Network Solutions seizes hundreds of domains

Dean Collins

May 14, 2013, 1:29:12 PM5/14/13
to Yi-...@googlegroups.com

FFS, You have got to be kidding, how is this even legal??

- http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/05/trade-sanctions-cited-in-hundreds-of-syrian-domain-seizures/

In apparent observation of international trade sanctions against Syria, a U.S. firm that ranks as the world’s fourth-largest domain name registrar has seized hundreds of domains belonging to various Syrian entities, including a prominent Syrian hacker group and sites associated with the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

I hope another country seizes everything and anything related to Network Solutions in retaliation (I think Brazil implemented something similar over the laptop searches last year)

The United states needs to wake up to itself and realize if you keep screwing with .com,.net and .org domains then countries around the world might just start routing around you.

I mean seriously folks how as techies can we continue to support the Obama administration’s efforts after watching videos like this

-FSA Insurgent Cuts out and Eats Heart of Syrian Soldier - http://on.fb.me/10ntB7a

This is what my taxes are being spent on this week, funding munitions and equipment so this guy can walk around cutting out hearts and eating them??? – all I have to say is….sorry but I’d like a tax refund on the taxes I pay in the USA as you aren’t spending it where I’d like it to go.

Regards,

Dean Collins

de...@cognation.net

+1-212-203-4357

+61-2-9016-4652  (Sydney in-dial)

+44-20-3129-6001 (London in-dial)

Michael Thomas

May 14, 2013, 2:04:30 PM5/14/13
to yi-...@googlegroups.com, Michael Thomas
Dean (and all),

This comes as now surprise, and it recalls an experience I had with Network Solutions that lead to an escalated e-mail exchange with Champ Mitchell, then CEO of Network Solutions.

This happened perhaps a decade ago: on recommendation of a trusted colleague, I chose a domain hosting service (iPower) and I had been having great experience with them. On renewal of my domain, I noticed that for a small fee they would also act as the domain name registrar.

At least two months before my domain expired, I began sending communication to Network Solutions regarding switching the registry. No replies. The week of the renewal deadline I reiterated my email and called Network Solutions. There was no one who could assist, and I left a voicemail that went unanswered.

Perhaps you can see where this is going?

On Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend, my domain went down for non-renewal of the registry. I had been f'd by Network Solutions.

I called their customer service with no result.

I found Champ Mitchell's email and fired off an email to bring this issue to his attention and ask for assistance.

Champ was 100% indifferent.

After several non-productive exchanges with Mr Mitchell over Saturday and Sunday, I decided to be decisive.

I spent over an hour reviewing ICANN rules and guidance regarding this situation. I found within the governance that signatories to ICANN (of which Network Solutions is one) are required to favor the client in this class of situation, regardless of monetary compensation, and that they are required to facilitate a transfer of domain name registry with all due course.

Only upon presentation of this fact did Mr Mitchell relent and issue instructions to Network Solutions technical staff regarding my issue.

And that is the last business I have ever had, or ever will, with NS.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Thomas

May 14, 2013, 6:10:54 PM5/14/13