to forward this note to people you think would be interested in these calls. (To unsubscribe, just reply to me and I'll be happy to do so.)

Talk to you on the call!

Bestest,

Jerry